Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On board air Air tank or no Air tank?

Old 02-27-2013, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default On board air Air tank or no Air tank?

Hey guys I just converted my sanden compressor to a air compressor and it rocks, The one thing im not sure on is whether or not I should get a little 1 or 2 gallon tank? What would be the benefits of a tank if they dont have very much capacity? I have a 5 gallon tank but thats rather bulky and I saw a thread where a guy ran a little 1 gallon in the undercarage of his xj back by the axle. So air tank or no air tank give me your opinions! Thanks guys
Old 02-27-2013, 12:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99 and '91

I'd say at least a small air tank helps relieve the work load from the compressor a bit.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:27 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: I6 4.0L

air tank, most deff. air tanks help run air tools, (impact guns, air ratchet, die grinders...) without the tank its harder to run the tools
Old 02-27-2013, 04:38 PM
Banned

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 HO

TANK check out the other thread on this. or check out on pirate or naxja. I love my viair tank duuuudeee
Old 02-27-2013, 06:04 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

I go rock crawling A LOT and none of us (about 15 xj, tj, yj and JK's) have OBA or have needed to run air tools. The only thing we need air for is to fill our tires and the occassional locker.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998

Mo-air = mo-betta! Look at some mini-truckin sites you can find 3-5 gallon slim tanks that are easy to tuck into tight spaces
Old 02-27-2013, 07:29 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001

Originally Posted by 1toughbuilder
TANK check out the other thread on this. or check out on pirate or naxja. I love my viair tank duuuudeee
X2 viair rocks
Old 02-27-2013, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by xjfirefighter
X2 viair rocks
I looked at the viair tanks and the prices are pretty reasonable but what size should i get? Id like to mount it like i had said which is in the undercarriage i want to stray away from inside the cab cause i don't want to give up and storage space
Old 02-28-2013, 06:19 AM

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by xjallseasons
I go rock crawling A LOT and none of us (about 15 xj, tj, yj and JK's) have OBA or have needed to run air tools. The only thing we need air for is to fill our tires and the occassional locker.
The "occassional" locker? Do you mean only a few of you have air actuated lockers or you only use your air actuated lockers occassionally?? It's a big world out there with all kinds of trails, I use my lockers a lot practically every time I go out! Also, When I bent my tailpipe back and almost completely kinked it, I could have used a hacksaw to get it off, but using a grinder made for quicker work and more wheeling!

To the OP, having an air tank is great because I don't have to run my pump every time I engage my locker. Instead the pump kicks on every half hour or so - and thats with a lot of locking/unlocking.

Last edited by G2WANIT; 02-28-2013 at 06:22 AM.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0, bolt ons for days...

C02.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:31 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001

Originally Posted by Siever_93
I looked at the viair tanks and the prices are pretty reasonable but what size should i get? Id like to mount it like i had said which is in the undercarriage i want to stray away from inside the cab cause i don't want to give up and storage space
I run a 2 gal. In the cargo area, doesn't take up too much room, minus all the junk back there and the vice grips holding the hatch up
Attached Thumbnails On board air Air tank or no Air tank?-forumrunner_20130228_103108.jpg  
Old 02-28-2013, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by xjfirefighter
I run a 2 gal. In the cargo area, doesn't take up too much room, minus all the junk back there and the vice grips holding the hatch up
I suppose I could give up some cargo room, luckily I made that cubby sub box now i wont have to give up too much ayy
Old 02-28-2013, 11:16 AM
Banned

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 HO

I don't run a locker yet. but im getting one from a guy that's helpin gme out for the front and im going to geta rear selectable AIR bay Air
Old 03-04-2013, 12:00 AM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Year: 1996

Originally Posted by G2WANIT
The "occassional" locker? Do you mean only a few of you have air actuated lockers or you only use your air actuated lockers occassionally?? It's a big world out there with all kinds of trails, I use my lockers a lot practically every time I go out! Also, When I bent my tailpipe back and almost completely kinked it, I could have used a hacksaw to get it off, but using a grinder made for quicker work and more wheeling!

To the OP, having an air tank is great because I don't have to run my pump every time I engage my locker. Instead the pump kicks on every half hour or so - and thats with a lot of locking/unlocking.
Wheeling isnt for pussies. We go out to break it not drive ours back to use it as a grocery getter. Some of us have "air" lockers, some of us have mechanical lockers and most of us have electrical lockers, so the "occassional locker" is meant for your grocery getter.

I understand getting things done quicker and kinking an exhaust is a pain in the a##, but we install our parts with no AIR. Air is a convenience, takes up a lot of space and is expensive.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by xjallseasons
Wheeling isnt for pussies. We go out to break it not drive ours back to use it as a grocery getter. Some of us have "air" lockers, some of us have mechanical lockers and most of us have electrical lockers, so the "occassional locker" is meant for your grocery getter.

I understand getting things done quicker and kinking an exhaust is a pain in the a##, but we install our parts with no AIR. Air is a convenience, takes up a lot of space and is expensive.
I'm sorry but I dont understand the need for your language and cockiness none of us showed any form of disrespect so I'd appreciate it if you didn't either

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: On board air Air tank or no Air tank?