Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bilstein 5150 with 4.5" lift

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Bilstein 5150 with 4.5" lift

I think I've decided on the 5150s for my XJ. Just really up in the air on the size I should go with. That and if I should even drop the coin to replace what I have, or just wait a bit and spend the money on more important things.

I have Rusty's 4.5" springs and my old skyjacker shocks have seen better days. Rusted, dented a bit and the boots are beat up. They still resist extension and compression, but do not extend on their own. Any shock I have dealt with does, so is this normal with some shocks, or are they in fact worn out? If it is normal, I may just wait and spend the money on something else. (Like a steering wheel for my PS3/GT5)

If I do replace them, here are my current shock measurements/plans/thoughts.

Extended: 28.5"
Collapsed: 17.25"
Travel: 11.25"

If it was sitting on the bumpstops, it would leave a little bit before the shock was bottomed out. Could get some measurements, but it's way too cold out to mess with that right now.

Before I measured my current shocks, this is what I was looking at for replacements.

Travel: 10.17"
Extended: 25.9"
Collapsed: 15.9"

Basically, I'll lose an inch of travel and have an overall shorter shock. After taking into account that I will need a stem-to-eyelet adapter, I figured they would add about two inches to the overall length. Being that I have the little extra room, it could be the perfect collapsed length at 17.9" (If I'm correct on the adapter length), then I would only be losing about 0.6" in extended length and usable travel. So really, it's looking a little better.

So me being me, I started to worry about whether I would want more travel then that. Really don't want to end up spending the money again because I didn't plan ahead. The reason being, I plan to add around 1" (maybe slightly more) spacers in the near future to level the front out with the back. Right now, it's got a bit of rake that really annoys me.

So then, I started looking at these (since the 11" travel only comes in the 170/60 valving)...

Travel: 11.94"
Extended: 29.7"

Collapsed: 17.9"

Now taking into account the adapter again, this would leave me much longer at the collapsed length then I think is acceptable. (Which is why I'm asking on here, because I'm not as knowledgeable on this yet.) I really like the sound of almost twelve inches of travel and the extra overall length. So I guess what I'm wondering, is am I correct with the measurement issues after taking the adapters into account, and do I even really need the extra travel?

I don't do any rock crawling(there are none around here), this is mostly a camping rig that I take on the local trails with maybe a log to cross over every once in a while. I do like to make it as capable as possible though, just in case I do come across something that requires that little bit more. Eventually, I plan to road trip with my XJ, stopping in different areas to camp and wheel.

So what do you think, am I fine with the 10.17" travel shocks and just over thinking this; or would the 12" travel shock work and the issues I'm thinking I will have not really be present/have a way around them.

Last edited by el_roy1985; 01-28-2011 at 10:20 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:17 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1998

Originally Posted by el_roy1985
They still resist extension and compression, but do not extend on their own. Any shock I have dealt with does, so is this normal with some shocks, or are they in fact worn out?

Travel: 11.94"255/70 Extended: 29.7" Collapsed: 17.9"
Your shocks are worn out. i have the 29.7 17.9 on my jeep with a rubi express 5.5 lift and they are about as big as you wanna go. i would go with a smaller shock or just get the 5100s that are 25/15
Old 01-28-2011, 10:18 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1998

how long are yours now?? get the same size...
Old 01-28-2011, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you ever had them bottom out on you, and do you know how much length the adapters added? Essentially I'll be at the same lift height, so it should work for me if it works for you. I'll have to do some measuring tomorrow to see just how much room I would have for the shocks when hitting the bumpstop.

I got as close as I could with being the same size, I'm just trying to figure out the variables of having to use the adapters. Otherwise, I would go with the 11.94" travel shock no questions asked.