Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bedlined Interior Prep Questions (for those of you that have done it)

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 04:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Bedlined Interior Prep Questions (for those of you that have done it)

I was hoping that some of you (who have successfully bed-lined your interiors) could help me out. Next weekend I'm planning on prepping my interior for bed lining.

My prep plans are as follows:
-Vacuum out my sand filled interior.
-Scuff floors the with a 180 grit cup brush on a variable speed polisher.
-Fill holes (except
-Clean and degrease the area to be coated.
-Apply 2 coats of Al's heat and noise reducer. Link
-Apply 2 coats of Monstaliner

If I'm missing any steps in the prep please let me know! I haven't found any rust spots so I don't think priming is necessary.

I'm also needing advice on the two areas outlined in the below image.

-How did you remove the foil/ tar sound deadener (outlined in red)?
-How did you prep the tar/ thick sealant around the edges of the floors (outlined in blue)?

Thanks for all of your help!
Old 02-08-2015, 04:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I Raptor lined mine. I left the sound deadener on the floor and in the rear over the gas tank. After a ton of sanding I used self etching primer on any bare metal spots and used duplicolor adhesion promoter over any hard to reach areas and on the sound deadener. So far it has held up very well.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 I6

When I got my XJ the sound deadener was covered by another piece of metal welded over it for no apparent reason. You pretty much have all your steps down.
Make sure to be pretty liberal with the heat reduced around the transmission unless you like hot legs like I do.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:33 AM

Thanks for the input guys.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:56 AM

Year: 1996

I monstalined the interior of mine and just followed the instructions that monstaliner provided and even used the scuff pads they provided in the kit. I'm pretty sure they have the instructions online if they did not come in your kit. Mined turned out great, it's been about 6 months and still good to go. I think you'll really like the monstaliner! Great product!
Old 02-09-2015, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by tnel74
I monstalined the interior of mine and just followed the instructions that monstaliner provided and even used the scuff pads they provided in the kit. I'm pretty sure they have the instructions online if they did not come in your kit. Mined turned out great, it's been about 6 months and still good to go. I think you'll really like the monstaliner! Great product!
Thanks man!

What did you use on the areas outlined in blue and red?

Also how much did you end up needing (1 gallon or 2)?

Old 02-09-2015, 07:00 PM

I don't know about the red because my jeep did not have that. If the blue is the weird kinda bondo areas or whatever it is I just prepped it and rolled the monstaliner on thick. I went with the 2 gallon kit and did 3 coats I think and had about a 1/4 gallon left. Get a couple extra textured rollers, they start breaking apart and so it's good to be able to switch it out when that happens.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:40 PM

Wow that looks great! You did a really good job. I'll pick up 2 buckets and plenty of rollers. Thanks for the info!
Old 02-09-2015, 08:58 PM

No problem! Glad I could help!
Old 02-09-2015, 09:10 PM

Hey I rechecked my order real quick and I only got the one-gallon kit. And Im unsure whether we did 2 or three coats. It may have been 2 but it was really thick 2 coats and you could still use the 1/4 gallon left to do a lighter 3rd coat if you want. sorry about that!
Old 02-10-2015, 05:04 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by tnel74
Hey I rechecked my order real quick and I only got the one-gallon kit. And Im unsure whether we did 2 or three coats. It may have been 2 but it was really thick 2 coats and you could still use the 1/4 gallon left to do a lighter 3rd coat if you want. sorry about that!
Great job!!!
How has the material held up and performed?
Is it a good sound deadener and heat barrier?
Old 02-11-2015, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by RRXJeeper71
Great job!!!
How has the material held up and performed?
Is it a good sound deadener and heat barrier?
The material has held up good! I didn't do any heavy duty testing on it till like after a month just to make sure it was fully cured, but I throw metal back there now and cruze around and it holds up good! The cabin is a significant bit noisier after and especially the back wheel wells when there's water on the road. The heat doesn't bother me too much but I have a trans cooler that I've noticed had helped a little. The main thing is just the engine noise to me. The engine noise can get annoying at times
Old 02-11-2015, 12:04 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: I6 H.O, 99 manifold, APN header, neon injectors, cowl intake, screamin demon ignition system

Originally Posted by Invisible Hand
I was hoping that some of you (who have successfully bed-lined your interiors) could help me out. Next weekend I'm planning on prepping my interior for bed lining.

My prep plans are as follows:
-Vacuum out my sand filled interior.
-Scuff floors the with a 180 grit cup brush on a variable speed polisher.
-Fill holes (except
-Clean and degrease the area to be coated.
-Apply 2 coats of Al's heat and noise reducer. Link
-Apply 2 coats of Monstaliner

If I'm missing any steps in the prep please let me know! I haven't found any rust spots so I don't think priming is necessary.

I'm also needing advice on the two areas outlined in the below image.

-How did you remove the foil/ tar ound deadener (outlined in red)?
-How did you prep the tar/ thick sealant around the edges of the floors (outlined in blue)?

Thanks for all of your help!
I didn't even sand it. Power wash it then shop vac it. When dry spray it with a coat of self etching primer then do Bedliner. Worked perfect
Old 02-12-2015, 05:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

Just curious... Why Bedliner vs a durable paint? I went to put my new racing seats in, realized im going to have to make a bracket and then saw how disgusting my carpet had gotten. It seems like regular smooth paint would be easier to clean than a rough Bedliner.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Ianf406
Just curious... Why Bedliner vs a durable paint? I went to put my new racing seats in, realized im going to have to make a bracket and then saw how disgusting my carpet had gotten. It seems like regular smooth paint would be easier to clean than a rough Bedliner.
I agree with you regarding the rough texture being hard to clean. The bedliner I'm going with isn't textured with granules. It much smoother. See below, its the bedliner on the left.

Quick Reply: Bedlined Interior Prep Questions (for those of you that have done it)