Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bar pin eliminators, do I have the wrong shock?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Bar pin eliminators, do I have the wrong shock?

was going to install some bar pin eliminators when I ran into this...
A little over half inch on the rear axle... Don't think I want all that play down there Shocks are from RC, looks to me I got the wrong shocks with the kit?Not only that but the bar pin is inside the shock they sent me... With the bar pin in the bushing its fitted for the bar pin, correct? If so then I cant even use that bushing if I take the bar pin out... Let alone the half inch of play. Or am I doing something wrong? These bar pin eliminators are new to me...
Old 07-18-2012, 12:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: I6

what does the other end of the shock look like. the bar pin(your first pic) is supposed to mount to the chassis and the other end to the axle. with a BPE you will remove the bar and replace it with parts for your BPE kit. again this is all chassis mounted side. the axle mounted side should stay the same as stock
Old 07-18-2012, 12:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0, bolt ons for days...

I'm confused. The side with the bar pin is the body side, and has nothing to do with the axle side mount.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:32 PM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

It looks more like 1/4 play to me which honestly isn't too bad as the movement is up and down, you could always add some 1/2"? Washers simple enough. The shocks they sent you didn't come with any extra bushings or anything? I never recieve mine assembled with the bushing and all. What is on the other side of the shock? Did they specify front or rear shocks?

Last edited by Lead Foot; 07-18-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by The_ocho
what does the other end of the shock look like. the bar pin(your first pic) is supposed to mount to the chassis and the other end to the axle. with a BPE you will remove the bar and replace it with parts for your BPE kit. again this is all chassis mounted side. the axle mounted side should stay the same as stock
The other end measures at 1" with a 1 and 1/2" bushing... But in the directions the pic shows the shocks reversed where the shock mount is actually upside down. Cant copy the pic but heres the link to the pic http://www.roughcountry.com/install/1089.pdf
Old 07-18-2012, 12:34 PM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

Use the bushings out of your stock shocks if they aren't all torn up. Simple enough. Mount the shock body up or else the body will hit the axle tube.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Lead Foot
That's not a BPE. BPE's are used to remove the stub on the top of the front shocks.

LOL do you have any idea of what a BPE is ?

a BPE does not remove the stub at the top of the shock. It removes the Bar Pin at the Bottom Mount on the FRONT shock and Bar Pin on the TOP of the Rear shock, Thus the name BAR PIN Eliminator !
Old 07-18-2012, 12:42 PM

Nevermind guys I am a idiot with a lack of sleep... The pic was deceiving and made it look like the shock was mounted upside down... So forgive me and this pointless post. But now you can explain to the guy above what a BPE is lol
Old 07-18-2012, 12:48 PM

Ok maybe not, the top pic is the part that mounts to the BPE but it is only 1" thick the BPE bracket and the sleeve for the BPE is 1 and a 1/2? Is that how they are designed to move around a little up top to the chassis mount?
Old 07-18-2012, 12:51 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by jmccallie
Nevermind guys I am a idiot with a lack of sleep... The pic was deceiving and made it look like the shock was mounted upside down... So forgive me and this pointless post. But now you can explain to the guy above what a BPE is lol

I know exactly what a BPE is I run them on my XJ front and Rear !

The guy I quoted obvioulsy did not know what the hell he was talking about

This is a BPE :

To me it seemed like he was talking about a Eye-Stud adapter for a shock.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:52 PM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

Originally Posted by Tom95YJ
LOL do you have any idea of what a BPE is ?

a BPE does not remove the stub at the top of the shock. It removes the Bar Pin at the Bottom Mount on the FRONT shock and Bar Pin on the TOP of the Rear shock, Thus the name BAR PIN Eliminator !
Sorry. I was thinking ahead of myself. This is what I was thinking of.
http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-su...s-mounts-1?p=2

Which would technically eliminate a bar pin. Just not exactly what everyone else was talking about. I honestly have never had to buy BPE's on my jeeps so I was a little foggy with the concept.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:54 PM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

I know exactly what a BPE is I run them on my XJ front and Rear !

The guy I quoted obvioulsy did not know what the hell he was talking about

This is a BPE :

To me it seemed like he was talking about a Eye-Stud adapter for a shock.
No need to get an attitude man. Calm down. The OP was reffering to me in his last comment not you. Chill.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:59 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Lead Foot
Sorry. I was thinking ahead of myself. This is what I was thinking of.
http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-su...s-mounts-1?p=2

Which would technically eliminate a bar pin. Just not exactly what everyone else was talking about. I honestly have never had to buy BPE's on my jeeps so I was a little foggy with the concept.
That is not designed to eliminate a bar pin at all, That is designed to be used on the upper end of a shock with an Eyelet instead of a stud. It bolts to the eyelet an allows it to be adapted to use on a stud type mount like below :

Old 07-18-2012, 01:08 PM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

That is not designed to eliminate a bar pin at all, That is designed to be used on the upper end of a shock with an Eyelet instead of a stud. It bolts to the eyelet an allows it to be adapted to use on a stud type mount like below :

Hey dumb ***. Did I say it was designed to eliminate a bar pin? No. Could it eliminate a bar pin? YES!! Is it designed for the top of the front shocks like I originally said in my first post and you clarified in this post? YES!! I already said I made a mistake and was foggy on the subject of BPE's as I have never needed them with my setups. If you got something to prove for some self glorified reason do it elsewhere. I apologized for my inaccurate statement. Can you apologize for being a dick or is that beneath you along with making mistakes and typing before you think?
Old 07-18-2012, 01:15 PM

Was not picking of either of you to begin with to make that clear... I was saying sorry to have made a pointless post, and that since my post was what I thought at the time dumb that you could atleast explain to lead foot. And it was not meant as sarcasm.

Anyways back on my question the top BPE bracket that connects to the chassis measures at 1 1/2" as does the sleeve, however the bushing on the top of the shock only measures 1"... So not so much a question about having the wrong shock, but should I have a 1 1/2" bushing up there in between the bracket? Otherwise i will have a 1/2 of play in between the bushing and bracket.

Quick Reply: Bar pin eliminators, do I have the wrong shock?