Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bad poping in front end when turning left

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 06:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 H.O. K&N, Borla headers, custom down pipe, magnaflow hi-flo cat, flowmaster to turn down tip
Default bad poping in front end when turning left

so i have a detroit true track up front and resently went offroad with my jeep. i was running it in 2wd the whole time but i was hitting pot holes, mud pits and bumpy roads the whole time at about 25mph. now i have what sounds like a steering pop but a whole bunch of them and only when i turn left. my only thought right now is that one of the gears is busted inside the locker itself, cause my inner axle u-joints are good, and the driveshaft is good. what else could it be that makes this noise when only turning left, and it does it at 5mph and 30mph...
Old 02-07-2011, 07:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 HO I6

Crank it up, and have someone turn the wheel back and forth while you are under the front end. See if you can see what is moving. If it's only doing it when you are turning, then I wouldn't see why it would be an issue in your diff. Diff has nothing to do with turning. Chances are you have a bushing gone bad somewhere or you wasted a TRE or a bolt is lose in your steering linkage somewhere. I would pay close attention to the frame side trackbar mount.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gpXJ
Crank it up, and have someone turn the wheel back and forth while you are under the front end. See if you can see what is moving. If it's only doing it when you are turning, then I wouldn't see why it would be an issue in your diff. Diff has nothing to do with turning. Chances are you have a bushing gone bad somewhere or you wasted a TRE or a bolt is lose in your steering linkage somewhere. I would pay close attention to the frame side trackbar mount.
Track bar is loose mine did the same thing depending on what type of track bar you have the louder it is when they go bad

Easy fix good luck
Old 02-07-2011, 07:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0 HO I6

Originally Posted by Rinojeep93
Track bar is loose mine did the same thing depending on what type of track bar you have the louder it is when they go bad

Easy fix good luck

That's my guess. I have a RE with the heim joint. My wife thought the rig was gonna fall apart it was popping so bad
Old 02-07-2011, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by gpXJ

That's my guess. I have a RE with the heim joint. My wife thought the rig was gonna fall apart it was popping so bad
Yea deffitly go get your self a new one I have a JKS one and it is great they have awsom technology twords that bar ha

http://store.jksmfg.com/merchant2/me...bar_Components
Old 02-07-2011, 11:29 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 H.O. K&N, Borla headers, custom down pipe, magnaflow hi-flo cat, flowmaster to turn down tip

the track bar i have is fairly new and it is a solid bushing on both sides with a aftermarket drop bracket i will check it but it feels just like i broke my spider gears, but i dont have any and it doesnt do it all the time. i will also check my steering linkage cause i know it is loose already
Old 02-07-2011, 11:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Year: 89
Engine: 4.0

check your ball joints also
Old 02-08-2011, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995

That's interesting, I have the same problem which sounds like I have the same set up as you. I have checked & tightened everything. I don't notice it as much as I use to but I did have a bad steering stabilizer also but not sure if that was it or not.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:22 PM
CF Veteran

well i rolled down my winndow and actually sounds like the breaks is grinding against the wheel but in a poping motion, almost it like the disc was warpped and hitting something, but it only does it under hard acceleration on a left turn not the right, and doesnt do it if i go around a corner really slow, so i dont think it is my diff
Old 02-11-2011, 02:11 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 6.0

haha thats good to know that sound was the trac bar...mine made that noise until i lifted it so i had no clue, i thought i was gunna b replacing my front end at first then it just went away after the lift so i quit worrrying about it
Old 02-11-2011, 09:25 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 99

have you checked all the bolts on the track bar and made sure ALL of them are very tight?

have you taken the diff cover off to inspect the inside?

are you sure your u-joints are good? because they can cause popping sounds

have you taken your tires off to inspect the brakes?

have you had a friend help you? they turn the wheel back in forth while you watch the front end
Old 02-11-2011, 09:31 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 rebuilt w/ bored TB, banks header, upgraded ignition, 3 row rad, high flow h2o pump, 180* t-stat

do a dry park test. Have a buddy turn the wheel back and forth, just so he takes the play out each way, while you look at TRE's, ball joints, LCA's, bushings etc.

recheck your inner axle u-joints. 1/32" of play in a u joint can cause it pop, especially if your locked up front. easy test, crap each yolk of your axle and put your finger in between the ears and twist. If you feel the yolks tighten on your finger AT ALL, the joint is bad

I'd almost bet $ that it's the U joint on the drivers side axle shaft (because it's the shorter of the two, It sees more torsional stress, especially while locked)
Old 02-11-2011, 10:33 PM
CF Veteran

and so all of this trouble was caused by a failing and falling apart passenger side wheel bearing...replaced it with a spare and all is good now!
Old 02-12-2011, 02:55 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 96
Engine: 6 cylinder

This is happening with my jeep also but it doesn't matter what way I turn. I had my dad turn the wheel for me while I search the front end. The track bar was moving at the axle end I replaced the bolt and it has been good for a week untill today. I was going to advance auto and when I turned into there parking lot I hit a pot hole and it did it starting popping again.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:09 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by phillyxj570
This is happening with my jeep also but it doesn't matter what way I turn. I had my dad turn the wheel for me while I search the front end. The track bar was moving at the axle end I replaced the bolt and it has been good for a week untill today. I was going to advance auto and when I turned into there parking lot I hit a pot hole and it did it starting popping again.
check your steering linkage, also jack up the front end and try to shake the tires back and forth, that will tell you if your hub bearings are bad

Quick Reply: bad poping in front end when turning left