Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backup aux lights

Old 06-28-2014, 12:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Backup aux lights

M looking for some ideas to mount my rear aux lights. I have a 13.5" led bar. I don't have a roof rack, but I was thinking of taking out the rear wiper and flush mounting the light bar bar there above the license plate. Anyone else have any ideas? Or pictures of your own set up?
Thanks
Old 06-28-2014, 01:29 PM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0
Default Where I put mine, And another Idea

An Idea for you is if your capable just drill a couple holes and mount them beneath the bumper. I don't know what you got going on behind...haha...But anyway, behind and beneath the rear door seemed good enough for that kinda thing before I got rid of my stock bumpers.

Using the bumper is wiser than using that rear door. They could leak eventually, split the fiberglass if you yank on them wrong...Or usually the case if somebody else yanks on it wrong.

I just used one of the new bumper's mounting holes for a spare tire rack, and Picked up some fog lights. Stole power from the original reverse lights.
Attached Thumbnails Backup aux lights-p82a0055.jpg   Backup aux lights-p82a0056.jpg  
Old 06-28-2014, 02:55 PM

I like how the bumper protects that light. And mine is actually a 98 so the rear hatch is not fiberglass
Old 06-29-2014, 01:22 AM

Year: 1988

I actually liked your idea with the light bar on the door above the license plate. If you pull it off let me know how it turns out.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:46 PM

Yeah I'll post up some pictures if that's what I decide to do, definitely
Old 07-03-2014, 09:48 PM

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Year: 98, 00, 01 and another 01
Engine: both 01 jeeps have viper coil pack

What do you want them to illuminate? If it is just the hitch area, weld a piece of something under the receiver and bolt the lights to it.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Most i have seen used like a small fog or driving light under the bumper or on top of the roof.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 88

I have mine mounted in the hatch one on each side of the license plate, I also have a fiberglass hatch with no rear wiper. So I used the old wiring already there and hooked up everything and can manual control them for my needs.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:42 PM

I don't really want them any lower than the receiver because of possible ground clearance issues. And I don't want it to be off center. Since I only have one bar for the rear I would ideally like it to be centerered.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Two led on the bumper, two oem and two led on the roof rack..Backup aux lights-uploadfromtaptalk1404698612683.jpg
Old 07-06-2014, 11:23 PM

I have a few friends who bought the flush mount 2x2's and put them in the hatch! Came out very nice! That's what I plan to do, 2 flush mounts on hatch, and 2 more in the bumper (and led reverse bulbs) I think you can never really have too much light behind you (for backing up) just make sure nothing is hanging down or sticking out too far
Old 07-07-2014, 07:35 PM

Year: 1999

I used two led flush mount pods in the rear bumper. I think they are 6 LEDs each. Very bright, all the light I need
Old 11-03-2014, 01:19 AM

Engine: 4.0 I6

Hey guys O know this thread is pretty old but I've been thinking about flush mounting a pair of LED fog lights in my rear bumper and was hoping someone could tell me how they did it. Did you have to cut through the steel inner bumper? Also I'd like to wire mine into the reverse light circuit (like the fog lights I have mounted ON the bumper in front of the stock tail lights right now) but also have a toggle dswitch in the cab so I can switch them on or off manually in case I need to use them as a work light or whatever. How could I go about doing both of those things? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by M4RK
Hey guys O know this thread is pretty old but I've been thinking about flush mounting a pair of LED fog lights in my rear bumper and was hoping someone could tell me how they did it. Did you have to cut through the steel inner bumper? Also I'd like to wire mine into the reverse light circuit (like the fog lights I have mounted ON the bumper in front of the stock tail lights right now) but also have a toggle dswitch in the cab so I can switch them on or off manually in case I need to use them as a work light or whatever. How could I go about doing both of those things? Thanks in advance.
Well, my progress has halted temporarily due to nursing school and the jeep has a knock. So, possibly a new motor then I won't get much more work done till winter break. But, I'm probably gonna fab up some brackets and go with two lights coming off the roof rack rails.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:01 PM

Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by young33

Well, my progress has halted temporarily due to nursing school and the jeep has a knock. So, possibly a new motor then I won't get much more work done till winter break. But, I'm probably gonna fab up some brackets and go with two lights coming off the roof rack rails.
Out don't like them inside the bumper? I thought about putting them up high and that's probably better for seeing more surrounding area but I'm not sure if I'd get any static with the cops around here if they saw them light up from the roof. I couldn't find anything in the laws here saying its illegal but still...

Plus I no longer have my factory crossbars. Tried to mount my spare tire to them and it just bounced up and down on them till they fell apart. At some point I'd like to have aux. Lights up top on all 4 sides but right now I really want them in the rear bumper. I got these rainbow tinted cheap fog lights for super cheap that I'm using as reverse lights now. They're mounted on top of the rear bumper right in front of the stock reverse lights in my taillights. They're still much better than stock but look cheap and kind of out of place.

I'd really like to know exactly what I gotta do to cut square holes in the rear bumper and mount some flush mount Cree LED fog lights.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Backup aux lights