Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

audio/charging

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default audio/charging

I just have a few questions about how much aftermarket audio equipment my cherokee can handle. I have the stock 90 amp alternator and everything is stock at the moment. Whats the biggest amp I can put on my jeep without harming the alternator or draining the battery? I currently have an amp of about 4x111 rms watts and a 400 rms amp for my subs. If I were to upgrade my alternator with one of ebay (which is kind of sketchy) because the powermaster ones are like 400$ to a 170 amp would that handle the load better? Also what else other than the big three would I need to change along with the alternator? I won't be playing the music more than like 2/3 volume. If I can I want to power the system with my stock alternator. Any advice or tips would be appreciated!
Old 01-19-2014, 06:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

160amp alternator from a Dodge Durango (about $130 for a reman'd unit from the parts store), and $15 for a harbor freight angle grinder.

You need to clearance the bracket a little, and the block a very little. About 10-15mins of grinding. Took me about an hour to have everything bolted up, but way longer to build my own upgraded battery cables.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:08 PM

[QUOTE=investinwaffles;2745334]160amp alternator from a Dodge Durango (about $130 for a reman'd unit from the parts store), and $15 for a harbor freight angle grinder.

You need to clearance the bracket a little, and the block a very little. About 10-15mins of grinding. Took me about an hour to have everything bolted up, but way longer to build my own upgraded battery cables.[/QUOTE

Does the year of dodge Durango matter? Or are all their alternators the same?
Old 01-19-2014, 07:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 99 94
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: I6

You don't need another alt. You can figure out how many amps your amp will pull by doing some math with your rms.
People who need bigger alternators are running extra lights, winch, air pumps, maybe dual electric fans.
If your just going to run the amp you will be fine. If you get to 111rms on the main normal speakers your ears are going to be hurting. Cut that in half.

Last edited by MonacaYankee; 01-19-2014 at 07:16 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:29 PM

Year: 1999

Originally Posted by MonacaYankee
You don't need another alt. You can figure out how many amps your amp will pull by doing some math with your rms.
People who need bigger alternators are running extra lights, winch, air pumps, maybe dual electric fans.
If your just going to run the amp you will be fine. If you get to 111rms on the main normal speakers your ears are going to be hurting. Cut that in half.
X 2. I always say more is better, so a 160A alternator would be nice to have (just for all of the reasons posted above) but you don't need it for that little amp.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98

Originally Posted by G_cleav
Does the year of dodge Durango matter? Or are all their alternators the same?
1998 Durango if you have a Pre '99 Cherokee. 2003 Durango if you have a 99+.

Do it for fun if yours is the original factory alt. Only costs a little more than putting in a stock replacement. The alternator's voltage regulator is actually in the jeep PCM computer or whatever (externally regulated) so it will only put out the current that is demanded (I think it is dictated by charging system voltage and battery temp. IIRC - More voltage drop triggers the alternator to spit out more amps, but dont quote me on that).