Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another death wobble issue, feel like I've checked everything

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Another death wobble issue, feel like I've checked everything

To preface, my jeep is lifted 4.5" with short arms, SYE in the rear, and 6 degree shims to correct the pinion angle. The track bar is brand new, all control arms are brand new, steering stabilizer is brand new, and I have new wheels and tires that have now been balanced and rotated twice (I originally thought this was a balancing issue)

I can cruise easily to 80mph (on 3.55s and 32s) with only a slight shimmy and vibration in the wheel. I think this is just being masked by my new steering stabilizer (like all you say, it's just a band aid). Also new UCA bushings on the axle end. Yesterday, on the way home on a freeway cruising at only 55, I hit the *smallest* bump. I could barely feel it in my seat, and then all the sudden BAM BRBBRBRBRBRB death wobble. I knew what happened so I handled it fine and pulled over. The vibration stopped once I got under 30mph

I have checked all my bolts for proper torque. The track bar is tight and the hole is round. The tie rod ends are all fine (can be turned with two hands on the link, but not that bad and no lateral play). My wheel bearings and ball joints also tested fine.

Honestly at this point I have exhausted all my resources and can't think of anything else to check. Before it goes to a 4 wheel mechanic, does anyone else have something for me to look at?
Old 10-18-2016, 01:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Your steering gear spacer may be cracked, They are aluminum and known to crack out leaving the box not tight on the frame.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by WyoCherokee
Your steering gear spacer may be cracked, They are aluminum and known to crack out leaving the box not tight on the frame.
What would be the best way to confirm if this spacer is cracked? Is there any way to besides completely removing the box?
Old 10-18-2016, 11:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Checked/done an alignment??
Old 10-19-2016, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by LACK
Checked/done an alignment??
Yeah I got a professional alignment right after I installed the lift components. I also just checked my steering spacer and it is not cracked or loose
Old 10-19-2016, 09:58 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996

Originally Posted by Tubur
Yeah I got a professional alignment right after I installed the lift components. I also just checked my steering spacer and it is not cracked or loose
Have you had someone turn the wheel as you watch carefully all of the components such as track bar, drag link, steering components etc?
Old 10-19-2016, 10:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

What track bar are you using? Is it a new stock one or an adjustable?
Old 10-19-2016, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by HYRYSC
Have you had someone turn the wheel as you watch carefully all of the components such as track bar, drag link, steering components etc?
Multiple times now. The only thing I noticed is that some of my TRE boots are cracked, but by no means are any of them loose or have bad play.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Jeepin'_Aint_EZ
What track bar are you using? Is it a new stock one or an adjustable?
It's an adjustable one, also came with the proper bracket so my geometry between the TB and drag link are parallel.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:31 PM

Year: 1998

Try checking the bolt hole where the track bar goes into the axle, I replaced my track bar and the death wobble got worse! The front hole where the track bar bolts up to the axle was all wallered out and gave it just enough room to shake the rear nut loose and give the track bar some slop to walk back and forth. This gave me some bad death wobble. I welded a washer over it to correct the hole size.

Last edited by tedparis; 10-19-2016 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996

Originally Posted by Tubur
Multiple times now. The only thing I noticed is that some of my TRE boots are cracked, but by no means are any of them loose or have bad play.
Well you could do mount a gopro or similar under the front bumper and take it for a ride and see what happens when the shaking starts.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 01, 99, 98, 98,98

Attached Thumbnails Another death wobble issue, feel like I've checked everything-image.jpeg  
Old 10-19-2016, 11:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 01, 99, 98, 98,98

Retorque all the bolts on the control arms and trac bar? If everything else is tight I could only suspect ball joints or hub bearings.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:46 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 I6

did you check your tire pressure? it may just be an issue with that. I run a 3 inch budget boost in the front no doors and a chopped back. I had death wobble on anything over 65 which was terrible because of the interstate on my daily commute. 5 pounds made a huge difference in speed before wobble. one thing I've learned is that stupid things can cause problems too. just try changing the tire psi a bit till you find a happy pressure if you run oversized tires the previous owner had 185/75r17 on mine havent gotten around to upgrades but I find slightly less then 30 psi which is recommended helps ride quality and death wobble. if you cant find the issue maybe it could be an excuse for more upgrades
Old 10-25-2016, 12:11 PM

Update: steering spacer is fine. All bolts are torqued in the front end. Tire pressure is fine. Track bar is tight and holes aren't ovaled out. It's adjusted properly and the geometry is ok.

Only thing I've found is a bad u joint in the passenger front axle. I'm going to replace both u joints in the front axle, but I don't think that will help my death wobble issue. Any other ideas would be appreciated...

Quick Reply: Another death wobble issue, feel like I've checked everything