Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I asking for too much? Is this normal Handleing???

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 07:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Am I asking for too much? Is this normal Handleing???

I have been trying to "tweak" my newly lifted XJ. He are the facts:

1. This is my first 4x4, lifted vehicle, and Jeep

2. I am mechanically inclined (did the lift by my self, with a jack, jackstands, airtools, and beer, and 3-4 days. I've done my timing belt service on my old Lexus V8, intank fuel pumps, complete control arms bushing swaps (PITA) on the Lexus. I'm no pro, but learn quick.

3. I have NOTHING to reference my XJ's ride to, other than other full size trucks I've driven (My old Lightning, Duramax Diesel's, etc...)

Around town, this thing handles fairly well. No real major gripes. It does seem that when I hit small bumps in the road, I rock back left to right, kind of a very slight sway motion. Nothing major, but feels weird. Don't know if it is because the RC's ride ROUGH, and it's really normal or what.

I did the RC lift, AAL/Bastard pack hybrid rear, coil(3.5" and puck spacer) front. New RC trackbar with drop bracket, control arm drop brackets (could afford LA at the time), X-flex upper and lower control arms, RC sway bar disco's, RC shocks, New Moog drag link, tie rod ends, RC dropped pitman arm, billet shims for the rear axle(pinion angle).

On the highway, my handling seems to really be affected by the wind. It's just that the wind moves the jeep around like it's a Geo Metro or something. Also, I have to really consciously counter steer to keep her straight. Maybe it's too sensitive.

I have had three different alignments, three different shops. My castor is at 6 degree's positive. Toe in around 3/16 or 1/8 I believe.

I am just getting so frustrated with this thing. It's all black, black Grizzly wheels, a 99', paid for, and looks SO MEAN. I just hate to drive it on road trips, because the highway manners suck. I regret lifting it, ONLY for that reason.

Observations:

-When I did the pitman arm, and took the old one off, I could get a very slight amount of play in the steering gear itself. It was there where you could twist it and feel it, but not so much as that you could see it move.

-The rear axles have a slight play (push and pull into the gears), but not in the 12-6 or 9-3, so I think the rear bearings are fine. Same for the front. Is that normal? The track bar is tight and torqued. I really want to fix this and not give up and buy something else. I love everything else about it.

Ideas????? I'm desperate. I can upload pictures and video's if it helps you trouble shoot, helping me. Thank you.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

All lifted vehicles tend to sway a little bit in the wind due to sitting higher and an XJ is basically a box with wheels so it's not exactly aerodynamic. I'm guessing the AAL/bastard pack has something to do with the stiffness. Take a pic of you shackle as well. The angle will affect ride quality.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:01 PM

Year: 00
Engine: 4.0L

I am new to the jeeps too, haven't lifted my yet but some things u can look at is if the axles r centerd and is the sway bar still hooked up??? Hope that helps
Old 02-13-2012, 10:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door

hell, what you described is how my stock xj rides every day
sounds like the lift just amplifies the stock ride quality
Old 02-13-2012, 10:45 PM

Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7

When you say there is play in the gears, do you mean rotational? If so, that is normal. IMHO, my old RC's did ride stiff as well. I also agree with XJMarc, the bastard pack is not doing your ride quality any favors, and your shackle angle may very well be off, so post up a picture. And a lifted box will catch the wind like a sail boat, so pucker up and hold on.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:44 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Vincenza V
I have been trying to "tweak" my newly lifted XJ. He are the facts:

1. This is my first 4x4, lifted vehicle, and Jeep

2. I am mechanically inclined (did the lift by my self, with a jack, jackstands, airtools, and beer, and 3-4 days. I've done my timing belt service on my old Lexus V8, intank fuel pumps, complete control arms bushing swaps (PITA) on the Lexus. I'm no pro, but learn quick.

3. I have NOTHING to reference my XJ's ride to, other than other full size trucks I've driven (My old Lightning, Duramax Diesel's, etc...)

Around town, this thing handles fairly well. No real major gripes. It does seem that when I hit small bumps in the road, I rock back left to right, kind of a very slight sway motion. Nothing major, but feels weird. Don't know if it is because the RC's ride ROUGH, and it's really normal or what.

I did the RC lift, AAL/Bastard pack hybrid rear, coil(3.5" and puck spacer) front. New RC trackbar with drop bracket, control arm drop brackets (could afford LA at the time), X-flex upper and lower control arms, RC sway bar disco's, RC shocks, New Moog drag link, tie rod ends, RC dropped pitman arm, billet shims for the rear axle(pinion angle).

On the highway, my handling seems to really be affected by the wind. It's just that the wind moves the jeep around like it's a Geo Metro or something. Also, I have to really consciously counter steer to keep her straight. Maybe it's too sensitive.

I have had three different alignments, three different shops. My castor is at 6 degree's positive. Toe in around 3/16 or 1/8 I believe.

I am just getting so frustrated with this thing. It's all black, black Grizzly wheels, a 99', paid for, and looks SO MEAN. I just hate to drive it on road trips, because the highway manners suck. I regret lifting it, ONLY for that reason.

Observations:

-When I did the pitman arm, and took the old one off, I could get a very slight amount of play in the steering gear itself. It was there where you could twist it and feel it, but not so much as that you could see it move.

-The rear axles have a slight play (push and pull into the gears), but not in the 12-6 or 9-3, so I think the rear bearings are fine. Same for the front. Is that normal? The track bar is tight and torqued. I really want to fix this and not give up and buy something else. I love everything else about it.

Ideas????? I'm desperate. I can upload pictures and video's if it helps you trouble shoot, helping me. Thank you.
well there is your problem, pucks make you ride like ****, And a AAL/bastard pack combo is OK at best, dont expect OME quality ride with this ON TOP of a RC lift. old man emu.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:17 PM

"And a lifted box will catch the wind like a sail boat, so pucker up and hold on."Lol-that is funny as crap.....

"well there is your problem, pucks make you ride like ****, And a AAL/bastard pack combo is OK at best, dont expect OME quality ride with this ON TOP of a RC lift. old man emu."

That is a good point, I really am learing here, so I don't know what is "typical" for this. The only problem is OME advertises a 1.5" lift. So If they do a higher lift, it would haver been great to see it in a quadratec magazine or something.

I have too much (cash AND labor) in this now to redo it. I also have a HNT slip yoke eliminator I did myself too. So with the transfer case output shaft cut at my height, I could maybe go up/down 1" without having to replace it with a real SYE.

I'll post the pictures tonight.

Are there any lifted Jeeps (5"+) that ride great? Or is that a pipe dream. I now know why they call it "Rough" Country....
well there is your problem, pucks make you ride like ****, And a AAL/bastard pack combo is OK at best, dont expect OME quality ride with this ON TOP of a RC lift. old man emu. Yesterday 11:45 PM
well there is your problem, pucks make you ride like ****, And a AAL/bastard pack combo is OK at best, dont expect OME quality ride with this ON TOP of a RC lift. old man emu. Yesterday 11:45 PM
Old 02-14-2012, 12:25 PM

"When you say there is play in the gears, do you mean rotational? If so, that is normal"-yes. It wasn't in the up/down motion. Steering box is tight too.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:46 PM

that'a an nice stuff it would help me a lot thanks for the post.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.7 Stroker I6

I dont know about rocking back and fourth but on mine when going slower small bumps can feel like huge potholes sometimes, railroad tracks are bone jarring, I have to crawl over speed bumps. At speeds yes wind affects it greatly but rough road doesnt affect control much its just that, rough.

My rear leaf pack is DEFINITELY too stiff and has bad shackle angles though.

Mby check sway bar bushings, front wheel bearing play?

I think mostly you were used to a lexus and then driving a lifted jeep is quite a shock. I know I thought mine drove like crap when I first got it after bmws but its grown on me and for me got better handling after the lift.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Could be bump steer. A lift will make your track bar go from being horizontal, to angled, which reduces its effectiveness. You may want to try a track bar kit that returns the track bar to its proper position.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:29 PM

Thanks for the ideas! I do have a new rc Track bar with drop
Bracket, and added a rc drop pitman arm to help. The angle of the dangle
Is really close now. I think only welding an axle mount tab higher, could get it better. My track bar and drop brack is for 4-6"lifts. I'm at 5.5" and also have the pitman drop. I think it's good, but I'll send a pic of that too. I got fragged making dinner for valentines day for the wife. Scam, lol. I should have the pictures tomorrow
Old 02-14-2012, 06:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6

My 99 rides the same. Never rly figured out why but my new TB helped alot with the rocking on bumps. Didnt fix it but it helped. And a tight sway bar might help. But a xj will never ride like a chevy not even stock...
Old 02-14-2012, 06:54 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 L I6

I had a similar problem as you. I had recently put new everything on the front of my jeep-steering, RC upper control arms, track bar, drop brackets, etc. I kept feeling like I was kind of driving a boat at high speeds that would want to drift in different directions randomly and when going over bumps. I bet you have the same issue I had. My problem was that the UCA joints were bad and they were only 2 months old. I replaced the axle side bushing and retightened the xjoints and it drove great...for about another month. I ended up rebuilding my uca's 4 times across a 7 month period and said screw it and went out and bought a Clayton 3 link system with huge very high quality Johnny joints on all ends. Jeep drives amazing now at 6"+ of lift and 35's going 80mph.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 HO

Sounds like a xj to me! There pretty much a kite on wheels. I was on a road trip not too long ago and it was really windy a few of the days. It was not fun driving 6-8 hours when the wind was blowing who knows how effing hard! As for the harshness, correct shackle angle and some nice bilstein shocks would greatly improve your ride. There jeeps, we love them, and thats why we look past the s***ty ride and horrible gas mileage!

Quick Reply: Am I asking for too much? Is this normal Handleing???