Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Alignment

I am clueless when it comes to this. I did an axle swap and afterwards took my xj into get aligned. They are saying the camber is off by 1° leaning towards the vehicle, and It's $180 just for the offset ball joint. Can someone help me understand how much this is going to affect tire wear and driving? The tires guys won't give me a straight answer, of course
Old 07-24-2017, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Dear Clueless:

this info applies to most jeeps:

If you are out 1 degree inside, means that you are 1 degree positve. Most trucks
have negative camber 1 degree so the truck goes straight and tight and not get uneven tire
ware. You can do the alignment yourself with some basic tools and proper specs
on the camber for that year of truck. Size of tires mater as well. If your tires are not
stock you have to compensate camber to height of the tire. So does the tire pull?
Is it sensitve to high speed? Hope this helps
Old 07-25-2017, 06:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 226 Likes on 176 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

Originally Posted by lukewalker
You can do the alignment yourself with some basic tools and proper specs on the camber for that year of truck. Size of tires mater as well. If your tires are not stock you have to compensate camber to height of the tire.
Uh what are you talking about? Camber is not adjustable on these rigs. The only way your camber could be out is if something is bent, such as the axle housing or inner C, or if the ball joints are really bad.

OP, what kind of condition is this new axle in? How are the ball joints? Where did you take it to get inspected? I do not think buying offset ball joints is a good way to go about fixing that.

Do you notice any strange handling characteristics? Its only out one degree. I think the only negative will be slight uneven tire wear.