Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

aftermarket steering wheel 97+

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 05:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default aftermarket steering wheel 97+

I am finding it very difficult to find any detailed info on this. I want to swap my steering wheel for one of those aftermarket Grant ones. I dont care too much for the looks, I just want the cheaper one, probably like they sell at Autozone and such. So I am looking for a step by step writeup on how its done. No luck. There is no kit for the newer XJs. On the Grant steering wheel it shows that it will fit only older Cherokees. Is it because the newer ones have airbags and they dont want you to remove it ? or will it simply not work. Also I dont care about the self cancelling signals, cruise etc. I dont need that. I just want to know if it will mount and work and how to remove the old one without getting my face blown off. Thanks.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

call these guy...http://www.andysautosport.com/jeep/1...teering_wheel/
Old 03-16-2012, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

first you need to pull the fuses for the air bags, two of them in the passenger fuse panel... look at chart on cover, they are 10A mini THEN WAIT 10min for the back-up capacitors to discharge...

do above before digging into anything

i think the reason for not much aftermarket will be because of the cruise buttons and ribbon wire/clock spring, if you want to delete those you can, or make up a new panel for them on the dash (+hint+ two blank spots on dash by wiper arm, should be enough wire in the column to reach with re-route)
other than that you'll find it fairly easy to take apart, once airbag is out of way there is a big nut and the wheel will be keyed to column end in some way. (new wheel should come with adapter items)