Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 04:58 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Aftermarket Speakers

I'm looking to replace my 4 door speakers this weekend. I have a pioneer head unit. I do not plan on getting a sub any time soon so I am looking for all around speakers that have decent lows and mids. I know with a sub it will give me a ton more bass but I just don't need one. I'm looking for what you guys have and how they sound. And I'm kinda cheap so I'm not going too expensive. I'll probably get them from best buy.

Thanks in advance for the advice
Old 10-10-2012, 05:35 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

I know you said best buy....but for cheap speakers check Walmart. I bought a set for my car. Scosche brand I think. Spelling may be off. But I bought 6.5s and they actually sound very good. I was surprised. Big time. I expected half way decent. But to my suprise the are great. Decent bass for a 6.5 inch speaker. Mids and highs are very good. Just food for thought. Also my Walmart just starting selling kicker speakers as well. More expensive but would be better I would think.

Edit- I have a pair of 5.5 inch speakers they make in the sound bar of the jeep. Way better then stock. But the 6.5s have much better bass. Should have went with them...but the 6.5s I'm my car are great.

Last edited by kyledye25; 10-10-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:39 PM

Year: 2001

What price range are you looking at? I have Kicker KS65's in my Jeep, they sound pretty good for the price.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:09 PM
Seasoned Member

I said best buy because I was gonna go a little better quality. And ya I noticed the kickers at walmart. Im looking to spend no more than around $150 for all four. Then down the road I will get 2 tweeters to replace the stock ones.

That's another thing, what size should I get for the front door speakers and the rear hatch speakers?
Old 10-10-2012, 06:21 PM

Year: 1998

Originally Posted by Tamadrummer
what size should I get for the front door speakers and the rear hatch speakers?
id suggest 6.5"
Old 10-10-2012, 06:41 PM

Year: 2001

yeah, technically 5.25" are the stock size but 6.5" fit with little adjustment.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1992
Engine: 6 Cyl

Look on amazon.com for polk audio 6.5 speakers. When I started looking for a new system I went to Best Buy and heard them and was impressed. Think they were around $100 a pair. Found the same speakers on amazon for 45 a pair with free shipping and it was tax free! REally good speakers especially for the money
Old 10-10-2012, 09:09 PM
Seasoned Member

I went to best buy and found that I basically have to go with 6 1/2 because there's more options.
Now my next decision, is to go 2way or 3way. I can't figure out which one would be better. Even with a straight up comparison in best buy. And I'm not running a sub
Old 10-10-2012, 11:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000

i have polk db651 in my front doors and sound bar and im happy with them for the price. there a 2 way speaker. i need to get a amp to them and i think i will be more happy with them
Old 10-11-2012, 12:34 AM

I know you're not looking for top notch audio quality but I would encourage you to but a component set for the fronts, not a 2 or 3 way speaker for the door and then a separate tweeter for the stock location. You'll be happier in the end with a matched set and it's not much more expensive. I got the Alpine Type S speakers for my Jeep (also running a Pioneer head unit) and they sound pretty good and are relatively cheap. I used to do car audio and have always like the Kicker stuff (mid range is fine, no need to go nuts in a Jeep unless you really want to) and MTX sounded awesome in my TJ. I also run Diamond Audio D3 series speakers in my GTI and those have a great sound; if you hunt for the right deal you can grab them up for around $100 a pair (I know that's a touch out of your price range, just mentioning them).

2 way vs 3 way is mostly preference but I prefer a 2 way speaker. This is basically how many different sound drivers you have; a 3 way speaker has 2 "tweeters" for the highs and the woofer cone for the mids/lows with the appropriate sound frequencies being sent to each driver (usually separated by capacitors). I find that a 2 way speaker provides a less harsh tone that is a little "warmer". The tweeter style all makes a big difference there too but I'll keep this one short :-P

One final note, if your Jeep has the Infinity sound system (which I'm guessing it does if it has the factory tweeter grill) you'll want to do a bypass on the amp if you haven't already. If you don't you're amplifying an amplified signal since your head unit is already putting out enough power to drive the speakers. If you don't bypass it you run the risk of burning it out, blowing speakers, and you'll get some added distortion in the sound.

Hopefully that was helpful rather than just rambling.

Last edited by Trumpster; 10-11-2012 at 12:36 AM. Reason: edited to add paragraph spacing back in
Old 10-11-2012, 02:02 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Trumpster
I know you're not looking for top notch audio quality but I would encourage you to but a component set for the fronts, not a 2 or 3 way speaker for the door and then a separate tweeter for the stock location. You'll be happier in the end with a matched set and it's not much more expensive. I got the Alpine Type S speakers for my Jeep (also running a Pioneer head unit) and they sound pretty good and are relatively cheap. I used to do car audio and have always like the Kicker stuff (mid range is fine, no need to go nuts in a Jeep unless you really want to) and MTX sounded awesome in my TJ. I also run Diamond Audio D3 series speakers in my GTI and those have a great sound; if you hunt for the right deal you can grab them up for around $100 a pair (I know that's a touch out of your price range, just mentioning them).

2 way vs 3 way is mostly preference but I prefer a 2 way speaker. This is basically how many different sound drivers you have; a 3 way speaker has 2 "tweeters" for the highs and the woofer cone for the mids/lows with the appropriate sound frequencies being sent to each driver (usually separated by capacitors). I find that a 2 way speaker provides a less harsh tone that is a little "warmer". The tweeter style all makes a big difference there too but I'll keep this one short :-P

One final note, if your Jeep has the Infinity sound system (which I'm guessing it does if it has the factory tweeter grill) you'll want to do a bypass on the amp if you haven't already. If you don't you're amplifying an amplified signal since your head unit is already putting out enough power to drive the speakers. If you don't bypass it you run the risk of burning it out, blowing speakers, and you'll get some added distortion in the sound.

Hopefully that was helpful rather than just rambling.
Very helpful, since I am very new to the car audio stuff. You kind of lost me in the 3 way vs 2 way. But since I am not running an amp for now, do I need to worry about bypassing the stock tweeters? Or can I just take them out?
Thanks for the help
Old 10-11-2012, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Tamadrummer
Very helpful, since I am very new to the car audio stuff. You kind of lost me in the 3 way vs 2 way. But since I am not running an amp for now, do I need to worry about bypassing the stock tweeters? Or can I just take them out?
Thanks for the help
You can just take out the stock tweeters but you'll end up with some funny stuff going on for sound separation. The only XJ's that I know of that had tweeters stock were the ones with the Infinity sound system which had an amp under the driver side of the rear seat that will separate the frequencies out so you will be missing some sound on the fronts unless you bypass that amp. You should be bypassing that amp anyways though if you have an aftermarket deck.

Like I said before, I'd HIGHLY recommend getting a matched set of components for the front rather than a 2 way in the door and then a tweeter later. A set of component speakers will be matched properly and are essentially just a "separated" 2 way speaker setup.

Components (same ones I have in my XJ): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alpine-SPS-6...-/280964925072

2 Way Speaker: http://www.naxa.com/car-speakers/6-5-2-way-speaker.html

3 Way Speaker: http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchf...ssary-3way.jpg

Feel free to hit me with any further questions and I'll do my best to answer them for you.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:43 PM
Seasoned Member

If I buy kenwood 3 way speakers for the doors and the hatch speakers. I can just take out the stock tweeters. I know I have them but I'm also pretty sure I don't have an amp under the seat. These are the speakers I'm looking at http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Kenwood+...&skuId=4863592

I'm planning on just running these with no other tweeters because I wouldn't need them.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:03 PM
Seasoned Member

I went ahead and put in those 3way kenwoods. $135 for all 4, I'm pretty excited to put them in tomorrow!
Old 10-14-2012, 09:47 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L I6

Hey, just wondering if you've installed those kenwoods yet. If you have, how do you like them?

I have XJ '98 Sport that I put a new stereo unit in, but there weren't any speakers in the roof of the trunk when I bought the jeep, and the front two in the driver and passenger doors are pretty much blown out. I don't have any stock tweeters, I don't have an amp, and I'm not planning on buying a sub. I'm looking to put in a pair up front and add a pair to the trunk where there are none right now. Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Speakers