Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket (or replacement) seat suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 11:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Aftermarket (or replacement) seat suggestions

I've been looking alot at aftermarket seats as my jeep's seats are shot. The driver's side finally broke and creaks when I turn sharply. It bothers me. The passenger is in good shape, but I think I'll replace the two. I moved about 8 hours from home, so comfort is key. I was sold on aftermarket seats, the rugged ridge XHD had me convinced ... then I read reviews and they get horrible marks.

I had talked myself out of a seat swap. However, after looking at the limited choice of adjustable, and affordable, aftermarkets - I could be convinced.

I miss the heater leather I had in my volvo, but want something that's bolt in. I don't want to fab brackets and don't have access to a welder.

I'll be buying these in the next month or so, and if anyone can offer suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

I've done my research and really want some opinions - Especially, if you have aftermarket seats. I've researched them tirelessly and come up empty. I'll start doing my homework on direct swaps and maybe I'll make some progress.

As always -- Thanks, in advance.

Originally Posted by jeepxj19
Any 93-98 zj seats and any 99-04 wj seats will fit in a 97+ xj, u just need to unbolt that wj/zj seat bracket and bolt ur xj's bracket up to the new seats, thats for the front, the back seats take a little more work but is 100% do'able
Old 11-29-2012, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

I have a Corbeau Baja seat in mine and love it. It is the most comfortable seat I have ever been in in a Jeep. Only thing better is the seats in my BMW M3.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:00 AM
Seasoned Member

Any pics? They aren't reclinable IIRC, that doesn't bug you?
Old 11-30-2012, 12:42 AM
CF Veteran

The 97+ cherokee limiteds came with heated leather seats
Old 11-30-2012, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by 01xjMontucky
Any pics? They aren't reclinable IIRC, that doesn't bug you?
The Baja's are reclinable that's why I went that route. I will try to get a pic. Currently I only have 1 on the driver side. I got a smokin good deal on it. Just remember you will need either the sliders or the adapter from Corbeau which is another $100 a piece on top of the seat cost. The difference being that the full slider kit keeps you sitting at stock height where as the adapter sit you up about 2 inches higher. I went the adapter route so I could be a little higher for wheeling. I also gained some leg room. I am 5'10" and still have plenty of head room.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Power73
You are correct. Good luck finding a set of those in decent shape.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Ok. No xjs in yards near my house. Found a bunch of 99 wj's. They require use of my bracket. Is it the bracket that breaks in xj seats? If so I'll need a new one as I don't have a welder
Old 12-04-2012, 09:59 PM
Seasoned Member

SO...

I am tempted to pull the trigger and drive the hour to grab a set of WJ seats. I need to cycle tranny fluid, anyhow, so the drive will give me the chance to drain my tranny a couple of times.
I will be doing probably 5+ hours homework on this over the next day or so and making the move Thursday, if I can get it sorted.

I'd love input from somebody who has done the swap.

I'm going manual to electric. I will be using my XJ manual slide. That, I understand.

1) I see that I need to keep memory intact if I want to use the power recline function. Does that sound correct?

2) The brackets are a direct, bolt-in, swap. My XJ driver's seat has creaky gangster lean, does that mean I'll need a new XJ bracket?

3) If I can't use the power recline, or adjustment, can I swap in my manual XJ lever?

4) I can't walk through this junk yard, so I must know exactly what I want (and don't want) when I call the guy back. Advice?

Welding is not an option. Yes, I'll do my homework, but I value anyone who has done the swaps opinion.

Please and thanks. After new tires I'm looking for one more quick upgrade as my seat recently broke.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:08 PM
Seasoned Member

not trying to spam my own thread, but a response would be sick. if I accomplish this, I'll be sure to close the thread up with my experience and the end result

I found black leather seats out of an 00 limited for $125. The driver's side needs some repair to the leather, but I'm ok with that. They don't have memory but do have power.

The power assembly is all in the seat base, if I've read correctly.

Is it easily attainable to swap motors and what-not over? I am really struggling to find a Electric power seat swap to manual thread. Been at this for hours. I want to get this done, but can't afford to pull out my seat and not have another going back in. It makes sense that powering the new seat shouldn't be much of an issue. Run a fused power to power and ground it out. My concern is that the seats already need some repair and to be worth it, I want power seats.

Please?

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f59/wj...-bases-146000/
bolt wj seat base to floor

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/wj-seats-xj-126599/
wiring wj seat swap

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/gr...-95-xjs-69296/
end result and 60/40 install details

Originally Posted by 9XJSPORT7
The only way to get the power seats is to find xj power seat bases as the wj seat will bolt right to them...then you can wire the wj seats to them to get the full power...the wj seat brackets are completly different and require alot of fab work to even get them to maybe fit...as for the heated seat part in the wj seats you cant wire them up without issues....in a wj they are controled thru the body control unit and putting 12v to the heater elemts will cause them to get way to hot and they might even burn the seats or worse....I looked into this alot as I wanted to do this swap but then I got really lucky and found a set of power and heated seats from an xj and just swaped them in....If you really want to get the heat in the wj seats I would say find a good upholstery shop and have them install universal heater elemnts into the seat and have them wire up the switches....

Last edited by 01xjMontucky; 12-05-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:30 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993

There should only be 2 wires going to the seat. You'll just need to run switched power to it.

If your Jeep is 97+ then they'll bolt right up...
Old 12-05-2012, 02:58 PM
Seasoned Member

I just pulled the trigger. Going to pick them up. I'll pull out my passenger seat and do it first. I'll pick up a 12v battery, as well. That way I can test the power functions out and try to wrap my mind around this conundrum. Will post pics and updates for those as unknowledgeable as myself.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I have not seen any of these Horrible Reviews you mentioned. Links please?

Keep in mind that you're calibrated butt is completely different than someone else's calibrated butt. Comfort is a very subjective thing. You may prefer a super firm seat, your neighbor down the street may want something extremely soft and plush.

Seats will soften over time with usage too.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:13 PM
Seasoned Member

I just read on long road trips they are no bueno. Would never insult you or the products you offer. You're an asset to the board, afterall....

Here's what I grabbed. Doing passenger side first

After tax for two. Drivers seat needs some love, but oh well

Aftermarket (or replacement) seat suggestions-forumrunner_20121205_161258.jpg
Old 12-05-2012, 05:34 PM

Engine: 4.0 Inline 6

Originally Posted by Power73
were the 97+ XJ sports prewired for the electric heated seats? I may have come across some, but I will need them to be able to adjust.

If they arent wired, is it easy to run power from somewhere else?
Old 12-05-2012, 05:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 01xjMontucky
I just read on long road trips they are no bueno. Would never insult you or the products you offer. You're an asset to the board, afterall....
Sorry if I sounded all butt-hurt (LoLz)...I wasn't bothered by your comments in the least.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket (or replacement) seat suggestions