Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjust backlash or no?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 10:35 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Adjust backlash or no?

I am getting ready to begin work on my front axle and just want to double check a few things before I do. This is not my DD, so my time table is not rushed, but I also don't want to drag a$$ either.

From everything that I have read, I should not have to adjust backlash after removing the carrier and ring gear to install a Spartan Locker as long as I ensure that everything is marked and re-installed as originally from the factory.

Is this correct?
Old 03-11-2014, 12:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by HYRYSC
I am getting ready to begin work on my front axle and just want to double check a few things before I do. This is not my DD, so my time table is not rushed, but I also don't want to drag a$$ either.

From everything that I have read, I should not have to adjust backlash after removing the carrier and ring gear to install a Spartan Locker as long as I ensure that everything is marked and re-installed as originally from the factory.

Is this correct?
The Sparten locker is the same design as the Aussie locker and you don't have to remove the carrier and ring gear. All you are doing is replacing the spider gears by only removing the carrier pin not the whole carrier. When you purchase the locker it will have all the instructions for the installation.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Model: Cherokee

I am running 4.10's, so I assumed that because of the thickness of the ring gear that I would need to remove the carrier and ring gear because I certainly don't want to do any grinding of the ring gear.

Am I reading too much into this?
Old 03-11-2014, 12:56 PM

Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee

The front carrier has a roll pin holding the X pin in place so yes you will have to remove the carrier. No you should not have to mess with the pinion depth or backlash since the parts you are changing will not affect the lash.

Miles