Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding an Air Compressor?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 02:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Adding an Air Compressor?

I did a little searching but found nothing...
I can get my hands on a small 2-3 gallon I think 1HP air compressor, and I know its 120V, but with a good power invertor would it be able to take the load of the compressor? I couldn't find even an estimate of power consumption for a small portable compressor...

Has anyone does this before?
Or should I just use the tank and hook it into a decent 12V compressor to run right off the battery to a switch?
For those who put tanks into a bumper, what kind of capacity do you get out of it??

Can I get some pictures of custom setups in your cargo area, or those who do tanks into custom bumpers??
Old 10-23-2011, 04:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bmrrwolfe
I did a little searching but found nothing...
I can get my hands on a small 2-3 gallon I think 1HP air compressor, and I know its 120V, but with a good power invertor would it be able to take the load of the compressor? I couldn't find even an estimate of power consumption for a small portable compressor...

Has anyone does this before?
Or should I just use the tank and hook it into a decent 12V compressor to run right off the battery to a switch?
For those who put tanks into a bumper, what kind of capacity do you get out of it??

Can I get some pictures of custom setups in your cargo area, or those who do tanks into custom bumpers??
The power inverter is going to cost you some serious money in order to run that compressor. Check out the mv50 if you're just gonna be filling tires with it.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:38 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by mr white
The power inverter is going to cost you some serious money in order to run that compressor. Check out the mv50 if you're just gonna be filling tires with it.
I figured they would run way to much power..
I believe I have seen that at 4WP before, but didn't think they would have the ***** to air up 33s before overheating or just taking forever...
There are a lot of similar 12V compressors like that, and I have one now (but a crappy one I got from my grandparents in a car safety kit and takes about 10 mins to go from 20-30 PSI in a standard 235/75 tire) and I don't know whats worth the money to get, or if they can be hooked up to a 3-5G air tank, which would help holding some pressure and shorting the time needed to fill.

Thanks!
Old 10-23-2011, 04:40 PM
CF Veteran

I figured they would run way to much power..
I believe I have seen that at 4WP before, but didn't think they would have the ***** to air up 33s before overheating or just taking forever...
There are a lot of similar 12V compressors like that, and I have one now (but a crappy one I got from my grandparents in a car safety kit and takes about 10 mins to go from 20-30 PSI in a standard 235/75 tire) and I don't know whats worth the money to get, or if they can be hooked up to a 3-5G air tank, which would help holding some pressure and shorting the time needed to fill.

Thanks!
I was actually doing the same research last week. I decided on this one. People have done reviews on the forums on it and it will fill 33in tires in like 2.5min. Just search mv50 on jeepforum or here (use google it works better)
Old 10-23-2011, 04:43 PM

Get a 12v comp and hook it to a tank.
I was thinking of buying a small $100 comp from hodepot link and replacing the 110V comp with my 12v comp. I has all the pressure switches/regulators/etc to make a complete setup. You'll spend that much buying all that stuff.

I have a slime comp($50) and a used viair comp($25 UNBELEIVABLE DEAL)
Both rated well in JP Mag last month.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:45 PM
CF Veteran

I found 1 bad review for it from some moran:
http://www.yotatech.com/f105/q-indus...-sucks-180757/

LOL at the rest of the posts in the thread.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by mr white
I found 1 bad review for it from some moran:
http://www.yotatech.com/f105/q-indus...-sucks-180757/

LOL at the rest of the posts in the thread.
People can be stupid and helpless!!

It's easy to fix those coil hoses. Three freinds and myself have the slime comps. They work great. I put aligator clips on mine when the cig plug melted. But I did run it past it's duty cycle! My fault.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:27 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

How about OBA from your A/C compressor so you dont have to worry about an inverted?
Old 10-24-2011, 08:40 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by TheJerm
How about OBA from your A/C compressor so you dont have to worry about an inverted?
The only bad thing about that is, my cherokee is black so it bakes in the summer, and surprisingly enough it works! So I don't want to lose that luxury. I would be interested in a dual compressor setup, but I don't think that would work very well or easily on a 4.0..
Old 10-25-2011, 08:05 AM
CF Veteran

The only bad thing about that is, my cherokee is black so it bakes in the summer, and surprisingly enough it works! So I don't want to lose that luxury. I would be interested in a dual compressor setup, but I don't think that would work very well or easily on a 4.0..
Yea I know, mine is black too and A/C doesnt work. I did see a duel compressor set-up somewhere...
Old 10-25-2011, 09:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1999 XJ
Engine: I6 4.0L

That's the route I'm trying to go, with dual compressors. Unless both are running it shouldn't be too heavy a load on the engine, and even then it could probably handle it. I wish I could find who had mounted them paralell, I saw that pic too. Trying to figure out how to fab the bracket to hold them.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:04 AM
CF Veteran

The thing I really dig about OBA with A/C compressor is that you can run power tools off it and not have to wait for a crappy electric compressor to recharge the system. Just hold the engine at 2K rpms and your impact will remove just about anything until you run out of gas
Old 10-25-2011, 10:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1999 XJ
Engine: I6 4.0L

Yeah what PSI do those Sanden compressors put out? Trying to decide a tank size too... The reluctance I've always had to using a 120v compressor with an inverter is the load on the electrical system. I would think those pull a decent amount of power, and running it through an inverter seems like another ineffecient loss of power. Do you know the amperage draw on the compressor you plan to use?

Last edited by alpine.adrenaline; 10-25-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see no reason to run a compressor. Just get you a C02 tank filled at the welding supply places and run a regulator. You can air up and down a lot of times with even a small tank. Plus you can run air tools without waiting on the compressor and no electrical load. I always borrow my buddy's and it works great. I'll be mounting one in my truck soon.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:22 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996

with CO2 just make sure to check your tire pressure more often, CO2 will leak out over time

Quick Reply: Adding an Air Compressor?