Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99+ intake upgrade: new CCV, MAP, IAT locations?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 07:19 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default 99+ intake upgrade: new CCV, MAP, IAT locations?

Before I get ridiculed for this, yes I've spent at lease an hour or so searching this forum for my answers, but I still haven't figured it out.

Just did the 99+ intake swap on my 96 and I'm really confused on how to reconnect all those vacuum lines and the iat sensor, nothing seems to be in the same place for reinstallation. First of all, can I just use regular copper wire (like heavy gauge speaker wire) to extend the connector for the iat sensor?

Also, I'm not sure where all the vacuum lines get hooked up. On the new intake manifold there are three hose nozzles on the side (two smaller ones, and a bigger one between them, one of the smaller ones is capped), and on top by the throttle body there are two more (one bigger one, and a smaller one). Which vacuum lines get hooked up where? I'm assuming I'll need to extend them. Anyone done this upgrade? Pictures would be awesome.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1994 1993
Engine: 4.0

If you can wait until tomorrow I'll take some pics as I have done this mod. Vacuum lines can pretty much go anywhere as they are all getting their source from the intake so it doesn't matter where. You will need to get some longer tubing for some of them to reach. I didn't need to extend any wires though. I believe one of the larger vacuum connections on the top is in a threaded hole and I just swaped that with the sensor which is also in the same sized threaded hole.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:20 AM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

You'll definitely want to use wire that is oil/grease/gas resistant. Generic speaker wire is not. The stuff I have degrades at the first smell of petroleum lol. My local Princess Auto (sorta Canadian version of Harbor Freight) has spools of appropriate wire for pretty cheap.

This might help:

Looking to the right of the TB in that pic, the small hose is the CCV from the valve cover, the large hose is brake booster.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0, bolt ons for days...

pretty much everything just "bolts in." i put my IAT as close to the throttle body as possible when I did it to my 93. i never extended any wires or vacuum lines.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Thanks for the info, you guys are all super helpful. Here's what I ended up doing: switched the IAT with hose nozzle next to the throttle body, so I didn't have to extend the IAT cable, then extended the ccv (from valve cover) to the far top nozzle, plugged the power booster into the other top nozzle by the IAT, and plugged what I assume are two MAP hoses to two of the nozzles on the side (had to extend one of the lines). Check out the set up and tell me if anything looks bad or if it looks like I can try to fire it up
Attached Thumbnails 99+ intake upgrade: new CCV, MAP, IAT locations?-image-1962271595.jpg  
Old 07-05-2013, 04:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1994 1993

Originally Posted by Dan4governor
Thanks for the info, you guys are all super helpful. Here's what I ended up doing: switched the IAT with hose nozzle next to the throttle body, so I didn't have to extend the IAT cable, then extended the ccv (from valve cover) to the far top nozzle, plugged the power booster into the other top nozzle by the IAT, and plugged what I assume are two MAP hoses to two of the nozzles on the side (had to extend one of the lines). Check out the set up and tell me if anything looks bad or if it looks like I can try to fire it up

That all looks good to me fire it up and report back
Old 07-05-2013, 05:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 ho 99 intake ps pump 1" tb spacer 62mm bored tb eletric fans and more

looks like it should work but is kinda cluttered
Old 07-05-2013, 06:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by stang65
looks like it should work but is kinda cluttered
Cluttered? This is what it was before:
if anything I'd say it looks less cluttered. Post a pic of yours so I can compare. I want to make sure I get this right. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails 99+ intake upgrade: new CCV, MAP, IAT locations?-image-608546226.jpg  
Old 07-05-2013, 06:47 PM

Cluttered? This is what it was before:
if anything I'd say it looks less cluttered. Post a pic of yours so I can compare. I want to make sure I get this right. Thanks
Looks pretty good to me.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:09 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 ho 99 intake ps pump 1" tb spacer 62mm bored tb eletric fans and more

my mistake its better than before lol. mines a different year jeep 93 so mines done differently. brake booster is in the center hole on the side. they vaccum is on the front hole on the side maf is on the rear hole side. the valve cover breather is the top rear. the fuel presure regulater is on the front top. I have a dead air sensor pluging the hole yours in and the air sensor in the intake tube.

I might recomend you tie your fuel line up though dont want that floating around.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:19 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by stang65

I might recomend you tie your fuel line up though dont want that floating around.
The fuel line is tied to a bracket on the side of the intake, just below it.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Fired her up today and everything works great! thanks so much for the help. Butt dyno says more power from the intake and fuel injector upgrade (bosch ev6 injectors). people say the butt dyno doesn't matter, but I say it matters the most!
Old 07-21-2013, 07:53 PM

Year: 1998 and 1988
Engine: 4.7

Fired her up today and everything works great! thanks so much for the help. Butt dyno says more power from the intake and fuel injector upgrade (bosch ev6 injectors). people say the butt dyno doesn't matter, but I say it matters the most!
When I put mine onto a 88 block, 94 head, running with a 98 computer (in a 98 body) (and few other mods)
I didn't notice much on the butt dyno but when I hooked up the trailer and went up a hill I thought someone was pushing me. Barely had to give any more gas to keep the speed up. I turned it into a torque monster.
It will idle trough obstacles that previously required me to feather the clutch and give quite a bit of gas just to keep it from stalling. (and bouncing like crazy) Now, the idle speed barely changes speed and my food is off the gas.

It was sooooo worth it. (only cost me $50)
Old 07-21-2013, 08:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999

I like how blue u made it lol
Old 07-21-2013, 08:20 PM

Year: 1998 and 1988
Engine: 4.7

Originally Posted by XJwonders
I like how blue u made it lol
Dito.. I wish I painted mine when I put it in. And I even had it out last week to weld a 02 bung on the exhaust manifold.
Not sure what color I would pick. my block is gunmetal blue

Quick Reply: 99+ intake upgrade: new CCV, MAP, IAT locations?