Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 XJ Lift Advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 96 XJ Lift Advice

I have a stock 1996 Cherokee Sport (white) and I was hit by a *lets just say not so smart* teenager in my high school parking lot. And yes, I am a high schooler as well, but I like to say I'm a much better driver than most teenagers. Anyway, it looks like it is turning out for the better, because the insurance company is giving us a set amount for the car to be totaled, but we are getting it fixed at a small, friend owned repair shop for pretty cheap. So I should come out with about $1500 to spend on my XJ.

I am looking for a 3" lift + 31" tires and wheels.

I have been looking at the following 3" kits and was wondering if anyone has any advice for one brand over the other:
http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-sus...t-kit-630.html
http://www.quadratec.com/products/76017_8110_07.htm
http://zoneoffroad.com/zone-offroad-...erokee/j21-j22
http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-su...-pack-kit.html
I have heard Rough Country is a pretty "rough" ride, so I'm leaning toward one of the other ones, and it probably won't even make a difference, I just want to hear if anyone has a preference or one to stay away from.

I have also heard that to ensure a stable ride, a transfer case lowering kit and an adj track bar are pretty much required, and front brake lines and front extended sway bar links are sometimes needed, sometimes not, just depending on the Jeep. But I have also read that it kinda depends on a Jeep to Jeep basis, so I'll probably just end up putting in the 3" lift, then test driving, and going from there.

For the adj track bars, I was looking at these three and I'm just wondering if anyone has an opinion on whether the iron rock one is worth the extra money (because I have heard it is much better than other adj track bars):
http://www.roughcountry.com/adjustab...-bar-7572.html
http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-su...-tj-xj-zj.html
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/10216.html

For wheels and tires, I found these two and really love them, but especially the second one is too expensive. These are just an idea of what I want - 31" mudding/AT tires with black wheels - and if anyone has any cheaper options, that still look and perform good, that'd be awesome.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/92609_210X_P4_PG.htm
http://www.quadratec.com/products/92...00_P4_A_PG.htm

Couple of other questions:
I have heard Old Man Emu springs are amazing, so does anyone have an idea on a *Cheap* OME build? (Emphasis on cheap because of budget, and I've seen OME springs are pretty pricey)

Would it be worth getting a lunchbox locker for my front axle for better traction in 4x4?

This one's kinda out there, but I'd really love to do 4.5" if I could, so is there any way I'd be fine just installing a 4.5" lift, without having to do extra things like regearing or extending the brake lines?

I really appreciate any help and frankly anyone who takes the time to read all of this. So I really just need some advice on what my best option is for my budget of $1500. Keep in mind I will need about $700-1000 for wheels and tires.
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails 96 XJ Lift Advice-jeep-cherokee.jpg   96 XJ Lift Advice-jeep-2.jpg   96 XJ Lift Advice-jeep-3.jpg  

Last edited by SpencerXJ; 05-07-2015 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Added Rusty's 3" Kit
Old 05-07-2015, 10:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

If you're looking to spend $1500 total.. Good luck getting a lift and tires.. I spent just under 2k on my 4.5" kit that's been pieced together with mostly RE parts.. Plus another 1200 on rims and tires .. I still want/need to get shackle relocation brackets and adjustable UCA. I would recommend sticking to a 3" lift .. Way cheaper on the long run. Once you get into anything over 3" you start to need an SYE, steering components, and the list goes on..

If it were me, save up for RE as it will last, but for more of a budget go with rustys.. It's all American made and quality product. RC sags and has terrible reviews on the forums.
Old 05-08-2015, 01:01 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L I6

I put the zone offroad 3in lift with fulll springs on my jeep and I like it, cant compare to the other ones as i have never had them.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by JPXJMOAB
If you're looking to spend $1500 total.. Good luck getting a lift and tires.. I spent just under 2k on my 4.5" kit that's been pieced together with mostly RE parts.. Plus another 1200 on rims and tires .. I still want/need to get shackle relocation brackets and adjustable UCA. I would recommend sticking to a 3" lift .. Way cheaper on the long run. Once you get into anything over 3" you start to need an SYE, steering components, and the list goes on..

If it were me, save up for RE as it will last, but for more of a budget go with rustys.. It's all American made and quality product. RC sags and has terrible reviews on the forums.
I've also used a lot of Rusty's stuff over the years and it's done well. There's always somebody that makes better stuff but you have to look at cost. Agreed on staying lower to keep cost down. I would suggest actually keeping your wheels for now and just putting the 31's on them. I ran that way for a while and it worked well. Quadratec is a great resource but pretty high on prices. Look for deals locally on the tires. You can usually get good prices on general grabbers and lesser known brands. I run wrangler dura tracs, but they are spendy. A lot of us have even done the lift ad waited on tires altogether. My advice is focus on getting a good lift, stay stock for now on wheels and go get dirty!
Old 05-08-2015, 12:02 PM

Seems like zone-offroad has pretty good reviews for the budget conscious lift kit. RC / Rustys is ok, but there have been complaints about how long their bushings last. I am running a RC lift kit and I've already started to replace parts from RE. Granted, bushings aren't to expensive to replace, just time consuming to do.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:04 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000

+1 on getting the lift done right and waiting on tires.
Old 05-08-2015, 02:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

I have a set of Kenda Klever M/T's on my ZJ. Pretty damn good tire for a low price! 700 bucks installed for a set of 32's, and I got my wheels from Summit Racing for a couple hundred dollars. If you shop carefully and wisely you can get your rig lifted and have wheels and tires for 1500 green backs.
Old 05-08-2015, 02:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Except for the OME Rustys is the only company that has all American made springs of the ones listed and hold up very well, and has a good ride. My original 3" Rustys full leaf/coil lift is almost 4 yrs. old now (zero sag or problems so far)and last year was upgraded using it as a base for my current 4 1/2" lift using Boomerang Shackles and adj. coil spacers. For the money this is the "Best Buy" IMHO from using them and from other comments on the springs, the most important part of a base lift period.

With Rustys kit all you will need is an adj. track bar and a transfer case drop kit (not my favorite just a Band-Aid) to complete the lift. That was all I did in the first week, but then trimmed the fenders for 33's (I'm sure you will also) and sooner than later. With the 31" tires you really need a 4.10 gear and 33's require a 4.56. The stock 3.55's suck and mpg's decrease with them and a larger tire so wait before you buy any lockers because they are by gear size of 3.73's and up are a different one. So wait till you've saved enough to but gears and lockers front and rear so they can be installed at the same time same cost to do both as one. You can get by for a while with the 3.55's I did not the best idea, but had to wait on the money also.

The stock wheels are too narrow for that size of tire you need a 15x8" with 3.75" of BS and remember you will need 5 of them not 4 if you have a flat all must be the same size its a 4wd. Summit and Jegs have good prices on wheels also you can check them also. Sometimes you can find tires local tire shop for a good price I did and bought 5 of the ones you see for $698.

Rustys has a Sway Bar Disconnect for a reasonable price that fits all lift heights sizes its adj. and nice to disconnect for more flex off road.

Here is a photo of the Rustys stock 3" lift with 33" tires, trimmed fenders and the second is with 4 1/2" lift using the same springs.
Name:  JeepafterTirecarrierbumper003_zps35c3a113.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  91.9 KB

Name:  Jeep3-29-14026_zpsb3d98b62.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  77.1 KB

Last edited by Fred/N0AZZ; 05-08-2015 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-08-2015, 03:02 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000

^^^ Fred, I'm not 100% sure OME leafs are American made or not. I have done a ton of research on OME, but no research on where the leafs are made. The only thing I did find was an old thread (2008?) about the old leafs (not the CS033Ra and RB's), saying that they were produced in China and people had some sagging issues.
Old 05-08-2015, 03:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

http://www.metalcloak.com/XJ-Cheroke...ion-p/7180.htm

I run that kit with 31"s on stock wheels:
https://i.imgur.com/WXu1M8O.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/MRkvlvH.jpg
Old 05-08-2015, 03:44 PM

I went with a 3" kit from rustys. I didn't need drop my transfer case at all. I also put on there quick sway bar disconnect which is sweet but I don't think is required. If I where you I would just paint the wheels you currently have and spend the extra money on either upgrading your lift or tires, it's easy to do and looks good. Here's my rig with rustys 3" lift and 31s with painted stock rims:

96 XJ Lift Advice-image-2977184929.jpg

96 XJ Lift Advice-image-849766926.jpg
Old 05-08-2015, 04:07 PM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ

Will your state register a 'salvaged title' vehicle?
Will your insurance company cover it? Many will not.

With the doors, rocker panel, and B-pillar crushed, the integrity of jeep is compromised. How is the frame-rail and floor pan in the damaged area, does damage extend to the frame-rails?
Old 05-09-2015, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
Except for the OME Rustys is the only company that has all American made springs of the ones listed and hold up very well, and has a good ride. My original 3" Rustys full leaf/coil lift is almost 4 yrs. old now (zero sag or problems so far)and last year was upgraded using it as a base for my current 4 1/2" lift using Boomerang Shackles and adj. coil spacers. For the money this is the "Best Buy" IMHO from using them and from other comments on the springs, the most important part of a base lift period.

With Rustys kit all you will need is an adj. track bar and a transfer case drop kit (not my favorite just a Band-Aid) to complete the lift. That was all I did in the first week, but then trimmed the fenders for 33's (I'm sure you will also) and sooner than later. With the 31" tires you really need a 4.10 gear and 33's require a 4.56. The stock 3.55's suck and mpg's decrease with them and a larger tire so wait before you buy any lockers because they are by gear size of 3.73's and up are a different one. So wait till you've saved enough to but gears and lockers front and rear so they can be installed at the same time same cost to do both as one. You can get by for a while with the 3.55's I did not the best idea, but had to wait on the money also.

The stock wheels are too narrow for that size of tire you need a 15x8" with 3.75" of BS and remember you will need 5 of them not 4 if you have a flat all must be the same size its a 4wd. Summit and Jegs have good prices on wheels also you can check them also. Sometimes you can find tires local tire shop for a good price I did and bought 5 of the ones you see for $698.

Rustys has a Sway Bar Disconnect for a reasonable price that fits all lift heights sizes its adj. and nice to disconnect for more flex off road.
If I got a 3" lift and trimmed my fenders to try to fit 33" tires, you think I would definitely need to regear? Why? Could you explain the regearing process and give an estimate on how much it would cost to do it as cheap as possible? Because I'm trying to stick yo my $1500 budget and as of now regearing is not a very high priority at all.

With 31" tires, you think I'll be just fine without regearing or anything? But 33" tires you think it'd be pretty bad to not regear? Just getting an adj track bar and tc drop kit if needed wouldn't be enough?
Old 05-09-2015, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by SteveMongr
Will your state register a 'salvaged title' vehicle?
Will your insurance company cover it? Many will not.

With the doors, rocker panel, and B-pillar crushed, the integrity of jeep is compromised. How is the frame-rail and floor pan in the damaged area, does damage extend to the frame-rails?
The insurance of the person that hit me is covering it and it has already been fixed, so we are just waiting for the title now.
Old 05-09-2015, 04:11 PM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ

Originally Posted by SpencerXJ
The insurance of the person that hit me is covering it and it has already been fixed, so we are just waiting for the title now.
If any insurance company totals the vehicle and you keep the vehicle, it will have a 'salvage title'. Some states will not register a salvaged title vehicle for highway use.
And some insurers will not cover it, considering it a safety issue.
I suggest calling your insurer to find out about their policy and the state law.

Quick Reply: 96 XJ Lift Advice