Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

93 Cherokee Sport XJ Hotsabi Hydroxy Booster

Old 04-17-2012, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6
Post 93 Cherokee Sport XJ Hotsabi Hydroxy Booster

I'm just another XJ noob enthusiast that maybe has too much time on his hands. But, I'm pretty handy and a quick learner so it seems like a fun thing to do.

This HHO thing really has me fascinated lately, with gas prices through the roof and all, so I thought I'd post my progress here for others since there's not much out there yet. I imagine it'll be getting more popular though. (I confess though that while mpg got me interested, it isn't my main reason for doing this anymore since finding out how good it is for the engine.)

Here's the Jeep:

Here's the 4.0L engine:

Here's the my Hotsabi so far:

I can't remember where I got the Hotsabi PDF but if anyone wants it just let me know. It's free somewhere online too.

I also have plans for the Smack booster if you want those. I sort of used the bubbler design of the Smack booster, as you can see in the pic. Although, I added a second bubbler to mine along with a couple one-way flashback arrestor valves. Maybe that's overkill but I wanted to be careful since I'm new at this.

I also used stainless steel pot scrubbers instead of steel mesh. Though I did use some large 74% opening SS mesh (ordered the wrong kind) to hold the pot scrubber in the ABS cap in the booster.

I'm currently working on the best way to wire it up to the engine.

I found out that I shouldn't use the Oil Pressure Sending Unit here: https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/wi...g-unit-132481/

(Oh, and don't get an elbow for the fitting on the ABS lid. That was a terrible idea because it makes it a pain to screw it in properly and get the barb past the top each turn.) I finally shaved down the top with a razor. :-D I believe I left enough plastic to hold what little pressure might get generated within. If I make another I'll just get a straight barbed to npt fitting.

I'm currently learning all I can about the ASD relay...

Last edited by lucknuts; 04-17-2012 at 03:07 PM. Reason: added details
Old 04-17-2012, 03:46 PM

Here's something, I think.

I hope it didn't sound like I was doubting you ETexas. I appreciate the help. I just want to learn all I can and get most of the details before I go modding my wiring.

This looks good so far. If having it come on for a second before startup is the only caveat it should probably be fine. Maybe it'll even give the startup a boost. hehe

I'm just trying to not blow myself up, or worse, break my Jeep.

Okay, I'll probably do this this weekend and I'll post some more pics after that.

Last edited by lucknuts; 04-17-2012 at 03:48 PM. Reason: added two more words and now it's funny
Old 04-17-2012, 05:14 PM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

HHO is kind of an idea or theory. Mainly forcing itself into the marketplace when gas prices started fluctuating strongly in the early 2000's. In reality, there is a strong divide. Some say it works wonders, and can even replace the need for fuel completely (this was on Pitchmen). I have heard so many mixed reviews, and seen so much BS online that I gave up on the idea. I always wanted to see how it worked, if not for an increase in fuel efficiency, then just to see if there could be any applications.

This peaked my interest again after learning of a few other systems, such as wood gas and electrical, for a possible (and possibly uber-inefficient) energy source in case of emergency.

Keep us updated, and let us know where you are starting off, from MPG to how it runs. See if there are any real benefits from this and let us know. I'd be much more assured if someone here were to give a real review, as opposed to people trying to sell the product.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:19 PM

I hope moving this discussion to it's own thread is alright with you ETexas XJ It seemed like the thing to do. I've been thinking about what you said all day and it just dawned on me that maybe you're a freakin' genius.

Here's the wiring diagram for the Hotsabi:

And, if what I think you're saying is right then I can use the ASD relay instead of putting in a new relay! That would be awesome.

Something like this maybe?

Plus, I still plan on adding a kill switch and maybe other things to the hot end which isn't shown but hopefully that shows the idea.

So? Yeah?
Old 04-17-2012, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by CPLSeraphim
HHO is kind of an idea or theory. Mainly forcing itself into the marketplace when gas prices started fluctuating strongly in the early 2000's. In reality, there is a strong divide. Some say it works wonders, and can even replace the need for fuel completely (this was on Pitchmen). I have heard so many mixed reviews, and seen so much BS online that I gave up on the idea. I always wanted to see how it worked, if not for an increase in fuel efficiency, then just to see if there could be any applications.

This peaked my interest again after learning of a few other systems, such as wood gas and electrical, for a possible (and possibly uber-inefficient) energy source in case of emergency.

Keep us updated, and let us know where you are starting off, from MPG to how it runs. See if there are any real benefits from this and let us know. I'd be much more assured if someone here were to give a real review, as opposed to people trying to sell the product.

Good luck and keep us posted.

I agree, the product pushers. They're ruining the interwebs anyway.

AND I sure hope this doesn't devolve into some debate about the idea of the whole thing. I don't care. I just thought it would be fun to try and I'm doing it. So, there.

AND please don't mention the mythbusters. I used to love the show and those guys are good. But, they messed stuff up all the time by not following directions or leaving out steps. I was always yelling at the screen watching that show.

Last edited by lucknuts; 04-17-2012 at 06:00 PM. Reason: oops bad word, got excited
Old 04-17-2012, 05:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door

looks familiar! not what you're talking about, I mean your xj. I have a 93 also
I havent seen too many in the same color

whatever you're talking about sounds like a different language to me.
but I'm pretty sure Hotwasabi or whatever goes on your sushi
good looking jeep doe haha good luck
Old 04-17-2012, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Atmos
looks familiar! not what you're talking about, I mean your xj. I have a 93 also
I havent seen too many in the same color

whatever you're talking about sounds like a different language to me.
but I'm pretty sure Hotwasabi or whatever goes on your sushi
good looking jeep doe haha good luck
Thanks. Sorry, the color is the only thing I don't like about this vehicle. The red strips on the blue was just downright ugly too. I'm looking forward to giving this baby some kind of DIY paint job at some point. Desert Camo?
Old 04-17-2012, 07:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door

Originally Posted by lucknuts
Thanks. Sorry, the color is the only thing I don't like about this vehicle. The red strips on the blue was just downright ugly too. I'm looking forward to giving this baby some kind of DIY paint job at some point. Desert Camo?
ahhhhhhhhh haha. it's ok I dont like it either. I've got plans for gunmetal blue/gray
I'm not really a fan of camo personally. it's not a generally accepted style where I live
maybe a red white black camo would be cool. like one of the gun camos on COD. thats my vote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:52 AM

Default Testing... 1... 2... 2 1/2...

Thanks to ETextas XJ and everyone who's been so helpful this far. Some reminders got me thinking about gas output and that I should probably test that before installing anything so...

I set up a little test area and managed to make a little homemade eudiometer to measure the gas produced.

I had this 3/8" barbed to 3/4" npt fitting that fit perfectly in an old ink cartridge syringe. So, I just drilled several small holes in it to let the water out.

I ran each test three times then averaged the results.

Test 1: 1/2tsp/gal = nada, ziltch, nothing, maybe one bubble
This first test was a bit discouraging since the Hotsabi creator says he runs his system with 1tsp/8 liters (about 2gal).

Test 2: 2tsp/gal = 60ml/min
It was nice to see that the unit works at all.

Test 3: 3TB/gal = 300ml/min
Ahh, there we go, a decent result. So, it seems that the information about the mixture is more correct here:
http://www.minigreenmachine.com/HHO%...iderations.htm

They use 3oz. (6TB) of a different kind of lye per gallon.

I'm going to drain it, change the mixture and run another text using 3oz. If that gives me a little over half a liter per minute it should be right in line with what they say at the following site about discovering it only takes about 1/8th of a liter per minute per liter of engine. I have a 4.0L. So, .5L/min should be perfect.

brb
Old 04-20-2012, 10:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Interesting.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:36 AM

Test 4: 6TB/Gal = lots more but I can't measure it yet

Man, it seems to be pumping out quite a bit of gas now but this little diy eudiometer gets filled up completely in a few seconds.

I was starting the stopwatch when it hit 10ml and stopping and 20ml to see how long it took to get 10ml.

But, I can't seem to get it, even when I rush and try to measure 50ml at a time. Does anyone have any ideas for a better way to measure the output? Thanks.

Edit: Never mind. Sry. I can clearly see that it's putting out 10+ ml a second so over 600ml/min so right between .5 and 1L/min like I wanted.

So, it looks like I'm ready to install now. Cool.

Last edited by lucknuts; 04-20-2012 at 12:31 PM. Reason: never mind
Old 04-20-2012, 11:48 AM

Is 5-90 on cf? Jon knows everything.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:51 PM

Year: 1992 2 door sport

I'm going to have to google this. I have no idea what your doing or what this system is but it is very interesting and I like seeing all the hard work your putting into it. Keep up the hard work.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990

Originally Posted by lucknuts
Test 4: 6TB/Gal = lots more but I can't measure it yet

Man, it seems to be pumping out quite a bit of gas now but this little diy eudiometer gets filled up completely in a few seconds.

I was starting the stopwatch when it hit 10ml and stopping and 20ml to see how long it took to get 10ml.

But, I can't seem to get it, even when I rush and try to measure 50ml at a time. Does anyone have any ideas for a better way to measure the output? Thanks.

Edit: Never mind. Sry. I can clearly see that it's putting out 10+ ml a second so over 600ml/min so right between .5 and 1L/min like I wanted.

So, it looks like I'm ready to install now. Cool.
glasstube flow meter, eudiometer is only good for measurement after ONE reaction process, not a constant one like you are undertaking. even if you measure from 10mL to 20mL, that is only a 'snapshot' of what is occuring. i think watching the reaction start and continue for a few minutes will give you a more reliable result.
i used to use these vvvvvv meters/flow controls for nitrogen testing, you can buy them in cc/min, scf/min, L/min and so on with a ton of graduations available.
Attached Images  

Last edited by hankthetank; 04-20-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:10 PM

I don't have a computer hooked up to it yet like I want. But, our closest estimate for the current MPG is 12.8.

I doubt the HHO will have any effect on MPG until we get something to trick the ECU or O2 sensor or something into not reading lean. I just thought I'd post the MPG for those that're curious.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 93 Cherokee Sport XJ Hotsabi Hydroxy Booster