Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

90 XJ transmission and cooling issues (solutions?)

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 90 XJ transmission and cooling issues (solutions?)

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum, but not to Jeeps. That being said, I know that there have been a lot of configurations for Jeeps over the last 20-30 years.

My XJ is old. It's rough. It needs a lot of work. Biggest problem is that, even witout a thermostat, it overheats. I've swapped out the water pump, flushed the system, repaired and then replaced the overflow tank, and finally removed the thermostat completely. Usually, as long as I'm driving, it stays around 100* - 120*, but lately it now stays up around normal temp. I know it's not overheating, but given that there isn't a thermostat, I can't track down why it would still be climbing like that. Should I just go all electric fans and swap out for a newer, better radiator? Would that fix it?

Secondly, my trans is all jacked up. Based on research, I'm fairly certain it still has the stock auto in it. It's odd to describe, but I either have to stay under about 30% throttle or above 80% to keep it from slipping or constantly shifting up and down. I'm frustrated with it as I've flushed, changed filters, modulators, and TCUs. I don't want to rip it out and rebuild it. I've decided on swapping it out for a M/T. So, given that, what are the best options for a direct swap with as little modification as possible? These kind of jobs/upgrades are not new to me, but it would be the first time I'm doing it to an XJ, so any tips would be appreciated. Will I have to mess with the ECU at all?

This is my daily... for now. I'm good with upgrading, but I don't have the time or money to go all out right now (military, kids, etc.). I NEED this Jeep to be running as smooth as possible, both because I need it for transportation and because it lets me keep my sanity.

'preciate it,
G
Old 07-14-2017, 10:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Up grade radiator to 91 to 94 open syste. As for manual upgrade external slave cylinder setup with ax15 trans. Must use 1990 and down flywheel for proper cps signal. Find a donor xj for parts swap. Part out whats left recoop some cost.