Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'88 XJ w/ 4" lift needs new front shaft

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default '88 XJ w/ 4" lift needs new front shaft

First off, I am real new to all things Jeep and lifted vehicles. This new-to-us XJ has a bad front shaft, and apparently the older XJ front driveshaft has an expensive joint in it...

The shop owner called to make sure I wanted to drop $400 on a new shaft before he had it made. I've heard rumors that some years can use shafts from certain Grand Cherokee models but I don't know any details, so I thought I would ask the collective wisdom here if there are any suggestions?
TIA!
Old 08-09-2017, 02:08 PM
::Regional Moderator::

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: h.o. 4.0l

What's bad about the driveshaft?
The u-joints are replaceable and making a new driveshaft shouldn't be needed. Pick one up at the junkyard and replace the u-joints your self you will save a lot of money. I'm running a stock front driveshaft on 6.5" lift.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by 89limited_hero
What's bad about the driveshaft?
The u-joints are replaceable and making a new driveshaft shouldn't be needed. Pick one up at the junkyard and replace the u-joints your self you will save a lot of money. I'm running a stock front driveshaft on 6.5" lift.
Apparently that skinny piece in the photo is a slip joint and the one I have is trashed, wiggles all around. I've located a used one from a '96 that might work. If not, I'll just have to suck it up. Oh, and while driveshafts are pretty tough, if they're dented, they're garbage, 'cause you'll never get them to balance.
After talking to my diff mechanic, it is the cardon (sp?) joint that was bad. That's the large joint to the right side of the pic, with two U-joints and a carrier. That carrier piece has a joint in the center, and that is what was trashed.

Last edited by kerensky; 08-10-2017 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Most big diesel shops can rebuild the shaft for you,I have had custom 1 piece driveshafts made for me for 350 bucks before at a local diesel shop.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
Most big diesel shops can rebuild the shaft for you,I have had custom 1 piece driveshafts made for me for 350 bucks before at a local diesel shop.
Aye, there's a good driveline fab place here in OKC. They'd already quoted $400 to build a new one. Yesterday I found a shaft from a '96 XJ at a local junkyard. Figured for $40 it was worth the gamble - it looks identical to the original. The differential shop looked it over good and installed it, seems to be working just fine according to them. I looked up front shafts on rockauto from different years. The length spec changes a little bit from year to year, but the shaft seems to be the same design. I guess that slip joint in the middle allows it to work for a range of years and also allows it to work with lifts and such. Maybe?
Old 08-11-2017, 07:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I go to the junkyards all the time to get spare front shafts, 40 bucks back on the road, trash the old one or rebuild it.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

Honestly, its cheaper to just keep getting JY shafts and putting new u-joints in.

The Centering Yoke (on the CV side) is about $60 or so, but the splines need to be cut off and a new splines section welded on if you have too much play.

OR get a custom one from Tattons or Adams Driveshafts - its pretty easy to measure the old one and they build theirs to really be abused. Cost would be a bit cheaper, around $300 to $350 but you need to wait for shipping which may or may not be worth the extra $50 to have one built locally
Old 08-11-2017, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by mrshaft696
I go to the junkyards all the time to get spare front shafts, 40 bucks back on the road, trash the old one or rebuild it.
Pretty much sums up where I'm at right now. Putting that extra cash I didn't spend on a new shaft into having the differential shop go thru both diffs and the transfer case, change fluids and inspect them for damage.

Originally Posted by investinwaffles
Honestly, its cheaper to just keep getting JY shafts and putting new u-joints in.

The Centering Yoke (on the CV side) is about $60 or so, but the splines need to be cut off and a new splines section welded on if you have too much play.
Now that's the kind of information I was asking for. I'll do a bit of research so I'll be more informed next time. Is there a thread or article you could point me to that goes into more detail?
Old 08-11-2017, 09:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

I searched up a video on YouTube then rebuilt mine. I think I had $75 in the rebuild. New centerball cv joint & lifetime warranty u joint from Auto Zone. Took about a hour.

The front is still in great shape even after a few good beat downs. I've destroyed one rear shaft & will more than likely finish up the second one next weekend.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by kerensky
Pretty much sums up where I'm at right now. Putting that extra cash I didn't spend on a new shaft into having the differential shop go thru both diffs and the transfer case, change fluids and inspect them for damage.

Now that's the kind of information I was asking for. I'll do a bit of research so I'll be more informed next time. Is there a thread or article you could point me to that goes into more detail?
Hmm, well for the splines section I can't really find too much. Probably because it is fairly specialized to cut + weld a new splines section on because the driveshaft needs to be as close to 100% straight and balanced as possible.

The heat from welding often times throws it slightly out of round, so you need to heat that section and quench it repeatedly to try and balance the shaft again, while checking it with a micrometer and balancing machine.

But for the CV Centering yoke - there are quite a few videos on Youtube (ditto for the u-joints)

You can get a full rebuid kit off ebay for fairly cheap (just the joints + centering yoke)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JEEP-TJ-YJ-X...dYowMp&vxp=mtr

So, you might want to consider grabbing a front shaft from the junkyard, and checking the splines for any play. If you can find one that is in good shape - it would likely be worth rebuilding.

--

And for what it's worth, I had a hard time finding a good condition driveshaft at my local Junkyard because they use forklifts to move the vehicles, and the driveshafts are pretty much exactly where the forks sit so they always get bent. I did finally find a good one, bought it for $18 and had a shop balance it for another $60 or $70.

The joints were all in great shape so I only have about $100 into the shaft but if I were to do it again I would just save up and get a custom one.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by investinwaffles
Hmm, well for the splines section I can't really find too much. Probably because it is fairly specialized to cut + weld a new splines section on because the driveshaft needs to be as close to 100% straight and balanced as possible.
So, you might want to consider grabbing a front shaft from the junkyard, and checking the splines for any play. If you can find one that is in good shape - it would likely be worth rebuilding.
Excellent advice. I'll talk to my differential guy Monday and see if he's tossed that driveshaft. From what he'd said I think it was just that carden joint that was bad, so perhaps it can be rebuilt. I think this "new" one will be good for awhile.

Love that video title - 'angry sparrow' is an apt description.