Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.5" lift death wobble help

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.5" lift death wobble help

I lifted my 92 xj last weekend. New coils, new shocks, bastard rear leaf pack, brake extensions all around. It has serious death wobble at 40 mph and I've done some research on it, but as I'm going to have to buy new parts(hoping for just a track bar and lower control arms) a paycheck at a time which is most important to get ASAP?
Old 03-20-2013, 08:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

I'd say track bar out of the two. But it sounds like your alignment is all out of whack if you have the OEM trackbar and LCAs on 4.5" of lift. There's quite a few more components that can cause it, look over everything!
Old 03-20-2013, 08:23 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0

100%-ly it's your track bar I had this probably when lifting mine I still run the stock arm so I know it's not that. And make sure you align your front as well
Old 03-20-2013, 08:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Its a process of elimination. Start with the track bar and new LCAs.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:28 AM

I'm getting my alignment first thing Friday morning(next pay check) and I'm going to ask the shop if anything track bar aside looks out of whack. Really hoping the tie rod ends and ball joints last, the former are less than a year old.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.5L Stroker

Im at 4" front 4.5"rear lift with no wobble or sye. Had dw till I replaced driveshaft u-joints And alignment. I have stock arms/trackbar. You can drill trackbar bracket to recenter axle too.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:02 AM
Old School CF Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001

Dont cheap out and use the pissy little stock trac bar at 4.5" of lift.. thats dumb

Buy at least an adj one.. if you have the coin for a double sheer thats the way to go.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:43 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 6cyl

Yeah don't do it cheap. You need an adj TB

And personally if you brought it to align to me I wouldn't until you have the correct parts. Your axle isn't centered and a TB is your answer. Don't drill you'll regret it later.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:04 PM

Thanks guys. I'll probably go with the Rubicon adjustable track bar, the price is about right for my current budget. I'm glad someone said not to bother with the alignment yet i didn't really want to do that every time i did something. I'll probably update if the TB and alignment take care of the wobble.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

Originally Posted by wzfallon
Thanks guys. I'll probably go with the Rubicon adjustable track bar, the price is about right for my current budget. I'm glad someone said not to bother with the alignment yet i didn't really want to do that every time i did something. I'll probably update if the TB and alignment take care of the wobble.
Get the double sheer RE trackbar from Serious Offroad
Old 03-20-2013, 01:27 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992
Model: Comanche

Originally Posted by THare22
Yeah don't do it cheap. You need an adj TB

And personally if you brought it to align to me I wouldn't until you have the correct parts. Your axle isn't centered and a TB is your answer. Don't drill you'll regret it later.
Yes! I wish I haven't done it to mine :/
Old 04-07-2013, 12:11 PM

Alright so I've got my track bar on. Now i need help with my LCAs.the ratchet straps i have don't seem to be heavy duty enough to shift my axle. Any suggestions? It'd be great to get her back on the road today
Old 04-07-2013, 12:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wzfallon
Alright so I've got my track bar on. Now i need help with my LCAs.the ratchet straps i have don't seem to be heavy duty enough to shift my axle. Any suggestions? It'd be great to get her back on the road today
Do one side at a time. Use a floor jack under the axle at wheel end. Jack under the front of the spring perch to move the bottom forward for longer arms. Jack under the shock mount to go the other way. Just did mine like this. Worked great.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:46 PM

Year: 98

Ratchet strap didnt work for me either. I have a small come along that worked great! Hooked to tranny cross member and to lca bracket. Only needed that last litl half inch or so and ratchet strap jus wuznt enuff! If u didnt have track bar already in, i did mine the first time by dropping the front axle as low as i could til it would line up. Alot more movement in the axle when the spring load wuz off! So far all front end probs ive had show really quick by having sumone turn the steering wheel while i watched all the linkage and joints! Any play showed right away. Best if tires are on concrete or ashphalt, u need that load on it to really see any play! Good luck!
Old 04-11-2013, 05:31 AM

Thanks guys. I still need an alignment, getting one tomorrow. But i was able to hit 45 last night for the first time since i lifted it, track bar aside it turns out it was a shot steering damper (truly shot, leaking all over the place) and the tie rod end that goes to the pitman arm was completely worn. Everything else was snug and torqued right.

Quick Reply: 4.5" lift death wobble help