Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.5 inch lift questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default 4.5 inch lift questions

HEy guys i want to do about a 4.5 inch lift on a budget until i can afford to do the lift kit i really want. What im wondering is, i can find the coils and leafs relatively cheap on ebay, but other than that what do i need? And will a sye and grand cherokee shaft combination work for the rear driveshaft? Will i need another front driveshaft? All help and answers appreciated! Thanks ahead of time!
Old 12-11-2013, 06:38 PM

Keep on the lookout for springs on here or another source. Maybe spacers also.

Build a bastard leaf pack. I used 20$ Dakota leafs. Rides like a Cadillac when loaded with gear and tools.

Sye for 242 and front driveshaft. Same as your front d30.

Then probably need to fix up your alignment. Control arm adjustment at 4.5" or replacement.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:36 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

In addition to springs and/or spacers.

Adjustable control arms or control arm drop brackets. Longer sway bar end links. Adjustable track bar. Relocated or extended brake lines. This is the front.

The back you may need shackles, likely degree shims and recommend shackle relocation brackets. Relocated or extended brake lines.

Driveline SYE and new or jy drive shaft for rear or transfer case drop and degree shims.

Shocks all the way around.

Really consider just waiting, saving and do it good first.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:41 PM

Engine: 4.0

Find my build thread on here. I just did a 4.5" lift on a real budget and have part numbers listed of cheap ways to get longer shocks, brakelines, etc... You will need control arms. If you only can do one I'd recommend adjustable lowers so you can get your pinion angle and caster good. You my be able to get away with a transfer case drop but the Iron Rock Hack and tap is only $100 and an XJ front shaft is $50 tops at a junkyard. Do a bastard pack and a longer shackle in the rear and some shims to get your rear pinion good and you can get by fine. You could go with an adjustable track bar but if yours is in good shape just drill a new hole. I'm still running the stock one and it is not a limiting factor in flex with short arms and 4.5". By the way you can get RE 4.5" front springs for $75/pr on Amazon.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:47 AM

Engine: 4.0l

I dont mind spending money for the name brand stuff but outside of the springs and leafs im not sure exactly what ill need. My plans for the jeep for now are 8.8 swap with iro kit, 4.5" lift (until i can afford the iro 8" lift), 35s, eventually ax15 and a bunch of other stuff. I might just buy a 4.5 inch rc kit for now.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:05 AM

Year: 88

Originally Posted by jeepster13
I dont mind spending money for the name brand stuff but outside of the springs and leafs im not sure exactly what ill need. My plans for the jeep for now are 8.8 swap with iro kit, 4.5" lift (until i can afford the iro 8" lift), 35s, eventually ax15 and a bunch of other stuff. I might just buy a 4.5 inch rc kit for now.
I have basically the same setup. I have RC 4.5 springs and when I put them in, in order to get my axle straight I had to get a RC track bar because stock was too short, I also had to get upper and lower arms because they were also too short. My front axle was 2" to the drivers side and 2" toward the rear of the jeep. I also have EX 8.8 with 2" shackles (8.8 actually lifts jeep a little) and NO transfer case drop and NO SYE. Haven't had any problems yet but I'm looking into SYE next.