Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 way remote start

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 11:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 190 Likes on 165 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default 2 way remote start

My jeep currently has a remote start from 2000, but I'm getting tired of the lock and unlock being on the same button. Also, the range seems to slowly be decreasing over time. So here's the question. Has anyone installed a 2 way remote start (currently thinking about the viper 5806V) or know how much different a one way vs a two way install is? The system I have now is an old viper system also so I was hoping I could take it out, match up some/most of the wires and then only have a couple to figure out. This definitely wouldn't be my first wiring job, I'm not scared to do some research and some noggin pokin. Just curious if anyone possibly knows what all I'd be getting myself into before I dig in, or if someone has a certain recommendation on a kit or really any advice.
Thanks in advance!
Old 02-18-2017, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I have installed several on different vehicles. No difference between installing a 1 way and a 2 way except the antenna and brain box. How old is the current Viper system? You will likely have to change it all over unless it has the newer style main relays. But it would be pretty close to color for color matching.

The newer DEI (Viper, Python, Clifford, etc) have tons of wiring needed for newer car installs that our ole Jeeps don't, so you can just clip them off.

This is my current favorite unit: http://a.co/dT4VN33
Old 02-18-2017, 08:11 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by b16gsr
I have installed several on different vehicles. No difference between installing a 1 way and a 2 way except the antenna and brain box. How old is the current Viper system? You will likely have to change it all over unless it has the newer style main relays. But it would be pretty close to color for color matching.

The newer DEI (Viper, Python, Clifford, etc) have tons of wiring needed for newer car installs that our ole Jeeps don't, so you can just clip them off.

This is my current favorite unit: http://a.co/dT4VN33
I believe that system and the one I'm looking at are the same essentially with a different brand name and different style remote. Same model number just with a p or a v at the end. Good to hear it should be mostly color for color. Thanks!
Old 03-03-2017, 05:04 PM
CF Veteran

Well all these colors are different, I'm going to try and figure it out and we'll see how it goes. Would anyone happen to be a viper authorized dealer and want to help a buddy out and get the installation manual for my 150hf? Or would anyone have any tips for me? Thanks
Old 03-03-2017, 11:19 PM
CF Veteran

Well I have it pretty much done. I have everything wired up, well almost. There are a couple wires such as the neutral safety switch which I'll wire tomorrow and I don't understand where to wire the door wire so it knows the door is open to program it. The doors lock and unlock though, just no start yet.
Old 03-04-2017, 02:09 PM
CF Veteran

Well I got it all working now.