Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2” lift stock sway bar links

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 V6
Default 2” lift stock sway bar links

I just bought my first XJ. It’s a 2000 Cherokee and it came with a 2” lift. My question is the guy that had it before pulled the sway bar off. I don’t have a problem driving it without the sway bar, but when we go to the dunes and we take the camper my wife has to drive the Duner (XJ), and I pull the camper. She does not like the feel of the Jeep without the sway bar. I will be upgrading to the Rough Country 4.5” over the winter and don’t want to buy a aftermarket set because the lift kit will come with it. I’m new to this so don’t know a ton. The research I did had some people saying stock will work with a 2” lift and until you get to at least a 3.5” lift you are fine. Others said you need a specific angle and will need extended links. My question is With the stock links can they be cut and weld on an extension? If so would a 1” extension or 2” be recommended? With a 2” lift can I get away with the stock sway bar links? Sorry if this has been asked. I just don’t want to damage anything by running shorter links.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96
Model: Cherokee

WELCOME!

I've got a 2" lift on mine. Stock links are fine. The only time I connect mine is when I'm towing. DON"T tow without the stabilizer bar connected!
The following users liked this post:
Jrbmsu (07-23-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 01:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 249 Likes on 199 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by EZEARL
WELCOME!

I've got a 2" lift on mine. Stock links are fine. The only time I connect mine is when I'm towing. DON"T tow without the stabilizer bar connected!
X2... 2" lift here as well and works just fine with stock links.
Old 07-28-2019, 02:10 AM
awg
CF Veteran

Received 608 Likes on 518 Posts
Year: 96
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Jrbmsu
With a 2” lift can I get away with the stock sway bar links? Sorry if this has been asked. I just don’t want to damage anything by running shorter links.
Using the stock links, pack underneath the lower bushes with ~ 1/2" spacer, (or washers), this will make it angle quite well with a 2" lift

I would not feel safe without a front sway bar under emergency braking at highway speeds.

as a side note, I can R&R my sway bar & links in 5mins each way, using an electric impact gun, without touching an other component..almost no need for quick disconnects
Old 07-28-2019, 07:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

Originally Posted by awg
Using the stock links, pack underneath the lower bushes with ~ 1/2" spacer, (or washers), this will make it angle quite well with a 2" lift

I would not feel safe without a front sway bar under emergency braking at highway speeds.

as a side note, I can R&R my sway bar & links in 5mins each way, using an electric impact gun, without touching an other component..almost no need for quick disconnects

I drive without a sway bar all the time.......only connect it for state inspections.

No problem with emergency maneuvers...steering or braking. I actually prefer the way it handles & rides disconnected.

I have a homemade sway bar drop bracket (used some spare 2" hitch insert tubing that was 2 5/8 OD), and no fancy disconnects or links (still using the stock links). I simply remove the top bushing, washer & nut on each side, swing the bar up, put the bushing, washer & nut back on & tighten until 2-3 threads are showing above the nut. I then take a double ended snap hook to connect the end of the sway bar to a small u-bolt I mounted under the air box....holds the sway bar up & out of the way just fine, and got some things out of my spare stuff bin.

Takes me maybe 3 min to connect or disconnect the sway bar with a combination wrench.

Last edited by TRCM; 07-30-2019 at 02:45 PM.