Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2" Lift

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 2" Lift

Planning on lifting my XJ 2 inches, my rear leaf springs are shot so I was planning on getting full packs. The only company I have seen that offers 2" packs is OME, I'm wondering if there is anyone else that offers them? Also, what is the difference between the Heavy/Medium/Light load ratings, are they going to ride a lot differently? for the front I'm just planning on doing coil spacers. Finally, what are thoughts about shocks for a 2" lift? I know there not "required" but is there any downfall or using the stock shocks?

Thanks for the help guys, I'm sure your all worn out about lift talk haha
Old 02-01-2011, 07:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

the heavier the spring the stiffer it will be. light will be softer than heavy. and as for shocks im running a 2" lift and with out sway bars i fully extend my stock shocks. im thinking about getting 3" lifted shocks.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998

I put on the OME 2" rear and front.
The good thing is you don't have all the probs with having to extend driveshafts, drop tcases and even changing shocks. (I kept my stock shocks).
I went with 15 x 8's and 30 inch KM2s.
I'll put up some picts soon.
The only difference with the OME heavy and medium... and I didn't even consider the light ones, is that the heavy ones have a flat plate at the bottom, so even if you overload the springs to the point of inverting (in the case of towing) the plate stops them from inverting. The ride is fine, the articulation works well. If you go on the OME site, they have some pretty good picts. Also, if you call and speak to a tech there, they'll talk to you for hours if you want. I thought that was cool.
From all of the reasearch I did, and all the posts on multiple sites I looked at, they geneerally said OME is top of the line, and the most expensive. I plan on putting on springs once, and in the year that I've had them have been very happy.
The only other suggestions I have, change the rear spring shackles while you are under there, and change the bushings on the rear sway bar at least. Grease the heck out of everything you can reach.
You might want to put in a 1 inch poly spacer in the front springs. It'll even up the lift a little (by design the front is an inch downfacing)
Remember, a "2-inch-lift" is really about 3 to 3 and a half inches. My 30's clear really well, arre beefy enough for some sand riding and mudding, but don't destroy the gas mileage or daily drive.
Good-luck, any other issues or q's, PM me. I'll try to help.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:56 AM
CF Veteran

Also, front coil spring compressors aren't really necessary for the installation... but the sure do make it easier!
Old 02-02-2011, 10:32 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

Billy boy, did you have to extend your break lines? Hows the ride with the stock shocks?
Old 02-02-2011, 11:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001

Originally Posted by plotski999
Planning on lifting my XJ 2 inches, my rear leaf springs are shot so I was planning on getting full packs. The only company I have seen that offers 2" packs is OME, I'm wondering if there is anyone else that offers them? Also, what is the difference between the Heavy/Medium/Light load ratings, are they going to ride a lot differently? for the front I'm just planning on doing coil spacers. Finally, what are thoughts about shocks for a 2" lift? I know there not "required" but is there any downfall or using the stock shocks?

Thanks for the help guys, I'm sure your all worn out about lift talk haha
Light load springs are for stock cherokees that have no aftermarket accessories or weight in the back. Medium load springs are for cherokees that carry some tools and oversized spare tire. Heavy load springs are for those with heavy aftermarket accessories, such as bumpers, skids, and lots of tools and for towing. I ran the HD springs and got 2". They never sagged under the load of 300 lbs worth of tools. Most people use the medium load springs and if they ever want to upgrade, Old Man Emu has an AAL kit to add to the springs to increase load and add about an inch but these are not like traditional AAL's. I later added two sets of these OME AAL's and it still rode nicely but increased my spring height from 2" to 3.5".

OLD MAN EMU-CS034RA (OMEJC1A) 5 leaves in pack, 148lbs/inch s.r. 230mm (9.055") free height= Average lift of ~3"
OLD MAN EMU-CS034RB (OMEJC1B) 5 leaves in pack, 148lbs/inch s.r. 205mm (8.07") free height
OLD MAN EMU-CS035RA (OMEJC2A) 4 + 1 overload, 137/257lbs/in s.r. 235mm (9.25") free height
OLD MAN EMU-CS035RB (OMEJC2B) 4 + 1 overload, 137/257lbs/in s.r. 210mm (8.27") free height
OLD MAN EMU- D22XL (OME Add A Leaf) ~ 1" lift on top of their lift packs

Another rear spring option is to buy replacement rear cherokee leaf springs ($90-ish a side) and use 2" long-style AAL's. Most people frown upon using AAL's on stock packs BUT using a long AAL in a brand new stock pack is actually a good mod. There are a few companies out there that offer a long-style 2" AAL that rides pretty decent, unlike those short dump-truck style AAL's.

Stock shocks can be used with a 2" lift but I don't recommend that cuz they will bottom out on droop if you plan on flexing. You can lengthen shocks using extended BPE's which raise/lower the shock mounts. A popular and cheap shock mod is using JK shocks. They are good on our xj's for up to 3" of lift and pretty much bolt in (with some modding to the bushings).
Old 02-02-2011, 12:14 PM
CF Veteran

The brake linies were plenty long enough, although you have to protect them a bit during the install. Really, I don't actually like how they hand. A bit unprotected. I'm thinking about upgrading to stainless steel braided.

Check out the album I uploaded for a full sweep of the before and after picts, with stock tires.

Here's a taste.

2" Lift-100_1138.jpg

2" Lift-100_1421.jpg

The before and after's a bit obvious.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:21 PM
CF Veteran

I changed the stock shocks (Monroe sensitracks) when I got the jeep. I felt it would be a waste of cash to upgrade them while they work. I think I might put the stud relocators on this summer sometime. Relatively cheap, easier to change the shocks in the future, and buys you an extra 2 inches of length. Might even save the current shocks in the longrun, especially since they're lifetime warrenty. The ride is fine though, and like I said, most of my riding is on sand dunes, trails through woods and mud and snow. If I was articulating, I guess I'd think about changing them, but why waste the cash while they still work?

Also, the last poster was right about the new stock shocks with 2 AALs. If you put AALs on new springs, they prolly hold up pretty well. The OME has military wraps though, although I'm not really sure how much of a diff that is. I also went with the poly bushings and just hand greased them on the way in. They were about the same cost as stock rubbers... amybe about 10 bucks more.

Good luck- have fun.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:22 PM
CF Veteran

BTW...
Good info MUDDE
Thanks!
Old 02-02-2011, 02:43 PM

Thanks for the info guys I really appreciate it, I've been having a hard time trying to piece together exactly what I'm looking for as there certianly isn't a kit that has everything, except that OME one, but I don't think I'm ready for a $800 commitment
Old 02-02-2011, 02:46 PM

BillyBoy,

You had no problems with drive line vibrations or anything like that?
Old 02-02-2011, 03:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001

Originally Posted by plotski999
Thanks for the info guys I really appreciate it, I've been having a hard time trying to piece together exactly what I'm looking for as there certianly isn't a kit that has everything, except that OME one, but I don't think I'm ready for a $800 commitment
I ditched out the $720 and it was my first kit. I can say it was worth every penny. It's probably the only complete 2" quality kit on the market.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by muddeprived
I ditched out the $720 and it was my first kit. I can say it was worth every penny. It's probably the only complete 2" quality kit on the market.

I'm really thinking about that kit, but its hard for me to get my head around the money, I only paid $300 for the whole Jeep!
Old 02-02-2011, 04:20 PM
CF Veteran

Cool

No vibes, no shimmys, no shakes. Allota heads turn.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:29 PM
CF Veteran

Here it is today...
snowing in the D.
Attached Thumbnails 2" Lift-100_1574.jpg   2" Lift-100_1572.jpg  

Quick Reply: 2" Lift