Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st XJ, newly lifted and finding some issues. Looking for advice and feedback

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default 1st XJ, newly lifted and finding some issues. Looking for advice and feedback

Hello everyone,
I just finished lifting my 2000 XJ. I went with an RC 3" series 2 lift, and gained about 3.5 in the front and 4 in the back. With the kit i also replaced the LCAs, and an adjustable track bar.

I've barely driven it since i completed the lift. It developed the expected vibrations, so i'm having a local shop install a SYE and driveshaft for me Monday. In the little ive driven it i have noticed a few things that im hoping you might have some advice for.

1. I upgraded wheels and tires to 31x10.5x15, 15x8 wheels with 3.75 backspacing. I'm getting a fair bit on rubbing around the bumper end caps and rear of the flares. I trimmed the bumper end caps and that's helped there, but just found the rubbing at the bottom rear of the flare. I know i can trim things here and there, but i see so many posts of people saying that they fit similar tires on similar setups and dont have to trim anything. Also, if they're rubbing pulling into my driveway, i'm guessing it'll be awful on the trails with sway bar disconnected.

2. My brakes seem a good bit worse now. I know they aren't know for stopping ability to begin with, and i increased my unsprung weight with tire and wheel upgrades but it SEEMS to stop so much slower now. It could be that i've gotten used to driving our other vehicles the past few weeks (and am overthinking it), but i'm not sure. I did replace my rear brake line during the lift, but i bled the brakes, saw no air, and the pedal doesn't sink. It just seems to slow/stop much more slowly than before.

Ive not yet had my alignment done after the lift. That'll be done Monday as well. Not sure it that will have any impact on the stuff above.

Mainly just wanted to see if anyone has any advice or thoughts on this. It's my first XJ as well as first vehicle i've ever lifted, so it's all a learning process for me. Any info you might have would greatly appreciated.
Thanks everyone
Old 03-11-2018, 03:45 PM

Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0 petrol

Originally Posted by Snakemanc6
Hello everyone,
I just finished lifting my 2000 XJ. I went with an RC 3" series 2 lift, and gained about 3.5 in the front and 4 in the back. With the kit i also replaced the LCAs, and an adjustable track bar.

I've barely driven it since i completed the lift. It developed the expected vibrations, so i'm having a local shop install a SYE and driveshaft for me Monday. In the little ive driven it i have noticed a few things that im hoping you might have some advice for.

1. I upgraded wheels and tires to 31x10.5x15, 15x8 wheels with 3.75 backspacing. I'm getting a fair bit on rubbing around the bumper end caps and rear of the flares. I trimmed the bumper end caps and that's helped there, but just found the rubbing at the bottom rear of the flare. I know i can trim things here and there, but i see so many posts of people saying that they fit similar tires on similar setups and dont have to trim anything. Also, if they're rubbing pulling into my driveway, i'm guessing it'll be awful on the trails with sway bar disconnected.

2. My brakes seem a good bit worse now. I know they aren't know for stopping ability to begin with, and i increased my unsprung weight with tire and wheel upgrades but it SEEMS to stop so much slower now. It could be that i've gotten used to driving our other vehicles the past few weeks (and am overthinking it), but i'm not sure. I did replace my rear brake line during the lift, but i bled the brakes, saw no air, and the pedal doesn't sink. It just seems to slow/stop much more slowly than before.

Ive not yet had my alignment done after the lift. That'll be done Monday as well. Not sure it that will have any impact on the stuff above.

Mainly just wanted to see if anyone has any advice or thoughts on this. It's my first XJ as well as first vehicle i've ever lifted, so it's all a learning process for me. Any info you might have would greatly appreciated.
Thanks everyone
Regarding the braking... my understanding is that as well as the simple addition of weight (mass) that now needs to be slowed, having bigger/fatter wheels and tyres has a more complex effect as there is more rotating mass/momentum that has to be brought to heel. I have just fitted 31" tyres on 16" wheels with a zero ET. On my 3" RC lift everything clears, but braking is noticeably 'sub-optimal'. I'm upgrading to a disc set-up at the back and a TandR dual-caliper performance set-up at the front (which I can do with the 16" wheels).
Old 03-11-2018, 05:14 PM

Year: 1987
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0L

My 87 xj is fitted with a budget 4.5in front lift and extra leaf 5.5in rear lift running on 31x11.50R15. Never gave me vibrations, except when steering damper got dead I couldn't run my rig over 50 without vibrations. I replaced it and problem solved. Your brake problem would be related to the new tire because you're getting on the 31's now instead the old small tires. Any vehice with small tires have a better brake than the ones modified with bigger tires. I noticed when I lifted my rig, it was equipped with 215/70R15 and went directly to 31x10.50R15 and 3.55 gear ratio, now running on 31x11.50R15 and 4.10 gear ratio.
Check for brake discs possible deformity.