Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1 piece windshield moulding install on older cherokee?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 12:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Rebuilt Renix "Low Output" haha
Default 1 piece windshield moulding install on older cherokee?

89 Cherokee. The metal windshield trim was getting ridiculous ... They were painted twice, one side flew off on the freeway, and the remaining rattle anything above 50mph. Annoying. I finally ripped them off and there is no way I'm putting them back on haha. I recently purchased a 1 piece moulding from the newer Cherokees and from my understanding i should be able to install it? I took it to a glass place just hoping they could glue it in, but they said I was better off replacing the whole windshield because the moulding is supposed to wrap around the glass? With labor, a new windshield, and everything else they are asking $180. I just don't know if it's worth it, just for the moulding ya know? So my question is there any other alternatives? Has anyone else successfully installed the moulding by simply "glueing" it in with some windshield urethane? Should I spend the money and have them do it? Any ideas and advise is very much appreciated!
Old 12-17-2011, 10:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Rebuilt Renix "Low Output" haha

Bump.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

I hate to burst your bubble, but the glass place is correct. The rubber moulding goes on the windshield prior to install. I'm not sure why their trying to gouge you for a new windshield, a good glass guy can remove and replace it without damaging it, its still gonna cost you some dough though. Maybe shop around and see if you can find a shop that can work with your existing windshield.