Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Your Opinions Please

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Your Opinions Please

*Sorry if this isn't in the right place or not allowed - it kind of falls between stock and modified*

I know there's probably no "right" answer to this and there's a lot of variables -I'm just looking for some input and advice... I'm look to build a weekend camping/mild trail rig and occasional daily driver. My options are my current 1997 or my brother's 2001 (both 4 door, 4x4, autos)

I've owned my 97 XJ for a little over a year now. It's been pretty good to me and up until recently its been my work car and so it remained stock. I've since switched jobs and now don't need to use it for work. It's a Country/Limited (one door says Country, and the other says Limited - but from what I understand it has to be a Country) and has 108k miles on the clock (owned since 86k), put in a dual core aluminum radiator and have replaced the water pump, coil, ps pump, and a few other things. Its stock, in fair shape (dents and dings) but no rust, no carpet but the rest is typical 97 interior.

My brother bought his '01 sport a couple years ago and its a CREAM PUFF with only 67k miles on it. Its has a Rubicon Express 4.5 lift, SYE, and 31s. We got it from an older gentleman who bought it from Carmax in 2002 and towed it behind his motorhome.

I know the 01's get a pretty bad rep (0331 head, coil pack, LP axle, etc) but I also know 97s have problems as well. I put the initial buy-in at about the same because I can probably sell mine for what I can buy my brothers for.

To summarize:

97 = higher miles, poorer condition, stock, better axle/head, potential electrical headaches
01 = lower miles, better condition, lifted, less desirable axle/head, and the wife likes it better

So if you were in my shoes, which would you keep/build and why?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Willys55; 08-05-2017 at 04:03 AM.
Old 08-05-2017, 06:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Kentonjl
*Sorry if this isn't in the right place or not allowed - it kind of falls between stock and modified*

I know there's probably no "right" answer to this and there's a lot of variables -I'm just looking for some input and advice... I'm look to build a weekend camping/mild trail rig and occasional daily driver. My options are my current 1997 or my brother's 2001 (both 4 door, 4x4, autos)

I've owned my 97 XJ for a little over a year now. It's been pretty good to me and up until recently its been my work car and so it remained stock. I've since switched jobs and now don't need to use it for work. It's a Country/Limited (one door says Country, and the other says Limited - but from what I understand it has to be a Country) and has 108k miles on the clock (owned since 86k), put in a dual core aluminum radiator and have replaced the water pump, coil, ps pump, and a few other things. Its stock, in fair shape (dents and dings) but no rust, no carpet but the rest is typical 97 interior.

My brother bought his '01 sport a couple years ago and its a CREAM PUFF with only 67k miles on it. Its has a Rubicon Express 4.5 lift, SYE, and 31s. We got it from an older gentleman who bought it from Carmax in 2002 and towed it behind his motorhome.

I know the 01's get a pretty bad rep (0331 head, coil pack, LP axle, etc) but I also know 97s have problems as well. I put the initial buy-in at about the same because I can probably sell mine for what I can buy my brothers for.

To summarize:

97 = higher miles, poorer condition, stock, better axle/head, potential electrical headaches
01 = lower miles, better condition, lifted, less desirable axle/head, and the wife likes it better

So if you were in my shoes, which would you keep/build and why?

Thanks in advance!
The '01. Why? Lower miles, better condition, 4 years newer, a little more power. All the downsides can be dealt with effectively and relatively inexpensively.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L H.O.

No question, I'd rock the 97 all day long. For what you're describing using it for, 4.5" is much more than you need, and has it's own headaches. You said it has a SYE, that's good, but there's a lot more to be done to get a 4.5" lifted XJ right.

Go with the tried and true "classic" XJ mods. The great thing is you're starting with a stocker, so you can really do it right.

3" lift w/ LCAs, shocks, trackbar, etc.
31" A/Ts on 15X8s

Done.

Just my two cents.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:47 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

I would go with the '01 and preemptively swap the head with a Tupy or Clearwater.

The low pinion front axle isn't an issue unless you're doing some serious rock crawling or running big tires, in which case you would want to do some work on the front axle anyway and might as well just swap it for a high pinion axle from a prior year.

The coil rail is not a negative. It's a positive. The waste spark ignition system is the best ignition they ever put on the 4.0L. The computer will keep the thing running when the distributor ignition system would have given up and left you on the side of the road. People only dislike the coil rail because they can't pretend to be diagnosing problems by pulling plug wires off and staring at them.

After the head is replaced, the only negative of the '01 is the exhaust. The extra catalytic converters can be expensive, but at 67K miles they probably still have plenty of life in them. If you have the CA version, you'll also have four O2 sensors instead of two, which doubles the chances of an O2 wiring problem and makes replacement twice as expensive. Still wouldn't be enough of a negative to keep me from choosing the '01.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1998

Originally Posted by extrashaky
I
People only dislike the coil rail because they can't pretend to be diagnosing problems by pulling plug wires off and staring at them.
Lol! That is the gem of the day right there.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999

97 for me. Start your build fresh.
Old 08-05-2017, 04:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l

hmmm personally id go with the 97 as well. Fresh build, dont have to worry about dinging it anymore, already has a few goodies added and the mileage is way low for cherokees. Plus you own it already lol i would put the carpets back in personally for the fact those floors get HOT.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990

Build the 97. The mileage difference to the 01 isn't enough to deal with the headache of selling one and buying the other. You already own, rock it. Besides, it is my understanding that a vehicle pulled by a camper all over the nation basically has miles on the drivetrain above what the odometer says. While it is dragged all over the country, that is putting wear and tear on the drivetrain. Again, that's what I hear, take it for what you paid for it.

Also, why go behind someone else's mods? Start fresh with a blank slate.

BUT... You say the wife likes the 01 better? Maybe worth the headache to get that one and build it. Makes modding easier when the wife likes the vehicle. BTDT.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TwistedWrench
No question, I'd rock the 97 all day long. For what you're describing using it for, 4.5" is much more than you need, and has it's own headaches. You said it has a SYE, that's good, but there's a lot more to be done to get a 4.5" lifted XJ right.

Go with the tried and true "classic" XJ mods. The great thing is you're starting with a stocker, so you can really do it right.

3" lift w/ LCAs, shocks, trackbar, etc.
31" A/Ts on 15X8s

Done.

Just my two cents.
Excuse my ignorance, but what else would I need for a 4.5" lift? Its an RE Superflex (I believe). It seems to cycle well and there's no adverse street manners.

Originally Posted by extrashaky
I would go with the '01 and preemptively swap the head with a Tupy or Clearwater.

The low pinion front axle isn't an issue unless you're doing some serious rock crawling or running big tires, in which case you would want to do some work on the front axle anyway and might as well just swap it for a high pinion axle from a prior year.

The coil rail is not a negative. It's a positive. The waste spark ignition system is the best ignition they ever put on the 4.0L. The computer will keep the thing running when the distributor ignition system would have given up and left you on the side of the road. People only dislike the coil rail because they can't pretend to be diagnosing problems by pulling plug wires off and staring at them.

After the head is replaced, the only negative of the '01 is the exhaust. The extra catalytic converters can be expensive, but at 67K miles they probably still have plenty of life in them. If you have the CA version, you'll also have four O2 sensors instead of two, which doubles the chances of an O2 wiring problem and makes replacement twice as expensive. Still wouldn't be enough of a negative to keep me from choosing the '01.
I should mention that the coil was just replaced (chasing down a CEL), so I'm not super worried about that, but I would want to preemptively swap heads but that's not a deal breaker. And yeah, more O2 sensors and cats definitely suck haha.

Originally Posted by EEVEE
hmmm personally id go with the 97 as well. Fresh build, dont have to worry about dinging it anymore, already has a few goodies added and the mileage is way low for cherokees. Plus you own it already lol i would put the carpets back in personally for the fact those floors get HOT.
If I kept the 97 carpets would be a must... one of the reasons the wife doesn't love riding in it is because the floorboards get so hot.

Originally Posted by bad_idea
Build the 97. The mileage difference to the 01 isn't enough to deal with the headache of selling one and buying the other. You already own, rock it. Besides, it is my understanding that a vehicle pulled by a camper all over the nation basically has miles on the drivetrain above what the odometer says. While it is dragged all over the country, that is putting wear and tear on the drivetrain. Again, that's what I hear, take it for what you paid for it.

Also, why go behind someone else's mods? Start fresh with a blank slate.

BUT... You say the wife likes the 01 better? Maybe worth the headache to get that one and build it. Makes modding easier when the wife likes the vehicle. BTDT.
Yeah, you make a valid point. I'd eventually upgrade the axles, but it's something to keep in mind. And as to why I'd go behind someone else's mods? Yeah, they're older/used, but it's probably similar to the way I'd go anyways. Plus, it'll keep me from going with a long arm straight out of the gate - something I probably don't need but want (I'm a chronic over-builder).

And yes, the wife's approval goes a LOOOOONGGGG way haha