YJ or TJ

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4L HO
Default YJ or TJ

I have a 94 XJ which I love and I'm thinking of adding either of these to my 'fleet'.
After doing a bit of research I've decided that I definitely want one with the 4 I6, so I assume that eliminates 2001 + models
Does anyone have any recommendations on either of the YJ or TJ's? Trim level etc? I'm looking for something basic that I can customize myself.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:49 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998 XJ
Engine: 4.0L

I was talking to a wrangler buddy (i know i know) the other day and he explained a couple things to me about the yj,tj,jk,cj etc. When it comes to the yj and tj. Go with the tj, they designed the yj when jeeps were going from an all time off road vehicle to the road, so it has all the benifits of a car and a short list of benifits for off road. He said it has a lot of week links. Now the wrangler guys started bad mouthing jeep about the product they put out and jeep listened, designing and making the tj. It is very well set up. Now i can't tell you specifics but it came from a pretty credible source. If i am wrong, hopefully someone will correct me in which in return i will correct him.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:22 PM

Year: 89
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by warthog
I was talking to a wrangler buddy (i know i know) the other day and he explained a couple things to me about the yj,tj,jk,cj etc. When it comes to the yj and tj. Go with the tj, they designed the yj when jeeps were going from an all time off road vehicle to the road, so it has all the benifits of a car and a short list of benifits for off road. He said it has a lot of week links. Now the wrangler guys started bad mouthing jeep about the product they put out and jeep listened, designing and making the tj. It is very well set up. Now i can't tell you specifics but it came from a pretty credible source. If i am wrong, hopefully someone will correct me in which in return i will correct him.

Ya thats crap,,, not saying that in a mean way lol

I own a yj a tj an xj and wj, I love my yj, just stay away from the 2.5 with the ax15, (5 speed) fifth gear pops out of the tranny every 15000 miles or so, has leafs all the way around not coils, Suspension upgrades are more durable in my opinion.

I have had numerous yj's as well. There easy to lift, easy to work on and parts are interchangle on alot of cj's yj's and some tj's. hard tops from cj's will fit yj's some seats and door upgrade options are a little better imo too.

I figure if you wanna mess with coils, just keep the xj zj wj handy but for the wrangler style body, leafs are the way to go.

Check out jeepforum.com for some more opinions.

Last edited by semperfi96; 02-24-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:32 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4L HO

Originally Posted by semperfi96
I own a yj a tj an xj and wj, I love my yj, just stay away from the 2.5 with the ax15, (5 speed) fifth gear pops out of the tranny every 15000 miles or so, has leafs all the way around not coils, Suspension upgrades are more durable in my opinion.
Would the 4.0L with 5sp. manual be OK in your opinion?
Old 02-24-2010, 12:39 PM

Year: 89
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by mmastran
Would the 4.0L with 5sp. manual be OK in your opinion?
To correct myself, the ax15 is the tranny that comes with the 4.0 the ax5 is the 4 cyl tranny that sucks.

So you should be good to go
Old 02-24-2010, 12:53 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998 XJ
Engine: 4.0L

Thanks for correcting, i will let him know