XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

XJ body TJ flares

Old 12-08-2010, 01:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default XJ body TJ flares

im not a big fan what do you guys think ... they look a little funny in my opinion
Old 12-08-2010, 05:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996

its an acquired look.

ive seen some guys use TJ rear flares on the front and rear of an XJ. it looks a little better.

I use TJ flares for inspections.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:08 AM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

If they are done well, and it's not a hack job, they look ok. I think there are a lot uglier things done to XJs on a daily basis!! LOL!!
Old 12-08-2010, 11:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I find it kinda funny that you posted a thread on the exact same topic yesterday and got no responses, so you posted it again, just with a different title. I know you're a newbie, but really?

Anyway....if it's a hack job and it's not done patiently they can look like crap. If it's done right though, it can look really good. Here's a good example:
With rear TJ flares all around

Using the front flares can make it look different, and that is an acquired taste, but done right it too can look good.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:38 AM
aka Wade-O

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Comanche

Originally Posted by no rdplz
I find it kinda funny that you posted a thread on the exact same topic yesterday and got no responses, so you posted it again, just with a different title. I know you're a newbie, but really?
this is actually the THIRD thread he has posted with the same topic.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:42 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 89eliminator
Wow, that makes it that much worse.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 91 Limited

Anyway....if it's a hack job and it's not done patiently they can look like crap. If it's done right though, it can look really good. Here's a good example:

Using the front flares can make it look different, and that is an acquired taste, but done right it too can look good.
Im definitely not liking them.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 ltr

Originally Posted by j-rod
its an acquired look.
ive seen some guys use TJ rear flares on the front and rear of an XJ. it looks a little better.
I prefer using all rear TJ flares... just doesn't look right with the front TJ flares on the front of a XJ. To each their own.

Originally Posted by 89eliminator
Old 12-08-2010, 03:21 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998

to each there own. i personally dont like the look of them that much i prefer the look of bushwackers and the flat fenders they came out with myself. i have seen them done one some rigs that look good for example the photo posted above they dont look that bad. i like the look of the rear ones better then the front. but for him to post the same thread 3 times seems to me like hes lookin for a fight.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:01 PM

the first and second post was in question so this one was made then the other 2 were reinstated ... now i know im new to this forum but i am by no means a noob .. nor am i new to jeeps
Old 12-08-2010, 09:10 PM

Year: 1996

Originally Posted by Destination XJ
Im definitely not liking them.
i like them can you do this with aftermarket tj flairs?
Old 12-09-2010, 01:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: l6 4.0, K&N FIPK & 62mm bored TB

Doggone it I'm at work & can't see the pics, neither can I post them. But I have 4 rear TJ flares & I know they look damn good - because I have been told numerous times, because I did them myself & because they're done "right". A little searching under my name will net you some pics until I get home to post some. There are some hack jobs out there for sure, and there's more of those than decent jobs - or maybe it's just that the hack jobs draw a lot of attention. Either way, unless you have 35" & bigger tires, IMO Bushwackers are way too huge & overpowering for an XJ. Front TJ flares usually just look cheap & ghetto (seriously no offence intended to those that have them).

The best looking aftermarket flares for the XJ (saying TJs are not strictly "aftermarket") IMO would be Rusty's Flexy or a new breed just on the market (Napier Precision Products). They look like BW, but are less bulky. The worst look for an XJ to me is flareless, especially with tires sticking out. I dunno, I'm very opinionated ...
Old 12-09-2010, 07:13 PM
CF Veteran

StationWagon, I used a pic of yours to show the one with all rears on it - definitely one of the best jobs of TJ flares I've seen. I'm doing rears and fronts, but I'm taking my time with it. I'll be taking out the OE side marker and doing fiberglass and bondo to fill it in, paint it, then use the marker on the TJ flare so I don't have 2 on each side (which most certainly makes it look ghetto). It'll be a while though as I have to wait for the weather to warm up so the fiberglass and bondo set properly.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:32 PM

this is not what i meant .. i should have specified. what im talking about is the front flares ,ive even seen people use 4 front ones on the xj its just down right ugly
Old 12-10-2010, 09:12 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by oldcolt75
this is not what i meant .. i should have specified. what im talking about is the front flares ,ive even seen people use 4 front ones on the xj its just down right ugly
I would agree that 4 front would be ugly. Going with rear TJ's for the back and front TJ's for the front isn't bad if done right (I'll be doing this once the weather is better), but it is an acquired taste and if done badly it can look like crap.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: XJ body TJ flares