Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

!$@#%!!!!Window fell on the passenger side....

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 liter inline 6 cylinder
Default !$@#%!!!!Window fell on the passenger side....

So... My passanger window has not been "working" since I got the jeep figured I would have to pull the door apart an fix the worm screw... My mom calls last night that she needed to barrow my baby cuz her car is messin up so I said sure an drove it over, dropped it off an she brought me home..
She brings it back to me today with the passenger window droped in the door an just kida shruged an said she dunno how it happened...

So I waited till the sun went down alil bit, an went out, snaged my drill an took the door apart wanna know what was holding the glass up? give ya a guess heres a hint.. their long, slender an white, bout a quarter inch around, an the other is about a foot long with 2 holes on either end an brown...
Give up?

3 peices of PVC Pipe an a block of wood... YEP thats right...

ok no biggie, i spend about 30 min tryin to get them outa there, finally do only to realize theres no worm screw... theres NOTHING to support the window...

My DH comes outside an just starts laughin at me, as I am cussin up a storm an havin to put the PVC an Wood back in to hold the window up untill I can figure something out..

I may just redneck it an get out the ductape an tape the window into the UP position.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:03 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

My windows fall off track all the time, all four of them once they get below 3/4. What a joy that is every time someone hops in for a ride.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:53 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0L

i would stick with the pvc and wood, duct tape holding up a window is like a massive neon sign to robbers that your car is easy to break into
Old 05-22-2011, 04:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 98
Engine: 4.0

My window regulator went out a couple weeks ago an this happened. Atleast I believe it was the regulator after searching thoroughly on here. I fished it out the door pushed it all the way up an took a rubber handle screw driver an jammed it between the window an the weather strip inside. Not very noticeable an works very well.

As far ad being broke into that's not a problem either. Locked my keys in the jeep a few nights ago. Figured that was the first window I would go after. Yea that didn't happen. Spent 4 hours trying to get in it. Finally got the window down just a hair an pulled the screw driver out with some wire. Who would have thought narrow square windows that seat inside the door would be so hard to get into! Lots of sarcasm there. Ill take a pic in the morning of what I did
Old 05-22-2011, 12:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0L

my old xj had electric windows and if you pushed down hard enough on the passenger one you could slowly get it to lower :P but it had the added safety that 50% of the time when you turned the key it wouldnt start lol, never could figure out why it did that
Old 05-23-2011, 12:43 PM

Engine: 4.0 liter inline 6 cylinder

I aint to worried about some one breaking in haha, i just don't want the window to drop an end up shattering then that turns into a whole new mess haha! I am gonna have to find a regulator that wont break my already depleted bank account XD.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0 stock

if the track is still there you can just zip tie the window in the UP position. When the window broke on my sister's XJ that is how I fixed it.