What's my XJ worth?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default What's my XJ worth?

Hey guys. If this is posted in the wrong spot please move it. I am thinking about selling my 99 XJ Sport. It's one of those deals where I really don't want to, but it is not getting driven much, and it is going to just go to waste sitting. I would rather it go to someone who can appreciate it and use it like it was built for. I am going to throw it up on craigslist, but I thought I'd see what you guys think it's worth. I was going to start at $5900. It has somewhere around 125,000 miles (i'll get the exact before I list it.) I bought it with 110,000 and everything listed has been done since then. Thanks for your input guys.

:Powertrain:

62 mm throttle body.
Neon injectors.
New plugs, wires, distributor cap, and rotor.
New power steering pump.
Duralast Gold Group Size 34 dual terminal battery
Full custom exhaust: header, high flow cat, and flowmaster knock off muffler. All piping custom bent and welded.
New thermostat, hoses, and heater hoses. Full coolant system flush.
Trans filter replaced and new fluid cycled through. Did not flush it.
Transfer case fluid replaced.
Oil changed around every 3000 miles with Valvoline MaxLife

:Suspension:

3" lift: Full coils in the front and full leaf pack in the rear.
Adjustable upper and lower control arms.
Adjustable track bar.
Quick-disconnect sway bar links.
Front and rear diff fluid replaced with valvoline synthetic.
New pads and rotors.

:Tires and Wheels:

Steel wheels.
31" Cooper Discoverer STT Mud Terrains.

:Body:

Detours Offroad Backbone winch mount and light bar.
"Ebay special" 9500 lb. winch.
Napier Cut-out flares (not installed).
CB Whip antenna.
New windshield.
Lower quarter of body bedlined as well as bumpers.

:Misc:

Hood lift supports (no more prop rod!)
Cobra CB radio (not wired in, but antenna cable routed)
Power inverter under rear seat (not installed)
Ipod compatible deck with hookup in glovebox.
New rear hatch lift supports.
A couple oil changes worth of Mobil Super oil.

:Negatives:

Headliner sagging
Bedliner could use another coat, starting to fade.
Driver's door lock cylinder loose.
Bubbling paint on roof and on a few areas on the body.

Last edited by syndrome_34; 01-13-2015 at 12:07 AM.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

http://www.kbb.com/whats-my-car-worth/

Private party sale $3200
Old 01-13-2015, 12:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

I agree around the $3000 range. Honestly, I would pay about $2500 for it, and then I would take all of the mods off of it and then start rebuilding it to my own tastes. I hate to be that guy, but I'm going to be honest with you because you're asking us to.

You haven't done much mod-wise to that Jeep that's screaming "it's worth it" to me. Especially since you cheaped out on so many parts with "Ebay specials" and "knock-offs." Name brands say a lot, and the cheap stuff can sometimes be some of the most unreliable junk in the world and can actually negatively impact the value of your Jeep (the Chrysler engineers were not idiots, so don't fix what's not broken).

31s are small and many people want bigger. You haven't done any gearing or locking. And the issues with the Jeep's paint, missing fender flares, and other imperfections are going to affect the value to someone that wants it for a daily driver.

I'm glad you kept up on the fluid changes, that means good to me, but these are all maintenance things that NEED to be done, they don't make the value go up.

When I see this Jeep, I see an interior that looks halfway decent, I see a rear bumper that interests me, and I see some good condition tires. I know I can pick XJs up all day long for $2500-3000, but I don't see small aftermarket mods increasing the value of uni-body Jeeps any time soon.

If you're just looking to put it up to see what you can get for it, I'd start the listing around $4000. My 1999 Limited (one-owner, leather interior, mint condition) was sold to me from a dealer for $5900.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:07 AM

Thanks for the input. I can't say that I completely agree with you. The only thing I cheaped out on was the winch. And that was because spending the money on a Warn or comparable would have been a waste for me seeing as how little I used the winch. If that counts as "so many parts" then I guess I am cheap, lol. All of the other parts are from reputable companies. The lack of fender flares is addressed with the new set of Napier flares that come with it. The high flow cat and muffler were bought from a company in California that many people on this site recommended to me.

I am not sure what is interesting about the rear bumper.

I may need to ask this in some of the midwest threads. For being driven in Minnesota and Illinois, it is very clean as far as rust is concerned. It is hard to find lower mileage XJ's that are not rusted out around me. I have done some browsing on a few used car websites and $2500 won't buy much.

I was thinking the $5900 was high, but I am not in a rush or anything to sell so I would rather start high and work my way down until someone decides to bite and haggle with me. Thanks again for the input.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:17 AM

And don't forget the cherokee forum decal. That adds at least 25 hp and unmeasurable amounts of flex!
Old 01-13-2015, 03:46 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 L

I would say thats a 3000 dollar cherokee maybe 3250-3500 to the right person. Not trying to get off topic here but do you have any interest in selling those fender flares?
Old 01-13-2015, 09:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I paid $1800 for my 99 with a 3" crappy lift but ran good with zero rust or body damage, it did need a headliner.

If someone came to you with close to $3k of dead presidents I would take the money and run. What something is worth is what one person will pay on a single day, pure and simple.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Year: 1991 2-Door
Engine: 4.0 liter
Default Lifted XJ

I will have to agree with these guys. I bought my XJ for $3,500.00. I don't regret the purchase but, I wouldn't have paid a penny more for it. And to add to that I have been modifying it more and more and would not expect to get more than I paid for it if I sold it. I realize when I spend the money on it I won't get to recoup any of it. So the plan is to keep it in the family.

Now if you were selling a unmolested cherry XJ with those low miles you might get more for it. Just my 2-cents
Old 01-13-2015, 02:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

I paid $4k for mine; 6.5" R.E. lift, 35's (with MT/R's all around), Bilstein's up front, shop re-geared to 4.56, swing-away rear bumper with 35" spare included, plus a proper Rhino-Lining on the tub. And the P.O. was a mechanic. You do the math and see if yours justifies $5900.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:54 PM

i've gotta agree. someone could buy a stock xj for 2-3k and with another 3k mod it to their liking, not yours. you'll never get what you put into it. the fact that its low miles and taken care of is nice. your best shot at getting the most out of it is selling it to a kid buying it with mom and dads money for maybe 4k
Old 01-13-2015, 04:25 PM

Maybe I'll just hang on to her.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by STUD IN THE MUD
I would say thats a 3000 dollar cherokee maybe 3250-3500 to the right person. Not trying to get off topic here but do you have any interest in selling those fender flares?
If I sell it I may be interested in selling the flares separate. Depends on what kind of deal I work out with the buyer. If I keep it then I a going to put them on.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: I6 4.0

What company(ies) did you use for the lift? I think the rear "bumper" that is in question is that adjustable hitch, they just look weird to me, unless he meant to say front bumper.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:13 PM

Engine: 4.0 L

Originally Posted by syndrome_34
If I sell it I may be interested in selling the flares separate. Depends on what kind of deal I work out with the buyer. If I keep it then I a going to put them on.
well if you ever want to sell em here is my email. Jbalog77@gmail.com
GLWS
Old 01-13-2015, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by unidentifiedbomb
What company(ies) did you use for the lift? I think the rear "bumper" that is in question is that adjustable hitch, they just look weird to me, unless he meant to say front bumper.
The springs are Rustys and the control arms and track bar are from rough county.

Quick Reply: What's my XJ worth?