Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Whats the first things to do to a stock xj before hitting the trails?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 07:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the first things to do to a stock xj before hitting the trails?

Just wondering any ideas on what I should do before going off road my xj is completely stock with some pretty crapy tires, also when it's out in 4x4 it creeks an pops when I turn the steering wheel?
Old 01-14-2015, 07:39 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: '95
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO

Disconnect the sway bars.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:47 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

Install some not "pretty crapy tires" and check everything in the front end for play to find the popping noise.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:51 AM

I'm getting new tires soon any ideas for some all terrains that are good in mud? An what would I check in the front ? I know some stuff but am still new at this
Old 01-14-2015, 07:55 AM

Also anyone know what's the biggest tires that will fit on stock suspension with minimal rub?
Old 01-14-2015, 07:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

Maintenance
Old 01-14-2015, 08:01 AM

Yea she's lil ways from hitting the trails just not sure what all to do besides checking front end , lift , and tires
Old 01-14-2015, 08:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

DON"T!! Not until you find what is making all the noise it could very well spell trouble.

You need to go over your Jeep top to bottom changing all fluids and filters oil/trans/transfer case/both differentials/coolant drain and flush.

Then lube all the zerks and check for any problems with the front end and drive shafts. Once these are done a complete tune-up should be done plugs/wires/rotor and once all those are done take it out on the road and check it out there for any problems before any 4 wheeling.

Now for off road never go alone and make sure you have recovery straps and points on your XJ to pull from if stuck, very important. Be careful till you get used to your Jeep and what it will do "Safely" never overdrive it in the beginning or till you get hurt.

Good luck and enjoy.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:07 AM

Well I have new plugs and wires and a new pick up coil and oil change besides that nothing and the previous owner I got this from didn't take good care I it , everything was stock before I got it like the cap and rotor is probably from 96 lol the back socks not even attached , one of the rear brake lines is patched, yes I know it's horrible i didn't do it though, so that let's me barley have pressure , but that's the very next thing on my list is to replace the hardline. And the axle fluids have most likely never been checked . I know the front end needs looked at but how would I go about doing that I'm on a budget an I'm trying to avoid the shop for now
Old 01-14-2015, 08:35 AM

Whats the first things to do to a stock xj before hitting the trails?-image-2657315919.jpg

It's from a distance but this I my jeep
Old 01-14-2015, 08:46 AM

Year: 2001

Sounds pretty rough, how much can you afford to pay for a tow? You should fix it up first.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:47 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by 96xjcherokee420
Just wondering any ideas on what I should do before going off road my xj is completely stock with some pretty crapy tires, also when it's out in 4x4 it creeks an pops when I turn the steering wheel?
First off, new tires, which you state you are going to get in the next post...when you say it creaks and pops in 4wd, is this on the pavement, or in the dirt?
I'm getting new tires soon any ideas for some all terrains that are good in mud? An what would I check in the front ? I know some stuff but am still new at this
Goodyear duratracs are considered to be one of the best AT tires available. If you want mud performance, buy mud terrains.
Originally Posted by DenimDean
Maintenance
This, this, a thousand times this. Make sure you are in peak performing condition before you get stranded.
Yea she's lil ways from hitting the trails just not sure what all to do besides checking front end , lift , and tires
I highly suggest you hold off on a lift. Get it in peak operating condition first. Take it out to the trails after you get all that done in stock form. Figure out what you need from there. The XJ is a quite capable rig in stock form. Modifications should be determined by your local terrain and driving style.
Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
DON"T!! Not until you find what is making all the noise it could very well spell trouble.

You need to go over your Jeep top to bottom changing all fluids and filters oil/trans/transfer case/both differentials/coolant drain and flush.

Then lube all the zerks and check for any problems with the front end and drive shafts. Once these are done a complete tune-up should be done plugs/wires/rotor and once all those are done take it out on the road and check it out there for any problems before any 4 wheeling.

Now for off road never go alone and make sure you have recovery straps and points on your XJ to pull from if stuck, very important. Be careful till you get used to your Jeep and what it will do "Safely" never overdrive it in the beginning or till you get hurt.

Good luck and enjoy.
All good advice. Don't go alone, and MAKE SURE you do have some sort of recovery points, when you do make that first trip.

I know you wanna go hog wild, and mod your rig to make it badass...but do it right once, and you won't have to do it again.

My dual coppers
Old 01-14-2015, 09:00 AM

It's runs great and it creaks and pops on both , think some thing may need greased ? An so basically I would need to get my brake line fixed new brakes and tires an some new shocks and some rust fabrication and I should be good?
Old 01-14-2015, 09:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Post photos of these problem areas to get better answers.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Engine: 1999 4.0L

If you can get it on a lift, or to a shop, check all the u-joints and ball joints and wheel hubs, those rust away from neglect and they will break on the trail. Grease what you can. Good tune up and replace all the fluids, because you are going to be standing on the pedal trying to get through mud holes and such, and you don't want the engine bogging out at the wrong time or worse breaking something you would have found in routine tune-up. Plugs, cap, rotor, motor oil and filter, air filter, stick your finger in the diff holes and look at fluid, all that.

First piece of add-on gear needs to be a receiver hitch and a recovery strap (not a tow strap) so you can get pulled out of trouble. Second piece of gear should be front recovery points. After that it is whatever you want to do, skids, gears, lockers, lift, whatever. It gets really expensive fast but the basics are cheap and need to be done first.

Quick Reply: Whats the first things to do to a stock xj before hitting the trails?