Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Whats better XJ with I6 or ZJ with V8

THANKS FOR THE HELP
I need to pull my boat+people+gear and other stuff as well. My XJ seems to have a hard time pulling my boat around and the rear end humms a bit loud when pulling as well, not a deal breaker but I fear its gonna die.
I just spent next to nothing on a ZJ V8 and want to know if I should make my upgrades on it or my XJ I6. I need to sell one or the other

Current stats are as fallows.

XJ I6 Country:
225xxx
1.5" rear lift
part time 4high and low
Chrysler 8.25 axle
29" tires or so (i cant remember the exact size)
I was planning to lift the front do a rear disk swap and and lockers in the rear and maybe the front if i ever got the time.

ZJ V8 LAREDO:
180xxx
Bone stock everything.
4high and 4 low
I would like to lift it if i keep. How high can I go before I have to major mods and such.

Which rig will be easier to complete. And pro's and con's of each would be nice to know.

I want to do offroad, trail, and mudding.
Like I said my XJ seems to not like pulling my boat (16' fiberglass Larson)
Which rig does better on the trails and in the mud.
Which rig pulls on the highway better.
Which rig is more reliable if not both the same.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:52 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

There would be a lot of factors that go into which to keep. I don't know if we can help much without a look over of the two vehicles.
There are YouTube video's of these two Jeeps in a tug of war. The I6 wins. I've heard that the I6 has more torque down low than a V8. However, it seems like you are having problems with the XJ.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I would sell the zj and buy a full size truck or bronco if it was me.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:33 AM

My sister has the zj I got a xj. My xj can pull a decent amount and I've seen some pull really big boats. Plus it's more rugged for the off road compared to the zj..
But your xj does have a lot of miles which could be the reason it runs a little funny when pulling the boat. And the zj v8 is pretty decent for towing.
I love my xj to death and would recommend it to any one an every one. But in your case the zj sounds like the better choice due to engine size and mileage.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:35 AM

But if you want more off road and mudding is go with the xj because like I said they are more rugged then the zj. The zj was built around luxury. And the cherokee is more offload. Hint why it's called country.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:38 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L I6 Power Tech Engine

I would honestly suggest selling one or both and getting a lower mileage xj. Mine is a 98 with 200,000 miles on it. I have the same axles you have now but 3 inches of lift and 31's. The biggest load I have towed was an extended cab ford ranger 4x4 on a double axle flatbed. it did surprisingly well. Only thing is the xj is kinda light so you gotta give a little extra stopping room and make sure you have plenty of tongue weight. But you should have no problem with your boat. I'm assuming yours must be getting tired and that's why its having trouble.

Last edited by muddycherry; 07-17-2013 at 04:45 AM.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by muddycherry
I would honestly suggest selling one or both and getting a lower mileage xj. Mine is a 98 with 200,000 miles on it. I have the same axles you have now but 3 inches of lift and 31's. The biggest load I have towed was an extended cab ford ranger 4x4 on a double axle flatbed. it did surprisingly well. Only thing is the xj is kinda light so you gotta give a little extra stopping room and make sure you have plenty of tongue weight. But you should have no problem with your boat. I'm assuming yours must be getting tired and that's why its having trouble.
Yea that's a good plan. You should look at getting a new xj.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:44 AM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0L

Honestly for towing you need a truck
Old 07-17-2013, 12:02 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L I6 Power Tech Engine

Originally Posted by Luke95
Honestly for towing you need a truck
You don't need a truck to tow a 16' boat.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:40 PM

Year: 1993

Originally Posted by muddycherry
I was kind of thinking about this as well. Funny thing is I had to pull the ZJ home
on my double axle trailer. It was only about 5 miles but it did alright and no whinny from the rear axle no that I think about it. Maybe I should take a scale out there and see how the tong weight on the boat compares to the trailer.

ugg sell them both make money and upgrade I only paid 500$ for the XJ and the ZJ was like 200$.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1997

I like the xjs. I'd sell them both and find a nice, low(er) mileage xj. I think small v8s are a waste. by small I mean sub 6.0 liters.