Old 10-25-2017, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default What upgrades should I do

I have a 2000 XJ 2WD with 3” lift and 31s
I wanna start upgrading the exterior line. Sway bars and bushings. What up
Upgrades are will help the driving and handling of my Jeep. I don’t know a lot about the names and parts. So please be patient with me

Old 10-25-2017, 12:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999

Swap everything out and do a 4wd conversion haha.... No but seriously
Old 10-25-2017, 12:49 PM

Ecua, that's a real nice looking rig you've got there. Nice job on putting it together this far.

Regarding further upgrades, that really depends on what you intend to do with this XJ. It's 2WD, so I assume you're not planning serious offroading right? But based on what you've done so far, it seems you're going for a gnarly lifted XJ look. That's cool, but ... you also want to "improve the driving and handling of the Jeep". Keep in mind, that lift kit and those 31's do exactly the opposite. A lifted Jeep corners worse, rides rougher, and basically handles worse on the highway than a bone-stock Jeep.

So ... assuming you're going after a cool looking pavement princess rather than pavement performance and handling, I'd say you've got the lift and wheels pretty well nailed. Now it's time to gnarly it up a little. Maybe some rugged aftermarket bumpers, some bumper lights and maybe overhead lights, a few custom paint and decal touches, like flat black lowers and hood anti-glare. Maybe some cool interior touches like LED lighting, custom storage and bed carpentry for the back, that sort of thing.

Good luck, and enjoy that sweet looking machine!
Old 10-25-2017, 01:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L6

Handling-wise, I would suggest poly bushings and new endlinks for the front swaybar. I normally would go the swaybar disconnect route on a 4wd, but these will be great on a 2wd. Be sure to grease them well with water-resistant grease.

Frame bushings:
Amazon Amazon

Endlink & bushing (need 2):
Amazon Amazon

Cheaper endlinks & bushings (set of 2):
Amazon Amazon

Do you still have a rear swaybar? You might consider doing the same thing back there.

Last edited by Tbone289; 10-25-2017 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:00 PM

It’s my daily ride. I’m here In north Ga and we have alot of cool camp grounds. Lot of dirt roads. 4wd would have been cool but a great deal for this jeep that had no nothing AC,Windows didn’t go down. Rims and tires crap etc. TBONE thanks for the info. Just wanna upgrade what should be done on this jeep with a lot of miles. Maybe one day paint it. Last on list.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Tbone289
Handling-wise, I would suggest poly bushings and new endlinks for the front swaybar. I normally would go the swaybar disconnect route on a 4wd, but these will be great on a 2wd. Be sure to grease them well with water-resistant grease.

Frame bushings: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Endlink & bushing (need 2): https://www.amazon.com/Moog-K3174-St...rds=Moog+K3174

Cheaper endlinks & bushings (set of 2): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006N94BWU..._t1_B000C57XJY

Do you still have a rear swaybar? You might consider doing the same thing back there.
So I’m gonna order those bushings. Should I get a new sway bar or just do the bushings?
Old 11-14-2017, 08:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L6

Your swaybar should be fine. Wire brush it and put a coat of paint on it while you have it out if you want.