Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What model has LSD for my 01 C8.25, 29 spline XJ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default What model has LSD for my 01 C8.25, 29 spline XJ?

I daily drive my 01 XJ Sport and would really like to have LSD in my C8.25, 29-spline, 3.55 gear rear axle. I do NOT want a ratchet locker in the rear, so no Aussie, Lunchbox, Detriot, etc.. That seems to be a common suggestions. I had one in the back of my TJ and it was way too noisy for daily driving, and on ice and snow the locking was unpredictable.

I'm set on adding the factory LSD or a complete axle swap to a Ford 8.8 with LSD, Disc brakes, and better gearing. In the long run, ie 3 or 4 years from now, I will probably go ahead and swap an 8.8 into it. In the mean time I would love to source a LSD setup for it.

Can anyone help me out what company to look at to buy this or what to look for at the junk yard?
Is there some sort of indication somewhere on the vehicle that indicates LSD, aside from pulling the cover?
Old 12-26-2011, 04:13 PM
AoA

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.2L bored out 4.0L I6

if you get both tires off the ground and spin one, they both will spin in the same direction if they have an LSD, the will spin opposite if it is regular open carrier.
Old 12-26-2011, 04:18 PM

Year: 2001

Originally Posted by AoA
if you get both tires off the ground and spin one, they both will spin in the same direction if they have an LSD, the will spin opposite if it is regular open carrier.
The hard part with that is most of them around here are axle deep in sod. I have no way to lift the rear.
I was hoping there would be a tag in the door jam or under the hood or something.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:45 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97

You can buy the factory ones new from completeoffroad.com or get a Powertrax. They work like a lunchbox but are closer to a LSD and are quiet.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 High Output

Originally Posted by AoA
That is true but I have the stock LSD in my 97 and If I try to spin one wheel it just locks and wont move. I also have an 8.25 29 spline, you can find them under XJ's with the towing and up-country package, although there very rare.

Originally Posted by xjmarc
You can buy the factory ones new from completeoffroad.com or get a Powertrax. They work like a lunchbox but are closer to a LSD and are quiet.
I have a Powertrax No-Slip on my 98. Great locker and saved me a bunch of times on the trail but it still acted like a regular locker (popping, ratcheting ect. ect.) At least for me it did anyways, but you also have to throw in the fact I had a 5-speed so its different then an auto. Also glad I kept it after I sold the jeep but If you want seemless activation and good preformance in light duty off road the stock LSD is the way to go. But if you want true performance but deal with the small quarks that a locker still has I recommend the powertrax No-Slip.