What Headliner Fabric did you use

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default What Headliner Fabric did you use

Not sure if this is the right area, but figured it could fly here.

Just tore out my XJ 2000 headliner.... Looking for suggestions on fabric type that others have used and found to look/hold well with the headliner adhesive. Im thinking of going with a camo print myself but not sure if they glue will show through certain types of fabrics.

Thanks all
Old 09-09-2013, 06:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 99 94
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: I6

Originally Posted by Newbie101
Not sure if this is the right area, but figured it could fly here.

Just tore out my XJ 2000 headliner.... Looking for suggestions on fabric type that others have used and found to look/hold well with the headliner adhesive. Im thinking of going with a camo print myself but not sure if they glue will show through certain types of fabrics.

Thanks all

I recommend redoing the headliner with grey foam backed fabric from Joann's fabric. Be sure to use a coupon otherwise it is expensive. You need 3 yards and that leaves about a foot on each end extra.

I do not recommend getting the black fabric, every dirt spec and hair shows and it looked dirty. Grey is much better.

For glue, I used 2 cans of 3m 88 from Walmart. I redid my headliner for the second time about two years ago and it has not fallen anywhere and that is with Atlanta heat. The first time I redid my headliner I used 3m 90 and it was more expensive and bled through. The 3m 88 will stink for two weeks so get ready for that.

FOLLOW the instructions for letting the glue get tacky or you will regret it. The fabric will fall in spots if you do this wrong.

I divided the board into three sections when I was glueing and smoothing the fabric down.

When you smooth down the fabric DO NOT press down hard. All it takes it a light smooth slide across the fabric and up the side. Don't press hard or you will see indentations where you did, especially on the sides.

Have fun getting the headliner board out out. I recommend having another person to help you with the removal and putting it back in place.

Good luck.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:59 PM

Year: 2000

Thanks for all the info. I took out the headliner and stripped it already. Have to scrub off all the old glue/foam. I will be going to jo anns tomorrow on my lunch break to scope out some fabrics. Plan on getting this finished this coming weekend when i get some free time from work.

My next venture after this will be to swap my injectors. I will post pictures of the process once finished.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:05 PM

Year: 98

I took mine out cleaned off old fabric spray painted the board flat green put the board back in and called it good.