Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What to get?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default What to get?

I don't have a Cherokee yet. I plan on mostly exploring the desert on existing roads. No racing or jumping or rock crawling. However I want to be able to get over some rocks if need be. I hear the 4.0 motor is the way to go. Don't know much else. What do you guys think I should look for?
Old 06-02-2010, 02:30 PM
Registered Users

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Gunsablazin
I don't have a Cherokee yet. I plan on mostly exploring the desert on existing roads. No racing or jumping or rock crawling. However I want to be able to get over some rocks if need be. I hear the 4.0 motor is the way to go. Don't know much else. What do you guys think I should look for?
you already answered you question. look for a low mile 4.0 cherokee.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:07 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

it all depends on what's important to you. i personally don't like the interior of pre 97. it looks too retro. however, people say pre 96 handles lift kit better. i have no problem with my '99.
a big win would be an 87 88 89 90 with a factory tow package, because they have dana 44 axles stock. but as far as i know, not all of them have d44's.
but in this case, you get good axles on a 20+ year old vehicle.
a lot of people will agree that '99 was the best year of cherokee. I 100% agree with that. but i don't have extensive experience with other year models.
if you wanna put a lift kit on it, try to find one that doesn't have a dana 35 rear axle. they are the weakest link of an excellent drivetrain. all ABS models have d35 rear axle stock. i have d35 with 31 inch tires and i've had zero problems. but a whole lot of people I know have broken axle shafts on a d35 while heavy wheeling with larger than stock tires.
Chrysler 8.25 is the next best option to Dana 44. 97+ had 29 spline axle shafts, which are stronger than pre 97 27-spline shafts.
common leaks are valvecover and oil pan. not a big deal at all. a slight wetness on the transfer case and rear differential is acceptable. these are good points to bring up while trying to bargain on the price.
most parts and gaskets are very cheap.
96+ had OBDII. more power. pre 96 is Renix motor, 96+ is PowerTech motor. PowerTech is slight bit easier to troubleshoot.
to me personally, 2000 and 2001 is a NO NO. low pinion front differential. distributorless ignition (more electronics). head cracking issues.
in '99 they redesigned the intake manifold for better flow, and if you find one used, you can put it on any other years.
NP 242 transfer case had a full time 4wd and part time 4wd positions.
NP 231 has only part time 4wd.
people seem to prefer NP 231. i have NP242 and i like being able to put it in 4wd full time on the highway when it's slippery because of rain or snow. you can drive on 4wd full time all the time regardless of terrain or speed.
to sum up, 4.0 is a bulletproof motor, AW4 is a bulletproof transmission, NP 231 and 242 are bulletproof transfer cases, Chrysler 8.25 is a good rear axle for running less than 33" tires, Dana 30 high pinion front axle will hold up to most abuse.
i'm sure somebody will disagree with some of this info. it's always a good idea to get more than one opinion. most of what i've wrote is based on my rig '99 Cherokee classic, Dana 35, NP242, 31's, ABS, new style intake...
Old 06-03-2010, 01:38 PM

Wow! Good info dude. Thanks. Anyone else??
Old 06-03-2010, 02:46 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Tural has it right except I hate computer diagnostics so prefer the pre-91 years because they require no computer hook ups to diagnose. To each his own.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:08 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

Blue has a point. once you get to know your rig, you will know your regular power levels, all of your noises and smells. basically know your rig in and out. after that, even with OBDII, it's a good idea to know how to check your sensors with ohm-meter.
because, sometimes, diagnostic code can put you in the wrong direction. one sensor can set off another one, so you end up spending money on the wrong parts and still have a check engine light.