What to do

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 03:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default What to do

Hey everyone I'm new. So I'll start by describing my jeep(or what's left of it anyway) I am the proud owner of a 96 jeep xj sport 4.0 with an old 3 inch rc lift and 272,000 miles. The jeep is a bit rusty everywhere and I planned on rebuilding it with a 4.5 inch long arm kit, bumpers front and rear, winch, lockers, regear, 29 spline axleshafts for the rear and some monstaliner coating everything inside and out but the more I work on it the more rust I find and I don't mind if it's just floor pans which are all gone but the rockers and rear lower quarters are rusted through as well. I'm just trying to get opinions from other people with jeeps to see what y'all think I should do. I only know a couple of people here in southern indiana with jeeps and they don't really care about them like I do.

P.s. I apologize for my grammar. And the randomness of my topics not sure if this is even in the right section
Old 11-30-2014, 03:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If its that rusty i would look for a new jeep or a shell to swap over all the parts you want to keep.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:37 AM

Yea I've thought about doing that I would really like to find a manual if the price is right and also a 97 or newer with 29 spline and 3.73 gear ratio. But I wanted one that's pretty close to stock because I would like to do most of the work myself
Old 12-01-2014, 01:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Watch craigslist you can catch a nice one for a good price sometimes,Or find one that needs a engine and swap yours in it could work also.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:22 AM

Yea that's what I've been doing while also trying to save money.. my cousin has a 2001 xj that he tried selling to me a while back but I couldn't spend the money since it's been sitting for almost a year with out being started regularly