Sponsored by: DashLynx

What aftermarket Steering

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Default What aftermarket Steering

So I have a '93 cherokee sport on 8" long arms... It still has the stock steering and I really want to replace it for a number of reasons. I have been looking at various kits and can't figure out which one would be best.

Rusty's makes a kit that uses ball joints. CavFab makes a slightly different kit with heim joints.

Is there a benifit to one over the other? the CavFab kit has clearance for the sway bar mounts, where I think with the rusty's kit I will have to loose those.

Also there are kits for over the top or retaining the underneath mounting. Which is better?

thanks in advance
Old 04-04-2017, 10:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

What do you use your jeep for mostly?? Offroad only? Only driven on the road to and from trails? Daily driver?
Old 04-04-2017, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by LACK
What do you use your jeep for mostly?? Offroad only? Only driven on the road to and from trails? Daily driver?
Offroad play toy only. I trailer it all the time. I figured since I have the truck and trailer to haul it why risk being up in the hills and damaging it and not being able to get home
Old 04-04-2017, 10:28 AM
CF Veteran

I'd go with cav fab then. If you arent worried about running a sway bar you can get the non-high clearance version and cut the sway bar mounts off the axle.

Buddy of mine had the rustys kit with the Tie rod ends, it may have been a decent kit for a dual purpose rig or upgraded daily driver, it just wasnt very strong, bent pretty easily getting in to rocks.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

On 8" of lift you should be running over the knuckle (OTK) steering. I would actually recommend going with a high-steer setup at the height but you don't have to.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Jeepin'_Aint_EZ
On 8" of lift you should be running over the knuckle (OTK) steering. I would actually recommend going with a high-steer setup at the height but you don't have to.
any recommendations? I was hoping to not have to modify my knuckles but I guess I might have to.

The CavFab kit could be installed as a OTK I think
Old 04-04-2017, 10:52 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by timbreb
any recommendations? I was hoping to not have to modify my knuckles but I guess I might have to.

The CavFab kit could be installed as a OTK I think
I wouldnt go over the knuckle running single shear. A lot of people do it and for a trail only rig you may be alright, I just dont get the warm fuzzy feeling about running down the highway with a single shear setup.

I didnt catch that youre running that much lift. Over the axle track bar and OTK steering would do you a world of good, but thats bit of an investment.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:55 AM

I wouldnt go over the knuckle running single shear. A lot of people do it and for a trail only rig you may be alright, I just dont get the warm fuzzy feeling about running down the highway with a single shear setup.

I didnt catch that youre running that much lift. Over the axle track bar and OTK steering would do you a world of good, but thats bit of an investment.
This was the one set

http://cavfab.com/CavFab-Jeep-CrossO...JMJ_p_105.html

but yea.. that would put me at a single shear.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:56 AM
CF Veteran

My man LACK, you know we both agree about the single shear setup being a bit sketchy lol.

I honestly think something like the 1-ton y-link kits from serious offroad or JCR would be better for you.

Teraflex makes a high steer kit but it's extremely expensive and utilizes the smaller ends which you'd definitely want to upgrade from.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:06 PM

My man LACK, you know we both agree about the single shear setup being a bit sketchy lol.

I honestly think something like the 1-ton y-link kits from serious offroad or JCR would be better for you.

Teraflex makes a high steer kit but it's extremely expensive and utilizes the smaller ends which you'd definitely want to upgrade from.
Will the 1 tod y link kit clear my stabilizer mount.. or will I be removing that anyway?
Old 04-04-2017, 12:09 PM
CF Veteran

This was the one set

http://cavfab.com/CavFab-Jeep-CrossO...JMJ_p_105.html

but yea.. that would put me at a single shear.
Like I said, for an offroad only rig you'd probably be alright. It would also help out your steering angles going OTK. I have the cav fab set-up and can vouch for its quality.

Indeed we do. Although I know a ton of people do it without any issues.

Im considering going with a WJ knuckle swap on my rig, in the meantime ill be running an UTK tie rod, the heims still give some extra clearance over tie rod ends.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:13 PM

Will the 1 ton y link kit clear my stabilizer mount.. or will I be removing that anyway?
I was just looking at the kit from serious offroad.. it calls for the removal of the stock trackbar mount but when I look at the new one that is a weld on it states that it can't work with an older dana 30 with the vacuum... Mine has been converted to a solid axle on that side but will I still have interference with the new bracket.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:15 PM
CF Veteran

Will the 1 tod y link kit clear my stabilizer mount.. or will I be removing that anyway?
You'd probably be cutting everything off that's in the way which would be stabilizer mount and sway bar mounts. Probably grind the spring perches a little too. I'm in the middle of doing all this right now actually.

Like I said, for an offroad only rig you'd probably be alright. It would also help out your steering angles going OTK. I have the cav fab set-up and can vouch for its quality.

Indeed we do. Although I know a ton of people do it without any issues.

Im considering going with a WJ knuckle swap on my rig, in the meantime ill be running an UTK tie rod, the heims still give some extra clearance over tie rod ends.
Tons of people do run it single shear but doesn't mean I'm going to lol. If mine was a dedicated trail rig, maybe. But who wants to break their steering on the trail.... I'd feel much more comfortable capturing the top of that bolt.

The WJ knuckle swap is always one way to go as well
Old 04-04-2017, 12:20 PM
CF Veteran

You'd probably be cutting everything off that's in the way which would be stabilizer mount and sway bar mounts. Probably grind the spring perches a little too. I'm in the middle of doing all this right now actually.

Tons of people do run it single shear but doesn't mean I'm going to lol. If mine was a dedicated trail rig, maybe. But who wants to break their steering on the trail.... I'd feel much more comfortable capturing the top of that bolt.

The WJ knuckle swap is always one way to go as well
This is another route ive been considering. Of course i'd make the bracket myself. This is a kit is from BLee.

Old 04-04-2017, 12:30 PM

I'd go with cav fab then. If you arent worried about running a sway bar you can get the non-high clearance version and cut the sway bar mounts off the axle.

Buddy of mine had the rustys kit with the Tie rod ends, it may have been a decent kit for a dual purpose rig or upgraded daily driver, it just wasnt very strong, bent pretty easily getting in to rocks.
I was looking at the difference between the two. I have the sway bar. it has quick disconnects and I don't think I will ever use it. Actually been thinking about completely removing it. I don't ever really plan on using this as a driver. It will always be offroad.

I was only looking at the CavFab unit because of the lower cost. I guess I have to decide if I really want my sway bar.

I can always carry an extra bolt in my tools in case I shear that one side... Wouldn't be the worst trail fix in the world.