Water Containers

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Smile Water Containers

Hey guys im new to the Cherokee Forums and recently purchased my 1st xj (1992). Im in the middle of applying all my accessories and ran into a small situation and would like yalls advice. So here it is, i can not find a place to mount my water containers that i bought from the local army surplus store. Where do yall think the best place to mount them is? i have a full machine shop to my use, so fabricating parts and brackets is not an issue. Please include pic if possible.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 480 Likes on 412 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Here is some to get you started.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/jeep-part...t=245&plID=684
Old 07-21-2009, 03:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

I am assuming these are Scepter MWC's since you mentioned a surplus outlet. Plastic with 20L on the side like this?

Considering these are water and not fuel you do have the option to carry inside the Jeep. How many are you looking to carry? Do you have an existing rear spare carrier or roof rack perhaps?

Quickest and easiest option i can think of is mounting them in GI Gerry can fuel holders bolted through the floor behind the rear seat or along one side in cargo area.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:49 AM

Yes, they are mwc's, im in the middle of building a custom roof rack outt of aluminium tubing, which i planned to mount my spare tire to, i was just worried that if i put them on top it would make the jeep too tall, and limit me to the things i could go under. I can not mount them behind the seats because i have a very large locking toolbox mounted behid the seats. i wass considering mounting them to the fenders, any good?
Old 07-22-2009, 09:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 480 Likes on 412 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Nix the fenders. I have had plenty of CJs with fender mounted cans and they eventually just tear the fenders. I would look into building yourself a swing away rear tire carrier and rack if you can. Those cans will fit in any GI gas can rack.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by thepunisher_cj5
Yes, they are mwc's, im in the middle of building a custom roof rack outt of aluminium tubing, which i planned to mount my spare tire to, i was just worried that if i put them on top it would make the jeep too tall, and limit me to the things i could go under. I can not mount them behind the seats because i have a very large locking toolbox mounted behid the seats. i wass considering mounting them to the fenders, any good?

Interesting idea mounting to the fenders, with some fab work you could make a carrier secured to the inner fender. I personally wouldnt want to make the rig any wider.

Lots of guys lay them flat on the roofrack, no need to stand them up as MWC's shouldnt leak a drop.

I'll share my plan with you since you mentioned spare up top.. which is where mine just went back to. If you take your MWC and lay it againt the hatch you'll notice that you can easily fit 3 of them between the taillights on a swingaway, this is where i'll be mounting my fuel cans (water cans on trailer). Just make a swingaway like a tire carrier with a way to secure the can. Again the old GI style or fab a type of basket up. I dont have a design to share yet as i still need to teach myself some CAD/design software usage.

There is a guy on NAXJA www.naxja.org that has a few cans on the rear who gave me the idea, i'll give him his due. If you search for posts by Handlebars you'll see Alex's pics and his design. Sweet setup.

Lets see some pics of where the rig is now...
Old 07-22-2009, 09:30 PM

this is what it looks like now... i recently added fog lights and roof rack is being fabricated right now, im just waiting on the arrival of the mounting brackets, should arrive monday but i will try to get pics of it unmounted.