Want to buy an XJ... what to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 03:41 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Want to buy an XJ... what to look for?

Hi all, new member here. I have never owned a Jeep but have always admired them and lately I have been thinking I'd like to buy an XJ sometime this year. I have been doing a lot of reading on the site and there is a ton of great info here, although what I need to know is a lot more basic. I hope I'm not asking something that gets asked all the time, so apologies in advance if I am.

As a newbie to Jeeps, what do I need to know before shopping for a Cherokee? All I know is that I want a 4 door model with the 4.0L, and I think I want to spend maybe $2500-3000 so I'd be looking at older models, like late 80's to early '90's. Can I get a good running, reliable XJ for that kind of money? I'm mainly concerned with buying something that is mechanically sound, I want to use it as a daily driver to keep the miles off my other car, as well as camping trips and some light 4 wheeling. I'd want to put a small lift and 31's on it, but other than that I don't plan to go crazy modding it, at least for now. I can do all the work on it myself, but I mainly want something I can just drive every day without putting a ton of time and money into to keep it running (I already have a Mustang to do that with, lol).

Are there certain years that are better than others, or certain years to avoid? What transmissions, t-cases and axles came in XJ's? I don't plan to do any real extreme wheeling any time soon, but I figure I might as well start off with the better hardware if there are different options. How are the automatic transmissions that came in these? Right now I think I'd prefer an automatic unless the 5 speeds are a lot more reliable.

Anything else I should know? Again I hope this doesn't get asked all the time, I didn't see an XJ FAQ for newbies or anything like that but if one exists feel free to point me towards it...
Old 10-02-2009, 05:22 PM

XJ's came with dana 30'd front and some came with the crystler 8.25. thats what i would look for and get the 231 transfercase. I dont know about the trans. Also if you get an older xj look for a dana 44. But i would get one after 92 so you dont get the renix engine (which has less power). Check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Cherokee_(XJ)
Old 10-02-2009, 05:24 PM

and for about 2500 you should be able to get an early 90's cherokee
Old 12-18-2009, 12:17 PM

Hey there Cherokee fans!

I'm a brand new non-Jeep-having member. I just did my intro: https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f8/non...28/#post362873
and hope to possibly stay here as an extended member and not just some "lurker" as my intro does suggest...

So, sorry to revive a semi-old thread... but hopefully by posting here, I reduce the amount of "I want to buy a cherokee" new threads. I belong to a few forums and know "repeated" threads can get on some nerves

Anyhow, I am currently checking this 1988 Cherokee Chief out:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/1513160932.html

and I would REALLY REALLY appreciate it if the great sages of cherokee of CF can give me their thoughts? Not so much a "yes! buy it!" or "blegh! don't touch it!" answer, but more like a "well, the 88's eat gas like no other" or "those things are armored tanks and nothing can destroy it!".

I really really prefer a 5spd/standard transmission way over the autotragic ('tragically' stereotyped from my Nissan Maxima). i hear the 5spd is better anyhow for hauling or controling incline climbs and such, whereas a A/T will last only so long under such loads.

And, BTW, I've been searching for a little over a week, and this was the ONLY 5spd 4x4 (oh yeah, I' prefer 4x4 too for some minorminorminor off-roading and occasional snow travel) I could find within a 300mi radius of "Sacramento, CA" area.

Anyhow, I'd appreciate anybody's and everybody's opinion! Even if it's to get a different model/year!

Thanks!

*edit*
oh and yes... my budget is just a tad lower than the OP's budget of about $2500 max.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0L

Hey no problem as far as reviving the thread goes, hopefully we can both learn some valuable advice...

That Cherokee looks really clean from what I can tell, and the price seems reasonable. From my research if it is indeed a factory tow package it should have the Dana 44 rear. If it's still for sale I'd say it's definately worth looking into further.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:40 AM

I'm going to help keep this thread going because I am in the same boat as the other 2 posters on here. I just totaled my Volvo and have admired the Cherokee for years. With my insurance check coming soon, I'm looking to finally get an older Cherokee. I have all the same questions listed above so I know what to be aware of when shopping for a used Cherokee.

I was also wondering, how long can you expect a cherokee to last, in miles on the odometer that is? If I find one that is over 150,000 on the original motor should I be concerned?

Last edited by Nudnik; 12-28-2009 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:29 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

Zeppfan3 is right, but let me clarify,
All xjs came with the Dana 30 front, 95 and older came with Dana 35 Rears, and 96 came with 8.25, either 27 or 29 spline, and 97 and newer came with 8.25 with 29 spline.

If you live on the coast, you wanna look for under carrage rust, and when I say coast i mean within 5 hour drive, its quite common even from that distance. And I dont mean just look, but touch too, for example the spot between the gas tank and the transfercase sometimes you cant see the rust but if you push it with your finger you can feel it cave in a little if its there. A little rust is acceptable but not too much.

Ask the owner alot of questions, what is there comute like? maintence schedules? what did they use it for?

Commute: High way driving is preferable, the engine isnt bouncing around on the rpms, its stable and not alot of front end, brake, or internal damage occurs.

Surprisingly in-town commutes are harder on the engine, and usually go through brakes faster, and you notice those people have alot of re-occuring front end damage, I.E. curbs, pot holes, etc.

Ask about the 4wd you will be surprised at how many people own it but never use it.

Look underneath at the frame, front diff cover and transfercase/ cross member, see if there is any scrap marks, that means they wheel it, and you can catch them in a lie with that, most people dont like to reveal that they go wheeling.

Older xjs are known for exhaust rust, you cant get around that, so if everything else looks good and the exhaust doesnt, then dont worry, just replace that and be good. look for leaks, have the owner run it and test drive it, after the test drive, then look for leaks because they may have just cleaned the under carrage just to sell it.

Dont be disscouraged if its the gear box or powersteering pump, (I have replaced them in both xj's and my mj that I have owned) those are common for going up in all jeeps so you will either replace it when you buy it or further down the road. other than that I think there will be people that will add they're 2 cents that I forgot, but good luck!

Last edited by gearheadette; 12-29-2009 at 10:47 AM.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:31 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Nudnik
If I find one that is over 150,000 on the original motor should I be concerned?
lol nope, still a baby, I have 230K on mine, they have been known to last up to 300K I knew a guy that took care of his all the way to 400K so no biggie
Old 12-28-2009, 12:11 PM

good stuff gearheadette! Thanks alot. Are there any known electrical issues I should be on the look out for? Any known signs or indications that a major problem is on the horizon?
Old 12-28-2009, 06:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

look for a no rust, garage kept, granny owned cherokee. then turn it into a mud ripping, rock crushing beast of a jeep
Old 12-29-2009, 10:47 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Nudnik
good stuff gearheadette! Thanks alot. Are there any known electrical issues I should be on the look out for? Any known signs or indications that a major problem is on the horizon?
electrical is only an issue if it is almost never driven, and sits alot, thats when mice/rats/squirrels make nests/ chew wires I have seen this alot out west