Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

VM 2.5 worries?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default VM 2.5 worries?

I'm still on the lookout for a decent XJ, and the 4.0 is not only rare as a manual, but i'm concerned that i won't be able to keep up with gas expenses working a part time job. This is the reason a 2.5TD seems quite attractive to me. The only thing that worries me is the heads possibly cracking after the near 180000 miles some of them have done. Torque sounds awesome, and i'm not concerned with them being slow, as i live in a narrow valley with low speed limits.
They tick all the right boxes, except the potential motor issues. I've heard lots of good input regarding the Italian Stallion, but some seem to be unable to consider anything but the mighty 4.0. Any input? Should i just forget about the 2.5 all together? New heads are a tad expensive, allthough i suppose this might be a good reason to barter a bit.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by frozenskipper
I'm still on the lookout for a decent XJ, and the 4.0 is not only rare as a manual, but i'm concerned that i won't be able to keep up with gas expenses working a part time job. This is the reason a 2.5TD seems quite attractive to me. The only thing that worries me is the heads possibly cracking after the near 180000 miles some of them have done. Torque sounds awesome, and i'm not concerned with them being slow, as i live in a narrow valley with low speed limits.
They tick all the right boxes, except the potential motor issues. I've heard lots of good input regarding the Italian Stallion, but some seem to be unable to consider anything but the mighty 4.0. Any input? Should i just forget about the 2.5 all together? New heads are a tad expensive, allthough i suppose this might be a good reason to barter a bit.
The turbo diesel is pretty much unheard of on this site, but I think one of the admins (maybe I'm thinking of comancheclub) has a TD.

http://comancheclub.com/topic/31030-...esel-comanche/

There. May wanna ask him what he thinks.

Actually, he has the 2.1. Nevermind.

Part of the reason people won't "consider anything but the mighty 4.0" might be because this site is a majority American and as far as I know, the 2.5 wasn't available in the U.S. and the 2.1 was really really rare.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:23 PM

Right. I sometimes forget that i'm in a different market than most Jeep buyers. Well the 2.1 is pretty much not even an option for me. 85hp and 132lbft just won't cut it for me.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:15 AM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

You wouldn't want the 2.1 anyway lol

I'm not sure what the 2.5's problem stems from, whether it can't take the boost or if it's heat related.

Lol @ "Itallian Stallion"

EDIT: try this site instead http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...play.php?f=123

Last edited by salad; 10-03-2013 at 10:21 AM.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by salad
You wouldn't want the 2.1 anyway lol

I'm not sure what the 2.5's problem stems from, whether it can't take the boost or if it's heat related.

Lol @ "Itallian Stallion"
I've heard some people say it's related to temperature, and that idling to warm it up before driving, and to cool down before turning it off will prohibit this issue.
I guess they might just need a little extra care..
Old 10-03-2013, 01:15 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

That site I posted has an interesting sticky that makes a few observations about letting the oil warm up completely before putting it under load. Seems like it'd be reliable if you babied it
Old 10-03-2013, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by salad
That site I posted has an interesting sticky that makes a few observations about letting the oil warm up completely before putting it under load. Seems like it'd be reliable if you babied it
there's a load of good information there! Thanks a bunch man!
Seems some of these guys have a bit of a fetish for motor oil though :s