Transmission Tunnel Overheat

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Transmission Tunnel Overheat

I recently took a trip with my gf down to see her parents (about an hour and a half drive) and about halfway through, where the e-brake handle is right above the transmission tunnel on 91 XJ got really hot. I pulled over and tried to let it cool down but had to push through anyway. The temperature on the jeep didn't rise anything above 210 (electric fan wired to a switch) but the rest of the way there and almost the entire way back, the transmission tunnel was unbearably hot. This has happened in the past when I make a long ish trip but this is the longest trip and I really noticed it. Anybody have anything like this happen? Thanks guys!
Old 07-11-2018, 09:40 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 5.2

Originally Posted by Logan Smith
I recently took a trip with my gf down to see her parents (about an hour and a half drive) and about halfway through, where the e-brake handle is right above the transmission tunnel on 91 XJ got really hot. I pulled over and tried to let it cool down but had to push through anyway. The temperature on the jeep didn't rise anything above 210 (electric fan wired to a switch) but the rest of the way there and almost the entire way back, the transmission tunnel was unbearably hot. This has happened in the past when I make a long ish trip but this is the longest trip and I really noticed it. Anybody have anything like this happen? Thanks guys!
Checked your fluid or changed it recently?
Old 07-11-2018, 09:54 AM

If you're talking about the coolant, then yes because I've changed the radiator, water pump, thermostat housing unit (took thermo out for the summer) fan clutch, and wired my electric fan to a switch. Each one was a pain in the *** because of the clean up!
Old 07-11-2018, 10:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0

If you're talking about the coolant, then yes because I've changed the radiator, water pump, thermostat housing unit (took thermo out for the summer) fan clutch, and wired my electric fan to a switch. Each one was a pain in the *** because of the clean up!
You know there is fluid in the transmission that needs to be maintained and changed right? No fluid or bad fluid equals no bueno
Old 07-11-2018, 11:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

Check transfer case fluid also.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

Crawl underneath when it does it and make sure the cat isnt glowing cherry red. The floorpan can get quite toasty when/if they go nuclear.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

I was going to say, if it is abnormally hot (I could probably cook eggs on my XJ trans tunnel when I am stuck in traffic in 100*F heat), it could be your engine running lean. It would cause the EGT (exhaust gas temperature) to rise and heat the floor up.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:33 PM

So I checked the trans fluid and it’s good maybe about a quart low...could it really make THAT much of a difference? Also it’s like when I’m driving down the highway.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97

This is common out here in the desert. Hot out with A/C on during long extended runs. And I mean just shy of lighting the carpet on fire fry an egg on it kind of hot.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

So I checked the trans fluid and it’s good maybe about a quart low...could it really make THAT much of a difference? Also it’s like when I’m driving down the highway.
Top it off if its low and see if things change.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:10 AM

So I topped it off and it’s still happening...I said something a while back about something a long the lines of a heat shield? Does anyone know if the xjs should have one or if anyone has had my problem and done one? Thanks guys sorry for the late reply
Old 07-20-2018, 09:18 AM
CF Veteran

Do you think it is possible someone may have had the carpet out of that and maybe removed the insulation under there for some reason? That would do it...
Old 07-20-2018, 09:21 AM

Hopefully not haha but I do have some rust I want to take care of under there so it might be a good thing to look
Old 07-20-2018, 09:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 297 Likes on 252 Posts
Year: '96

What's the condition of your radiator? Could be the trans cooler side of it isn't doing it's job.

I stripped out my interior last summer. Up front there was a foil covered insulator maybe 18" square under the carpet. Thing is I didn't remember to reinstall it. Hasn't seemed to make a bit of difference. While the carpet was out I had to use a couple throw rugs and rubber floor mats to keep the heat under control but all in all I don't believe I'm getting the amount of heat you are.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:33 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by EZEARL
What's the condition of your radiator? Could be the trans cooler side of it isn't doing it's job.

I stripped out my interior last summer. Up front there was a foil covered insulator maybe 18" square under the carpet. Thing is I didn't remember to reinstall it. Hasn't seemed to make a bit of difference. While the carpet was out I had to use a couple throw rugs and rubber floor mats to keep the heat under control but all in all I don't believe I'm getting the amount of heat you are.
Hope you are doing well Earl! I think the key in this is that the problem seems to arise during sustained long runs. Back when I was a kid out here in the desert it took me awhile to understand that when someone stopped and took a break to "let their car cool down" they were not talking about just the engine and running gear. It was the whole car floor and all! lol

Quick Reply: Transmission Tunnel Overheat