Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tires/Wheels that look close to this? New XJ

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Tires/Wheels that look close to this? New XJ

Hello all, I just bought a 98 XJ with low miles and want t put some new tires on it. The old ones are about due and I want to size up. I am set on 235-75-15 (I have a 1 inch lift Upcountry). I love the look of the Wheel/Tire combo that this guy is set up with. Mine wont be as big without more lift obviously, but I think I can get a similar vibe. I've been looking for a cheap version of the wheels pictured and would like to know more if anyone has input. I think the stock wheels on my XJ are 15x7s, correct? So I need to get the same size for this (Pacer?) style wheel.

As for the tires, I'd like to pay under $100 (or less) for a solid all terrain tire that has the aggressive look but drives well on the road. Hopefully new tires fix the loud deep hum that starts around 65 mph. Thanks in advance fellas.

Here is what I'm after, minus all the lift/hugeness. My XJ is in the middle:
Attached Thumbnails Tires/Wheels that look close to this? New XJ-jeep-model.jpg   Tires/Wheels that look close to this? New XJ-jeep-2.jpg  
Attached Images  

Last edited by Mechanically Declined; 03-02-2017 at 04:43 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Up your tire budget just a bit and you'll get a good tire. All the top all terrains in that size will hover around $120 and you'll be happy with your choice.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.6 I6

Originally Posted by Martlor13
Up your tire budget just a bit and you'll get a good tire. All the top all terrains in that size will hover around $120 and you'll be happy with your choice.
I have to second this. Check out tirecrazy.com I my set of Kuhmos Road Venture at51s shipped to my door for $360 due to a rebate and free shipping month from tire crazy.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

Good AT's cost $$

Duratracs are probably the best "looking" AT in my opinion, but a bit pricey. Those wheels look like American Racing but hard to tell. Any 5x4.5 Wheels should fit (15" or larger)
Old 03-02-2017, 07:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Those are likely mickey thompson classic locks

Old 03-02-2017, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by LACK
Those are likely mickey thompson classic locks

Any idea what a less expensive version of those would be? They are almost too nice!
Old 03-02-2017, 10:43 PM

Anyone ever try Westlake tires? Seem to make some good looking A/Ts for about $100 a pop.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:57 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Mechanically Declined
Anyone ever try Westlake tires? Seem to make some good looking A/Ts for about $100 a pop.
Here's the thing....do you care about offroad performance? Or just looks? Because personally I don't think all terrains look aggressive at all like you're wanting. If your jeep is a street queen, honestly get whatever tire you find that you like. Most tires in that size ride perfectly fine. Unless you need something snowflake rated, just pick a tire. I sell tires for a living at the moment haha...I definitely have a grasp on the tiers of tires because I get feedback from customers anytime they come in. However, if you care about performance at all, I definitely think you need to up your budget a smidge.

oh by the way, you can get a more reputable tire then westlake for the same price.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Martlor13
Here's the thing....do you care about offroad performance? Or just looks? Because personally I don't think all terrains look aggressive at all like you're wanting. If your jeep is a street queen, honestly get whatever tire you find that you like. Most tires in that size ride perfectly fine. Unless you need something snowflake rated, just pick a tire. I sell tires for a living at the moment haha...I definitely have a grasp on the tiers of tires because I get feedback from customers anytime they come in. However, if you care about performance at all, I definitely think you need to up your budget a smidge.

oh by the way, you can get a more reputable tire then westlake for the same price.
The truth is, I will do almost all my driving on road and gravel. I don't need mud tires. But I like the look of aggressive tires. So if it's possible to have a tire that is noticeably aggressive/big tread and great on the road more than off road, that's what I want. Beyond that, I'd like to find some really good value. Duratracs look like the ticket but are past my price range.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:51 PM
CF Veteran

The truth is, I will do almost all my driving on road and gravel. I don't need mud tires. But I like the look of aggressive tires. So if it's possible to have a tire that is noticeably aggressive/big tread and great on the road more than off road, that's what I want. Beyond that, I'd like to find some really good value. Duratracs look like the ticket but are past my price range.
ok I see. But the thing is all terrains don't have big lugs. You like the look of the ones you have pictured above, but there's nothing aggressive about the tires haha. I believe they are general grabbers and their lugs are a little bigger then most A/t so that may be whayv you want. But they are more then $100 each because they are a good tire. And you like the look of the duratracs because they are considered are hybrid all thehe durayracserrain and mud tire. To me they are more all terrain butires good year says they are really hybrids. So like I said earlier, just pick a tire in your price range that has that "aggressive" look for you. Any tire will do fine on gravel unless it's Chinese crap and the rocks eat at them fast hahah...look into iron man all terrains. Budget minded and have some decent reviews from customers.
Old 03-03-2017, 01:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000

not the exact rim you pictured but it resembles them some.. you would have to check the backspace though. quite a few like this on ebay..

set of 4.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/SET-OF-4-NEW...3D361545564844
Old 03-03-2017, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by abodyjoe
not the exact rim you pictured but it resembles them some.. you would have to check the backspace though. quite a few like this on ebay..

set of 4.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/SET-OF-4-NEW...3D361545564844
Those look solid. I would have to go a size up in tires, right? 15x8 instead? Would that decrease clearance from the fender? Also, has anyone heard anything about Pacer wheels? I am seeing some good deals on a few. Looking for experience with tires that have some knobbiness too. Helpful stuff so far.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:54 AM
CF Veteran

Those look solid. I would have to go a size up in tires, right? 15x8 instead? Would that decrease clearance from the fender? Also, has anyone heard anything about Pacer wheels? I am seeing some good deals on a few. Looking for experience with tires that have some knobbiness too. Helpful stuff so far.
You can get some cheaper mud tires that ride good as well.

and no you don't need bigger tires
Old 03-03-2017, 09:43 AM

235-75-15... Are these 29 inch tires? I should be able to fit 29s just fine.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

That would be roughly 29", yes.

https://tiresize.com/height-calculator/