Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Thoughts on RV Toad and Winter Runabout?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Thoughts on RV Toad and Winter Runabout?

Hi.
New to your forum, which is awesome by the way, but rather familiar with Jeeps. My first was a 1972 Jeepster Commando I had in high school. (1982) I've had a CJ-7, 2001 Grand Cherokee, and several Wranglers of various year, and one late 80's XJ in the past.

I'm thinking of picking up an XJ. The Jeeps mission would be dual purpose. First, it would be flat towed behind my motor home and used as a runabout while camping/national park visiting.

The second use would be as a winter DD, here on the front range of Colorado.

Based on my prior experience and the wealth of knowledge I have gained reading this forum, I'm thinking of a 1998-1999 Model, Manual tans. However, might do the Auto if I can find one with Selec-Trac transfer case.

I live at 7,500' and we get a lot of snow, so kitting it out for being great in the snow, light trail use and flat-towing is the priority.

Fortunately, here in Colorado, XJs are plentiful and affordable.

I'd like suggestions on how to best prep the XJ for the missions it will serve, and particular things I should look for in a pre-purchase inspection, as I am not nearly as familiar with XJs as I am Wranglers.

Thanks in advance, and again,..great forum here.

JP

Last edited by jpeters421; 09-13-2017 at 05:21 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

The TJ and YJ Wranglers are very similar to XJs since they share the same drivetrains. '97+ XJs and TJs are even more so similar. The major difference is obviously full frame versus the "Uni-frame" on XJs.

Any of the 4x4 XJs make terrific toads regardless of manual or automatic transmission. You tow them just like a TJ by putting the transfer case in neutral.

The biggest things to look out for on XJs are abuse and underbody rust. Check the floorboards and cargo area carefully as well as the uni-frame.

I'm a big fan of Blue Ox towing products, and it's all out there for the XJ. In my opinion, XJs are terrific toads. Be aware that lifting them can cause issues though, and in my opinion if you plan on towing it you may want to stay pretty conservative in that area.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:54 AM

Thanks, Robert.
Flat Towing behind a motor home is new to me. It's a 25' class C, Ford V-10. It has a 10K pound tow rating and a crazy high useful load as it is the same chassis used in the big class C's. I'd have to check, but it is huge. Since I'll be crossing the Rockies regularly, I'm going with a braking system regardless of the law. Need to check, but I think they might be mandatory in CO anyway.
Blue Ox products seem to be the gold standard,...which is also reflected in the price. Maybe I can find a used set up, but think I agree on their products being very good.
Concerning the transmission, I know I would prefer the manual. However, the NP242 transfer case might be better for driving in the snow/rain here. There seems to be some good reasons not to pair the two, based on my research. I guess I could always throw one in a manual and see how it goes.
I'm not doing any kind of high lift, but might bring it up to where the factory "high country" was, or whatever they called it at the time. It needs to remain a good highway cruiser and toad, and the hitch on my rig is pretty low.
There are plenty of XJs here in Colorado and surprisingly they appear to have little rust. I grew up in PA, and my Commando was the mother of all rust buckets. I'lll be sure to check the areas you mention closely. I need to find a good shop here locally, too, has my heavy wrenching days are probably over.
Thanks again.
JP
Old 09-14-2017, 12:57 PM
CF Veteran

Brakes are a good thing to have, but on short trips I don't mess with it. I use a setup like this:

http://www.brakebuddy.com/Products/B...igital-Classic

You can't go wrong with either the NP231 or the NP242. The NP242 is a tad more useful to be sure.

The "high country" lift would be perfect. I would think even up to 3" with a quality package would be fine as well for towing.

I don't think Colorado uses a lot of salt on their roads but correct me if I'm wrong. My XJ had rusty floors, but they were well within the range of a DYI pan replacement. I got it cheap since it was rusty, and and the guy didn't want to pay someone else to do it. I wouldn't have either, but it was a good excuse to break out the welder for me. It's also a second vehicle for me, so it sits during the spring, summer and fall anyway and gave me plenty of time to do the repairs. I'm painting it this "off season".
Old 09-14-2017, 02:03 PM

A short trip from where I live involves a 2000' elevation change, so I think I'll be messing with it all the time. Your braking system looks great, will give that serious consideration.

I'm leaning to the NP242, as much as I hate automatics, as I think it best fits the missions it will serve. They're usually in the Limited models, too, with leather interior, etc.

Not to roll a hand grenade with a loose pin out there, but what is your definition of a "quality package" 2.5-3" lift kit? There seems to be strong opinions in this area. My goal is not to build a rock crawler or mudder, remember. Snow beast/runabout/highway cruiser is the goal.

Colorado uses from chem mix, not straight rock salt. I think it helps.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:04 AM
CF Veteran

From what I've read Rusty's has one of the best 3" lifts out there:

http://www.rustysoffroad.com/rustys-...-pack-kit.html

I hope others that have lifted their XJ come in and offer their advice though, since I'm stock.