which of these 2 XJs should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 02:54 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: Straight 6
Question which of these 2 XJs should I buy?

My first post here... I'm excited to join the ranks of Cherokee owners, always thought they were cool as hell but I'm a speed freak so I've always owned cars only. I'm not a fan of "wheelin'" and don't intend to do any real off-roading, I just need it for the utility aspect (4 wheel drive and towing). I live in a mountainous and snowy area and I also own 2 motorcycles that i'd like to tow at will.

For mods, I pretty much had these in mind: tow hitch and wiring harness, clear signals/marker lights to clean up the look, intake, maybe an exhaust mod, roof basket, window tint, and a head unit for aux/USB input. Pretty standard but keep those in mind for the choices at hand.

Option 1 is a '99 4 door sport, 4.0 I-6, 5 speed, black with hideous brown interior, 144k miles and it already has the clear lights plus an aftermarket head unit (except a cruddy one). $4500, 3 hours away.

Option 2 is a 2000 4 door sport, 4.0 I-6, 5 speed, grey with black interior, 179k miles and it has a tow hitch and harness, that expensive K&N intake and window tint already. $4000, 5 minutes away.

Are there any differences between the two model years? The 2000 is newer, cheaper, better colors, has some expensive mods already done but has 35k more miles. 179 just seems really high, 144 seems high already so I'm having trouble pulling the trigger. If you all could give me some opinions and steer me in the right direction on this I'd greatly appreciate it. Also if you want to give me some pointers on things to look over closely on these like common problems or rust spots just let me know. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by RememberTheMallamo; 02-07-2012 at 02:59 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

not a fan of wheeling? you must have never gone then
I vote 1999 xj because it still has the high pinion front axle. the five speed is sporty and I prefer it
and low miles are almost priceless as our beloved jeeps grow older. but they go over 300,000 if maintained properly

but youre not building it. so just get the nicest one you can find closeby. from a dealer if you want assured quality. around 4000 isnt a bad price

Last edited by Atmos; 02-07-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001

Originally Posted by RememberTheMallamo
My first post here... I'm excited to join the ranks of Cherokee owners, always thought they were cool as hell but I'm a speed freak so I've always owned cars only. I'm not a fan of "wheelin'" and don't intend to do any real off-roading, I just need it for the utility aspect (4 wheel drive and towing). I live in a mountainous and snowy area and I also own 2 motorcycles that i'd like to tow at will.

For mods, I pretty much had these in mind: tow hitch and wiring harness, clear signals/marker lights to clean up the look, intake, maybe an exhaust mod, roof basket, window tint, and a head unit for aux/USB input. Pretty standard but keep those in mind for the choices at hand.

Option 1 is a '99 4 door sport, 4.0 I-6, 5 speed, black with hideous brown interior, 144k miles and it already has the clear lights plus an aftermarket head unit (except a cruddy one). $4500, 3 hours away.

Option 2 is a 2000 4 door sport, 4.0 I-6, 5 speed, grey with black interior, 179k miles and it has a tow hitch and harness, that expensive K&N intake and window tint already. $4000, 5 minutes away.

Are there any differences between the two model years? The 2000 is newer, cheaper, better colors, has some expensive mods already done but has 35k more miles. 179 just seems really high, 144 seems high already so I'm having trouble pulling the trigger. If you all could give me some opinions and steer me in the right direction on this I'd greatly appreciate it. Also if you want to give me some pointers on things to look over closely on these like common problems or rust spots just let me know. Thanks in advance!
You'll get better mileage with the 5 speed if you like to shift. Gas was $3.50/gal today. I'm not convinced that the KN adds enough power (maybe 5-10 hp if everything is working) to matter in your decision making.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:05 AM
Seasoned Member

Both are five speeds, sorry if there was any confusion. The only real differences between them are color, mileage and a few mods. I'm tempted to get the 2000 because I really like the color combination and already having the hitch saves me some time and money. It also appears to have newer tires though I wouldn't say the '99 is in need of them any time soon. I am just weary about the issues with overheating and blowing head gaskets that everyone talks about on the 2000-01 model years. The 2000 has very good service records with frequent oil changes and some very up to date preventative maintenance done with drive belts replaced and such. The high vs. low pinion axle will probably make no difference to me. So tell me, would YOU get a 2000 Cherokee with 179,000 miles knowing what they're capable of problem wise?
Old 02-11-2012, 03:08 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Atmos
not a fan of wheeling? you must have never gone then
I've been before with my dad and I can see why it's fun I just don't understand why people would purposefully put their vehicles in that kind of position usually seeing "how far can I go?" then getting stuck and needing pulled out. And then putting the amount of money into it that some people do baffles me. I'd much sooner put those funds towards LOWERING a car, not jacking it up. Performance is more my thing, nothing like a track day or autoXing. But to each his own.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:42 PM
CF Veteran

I've been before with my dad and I can see why it's fun I just don't understand why people would purposefully put their vehicles in that kind of position usually seeing "how far can I go?" then getting stuck and needing pulled out. And then putting the amount of money into it that some people do baffles me. I'd much sooner put those funds towards LOWERING a car, not jacking it up. Performance is more my thing, nothing like a track day or autoXing. But to each his own.
anyone can drive fast.
its a jeep thing. you wouldnt understand
Old 02-11-2012, 02:12 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

And putting a suspension kit on a jeep isnt a performance thing? Sounds like you're still into the 80's honda crx's. Have fun with that.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:21 PM

Year: 1998

Originally Posted by zimdogg
And putting a suspension kit on a jeep isnt a performance thing? Sounds like you're still into the 80's honda crx's. Have fun with that.
Hey lowered isn't necessarily a bad thing.... Right ?

Old 02-11-2012, 02:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Not anyone can drive fast. Not even anyone can drive fast in a straight line let alone around a track. I'm not a fan of underpowered four cylinder NA front wheel drive cars. I'm coming from a mazdaspeed6, 274 hp, 280 tq, all-wheel-drive, a cherokee is a huge downgrade to me. You guys need to check your pride at the door. "Anyone can drive a 4x4 through a mud puddle and over some dirt hills."
Old 02-11-2012, 02:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Performance in my opinion is not putting a suspension kit on a Jeep, no. Performance to me is handling. Not making your vehicle a roll-over waiting to happen.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:34 PM

Name:  LvLfT.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  70.2 KB
Old 02-11-2012, 02:43 PM
Seasoned Member

If you're referring to the nonhelpful posters putting pictures of lowered Cherokees then yeah, it's pretty obvious. Gotta love how defensive people get when you have a difference of opinion. Tim Tebow forbid someone not have the same interests as you. Are there any members on this forum who are willing to be helpful to a potential casual Cherokee owner?
Old 02-11-2012, 02:43 PM
CF Veteran

Not anyone can drive fast. Not even anyone can drive fast in a straight line let alone around a track. I'm not a fan of underpowered four cylinder NA front wheel drive cars. I'm coming from a mazdaspeed6, 274 hp, 280 tq, all-wheel-drive, a cherokee is a huge downgrade to me. You guys need to check your pride at the door. "Anyone can drive a 4x4 through a mud puddle and over some dirt hills."
oooooh do you get that all at the wheels? hahaha yeah thats a 'performance' car alright

Last edited by Atmos; 02-11-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Year: 1997

Get the least rusty one and keep it stock. With regular oil changes and basic maintenance it will haul your bikes for years. Check the floor pans and wheel arches for rust. Hell, just check everything that isn't shiny for rust.
I'd forget about going fast in a Jeep, it's just not what they're for.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:47 PM
CF Veteran

haha yeah we are a little defensive about our rust piles here
I would pick the 99 with lower miles. but its all personal preference
either one of those would be a decent daily driver
any other questions?

Quick Reply: which of these 2 XJs should I buy?