Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Thanks for all the help guys, I've joined the club!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 12:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Thanks for all the help guys, I've joined the club!

Thanks to everyone for all the advice. Just today I registered my new(to me) 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport.
Has 157k on it and some minor things to fix but I picked her up for $2,300 so overall I'm pretty happy.
looks to me like it has the Chrysler 8.25 rear axle, starts up nice, everything runs great. Originally when going into 4x4 full it clanked/jerked once and then again a couple minutes later, Never did it again after that, I'm assuming it was just engaging and not to mention the previous owner had never used 4x4 Full, only part time. I think she will fair me well for semi-daily driving, beach/fishing trips, and occasional offroading once I add some goodies.

Some Pictures at the bottom

Current Issues to fix:

1) Passenger window doesn't close (bad relay)

2) Lift Gate hydraulics going bad (picked up new hydraulics for $17 each on amazon)

3) Lift gate rubber stoppers were rotten (replaced with new ones for $3 on amazon)

4) Center console loose w. broken latch (replaced the latch for $20 on amazon and tightened down the console earlier. going to try and find a way to fasten it better so it doesn't wobble at all.)

5) AC blows kinda cool but not cold

6) Doors can unlock from driver side but not Lock, Passenger side can lock/unlock no problem

7) Trunk release cable is snapped, needs replacement (previous owner had some braided cable attached to it)

8) Possible seepage from Power Steering, Oil, & Transfer case (no real leaks, nothing dripping)

9) Sugar ant infestation???.... Today I saw them coming out from under the back seat belt buckle/carpet
debated bug bombing them but someone said that **** may get stuck in my filters and vents. I went with poison traps instead... filled the back of the Jeep with 8 of them. I plan to have it professionally detailed once I get it back from my mechanic as well.

10) front windshield has 2 chips.. I have glass coverage on it so I may make a claim

11) rear glass rubber seal is coming off, looks like someone may have added a type of caulking at some point. probably should be redone.

12) Headliner is sagging

After I run through this list, minus maybe the headliner, and install the new fender flares I have coming tomorrow. I would like to add a lift, new wheels/tires, maybe leaf springs (part of a lift package?). I also want to convert the interior lighting to LED and change out the headlamps and other lights for new/better ones. Longer term I plan to have my cousin (owns a body shop) help me rhino or x-line the entire jeep, maybe rip out carpets & headliner to do the interior and I would like to get a bull bar/front bumper, rear bumper, rear swinging tire mount, and some added offroad lights.

Old 05-07-2015, 12:36 AM

Also, ignore the rear hitch... I was able to put my key through it so it will be going in the trash and being replaced with a new one if I need it.
Nothing else was rusted like that.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:06 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Congratulations and Condolences!
Old 05-07-2015, 05:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Just remember jeep stands for just empty every pocket.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:04 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Welcome to the madness. Hope you brought your meds. LOL
Old 05-07-2015, 01:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Welcome, looks real clean inside. I would keep that carpet till it looks bad or smells bad. Smells bad usually happens first in my experience.lol.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Year: 1999

Welcome to the addiction, um, I mean hobby. Yeah, that's it.

We all have those little things to fix up before we get started. At least you are taking care of the need tos before you drop all the cash into the want tos.

Congratulations.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:52 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Originally Posted by Kurcide
Originally when going into 4x4 full it clanked/jerked once and then again a couple minutes later, Never did it again after that, I'm assuming it was just engaging and not to mention the previous owner had never used 4x4 Full, only part time.
You probably ought to swap all your fluids, including the transfer case.

4) Center console loose w. broken latch (replaced the latch for $20 on amazon and tightened down the console earlier. going to try and find a way to fasten it better so it doesn't wobble at all.)
A member here (ccooper1234) makes a steel replacement for that plastic center console mount that likes to break and wobble. He just posted that he has just fabbed up another 15 for sale. I bought one that I haven't installed yet, but I can say from my initial inspection that it's well-made. Check out this thread for more info:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f74/19...racket-158249/

9) Sugar ant infestation???.... Today I saw them coming out from under the back seat belt buckle/carpet
debated bug bombing them but someone said that **** may get stuck in my filters and vents. I went with poison traps instead... filled the back of the Jeep with 8 of them. I plan to have it professionally detailed once I get it back from my mechanic as well.
Was this thing sitting somewhere for a while?

I would hold off on bombing it. Just vacuum it out. You may have to vacuum it a couple of times. Ants usually want a path to the ground from buildings and vehicles. When you get an ant infestation, it's usually because the vehicle was sitting right on top of an ant colony, with the queen staying underground. Once you move it, the ants have lost their path back to their queen and they'll just leave looking for their colony.

I had this happen in a Corvette I had when I lived in Florida. I pulled the seat forward to get into the storage area, and they went nuts. Oh, the joys of living in a semitropical climate. I left the door open and seat forward for a little while, and when I came back they were gone. I parked the car in a different part of the yard and never had another problem.

If the infestation persists, you can actually get rid of it with an ozone generator, but I seriously doubt you'll get to that point.

12) Headliner is sagging
Easy fix. There are write-ups here and several videos on YouTube showing you how to replace the headliner. They sell the foam-backed material at local fabric stores.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:59 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 05-08-2015, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by extrashaky
You probably ought to swap all your fluids, including the transfer case.

A member here (ccooper1234) makes a steel replacement for that plastic center console mount that likes to break and wobble. He just posted that he has just fabbed up another 15 for sale. I bought one that I haven't installed yet, but I can say from my initial inspection that it's well-made. Check out this thread for more info:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f74/19...racket-158249/

Was this thing sitting somewhere for a while?

I would hold off on bombing it. Just vacuum it out. You may have to vacuum it a couple of times. Ants usually want a path to the ground from buildings and vehicles. When you get an ant infestation, it's usually because the vehicle was sitting right on top of an ant colony, with the queen staying underground. Once you move it, the ants have lost their path back to their queen and they'll just leave looking for their colony.

I had this happen in a Corvette I had when I lived in Florida. I pulled the seat forward to get into the storage area, and they went nuts. Oh, the joys of living in a semitropical climate. I left the door open and seat forward for a little while, and when I came back they were gone. I parked the car in a different part of the yard and never had another problem.

If the infestation persists, you can actually get rid of it with an ozone generator, but I seriously doubt you'll get to that point.

Easy fix. There are write-ups here and several videos on YouTube showing you how to replace the headliner. They sell the foam-backed material at local fabric stores.

Thanks for all the information! I am going to contact that guy for the bracket.
For the ants, I put some traps in the Jeep and my mechanic has it so it so if they had a nest underground they are far from it now. After I get it back I will have it detailed, that should take care of them and prevent any more coming back.
Old 05-08-2015, 03:12 PM
CF Veteran

A word about the lining on the roof and the floor pans if you remove the headliner it will make the interior very hot. The floors if carpet and insulation are removed will be hot from the muffler, cat, exhaust plus it will be very noisy inside the cab.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:34 PM

Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

LOL this post is the 1st post I have read that has scared me about owning an XJ.
My dad owned 2, friend has owned a couple, they had them forever with no issues. Now I am reading all the comments like uh oh.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Stuey1975
LOL this post is the 1st post I have read that has scared me about owning an XJ.
My dad owned 2, friend has owned a couple, they had them forever with no issues. Now I am reading all the comments like uh oh.
Well, you have to remember the newest XJ is 14 years old. They are a solid vehicle but most will definitely need some love. Even the best of them will have something that needs a little attention.

Don't be scared.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:57 AM
CF Veteran

As a daily driver they are fine,Once you start going off road that is where things start to add up.A lift ain't cheap same thing for bigger tires all that adds up,And you will break things off road if you push it hard enough to find a weak link.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1989 Limited
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I-6 4.0L AMC Renix

Ok. I've had a lot of those issues. Sugar ants is something I haven't heard of though XD you can just take out the headliner and the metal roof will be painted the car color but it will be noisier but cleaner looking until you can buy the fabric replacement at Pepboys or Autozone. The AC has a puncture in the tube somewhere. It's a thin black looking one so just cut out the punctured part and get a rubber tube that's just big enough to fit both ends in either side connecting the tube. Don't need to buy a new tube. Just about 4-5" of slightly larger piping. The driver window sticks in my XJ also. I don't close it all the way but so it is the same level as the weather stripping at the base. If it gets stuck open the door and slam it shut. Seemed to work for me. And the door locks is an issue for me also. Just clean with a strong water spray to get grime out and lube the lock joints and connector heads (the metal thing sticking out of the door frame) with some grease/wd-40 and press the door unlock button on the outside a few times and open and close it to get the lube through all of the joints in the lock. And for the trunk, my dad put on 2 new hydraulics that are stronger than stock and it lifts by itself when I open the trunk. My locking mechanism for the trunk is loose so the trunk makes rattling noises when going over bumpy surfaces. Fixing the lock back there is probably something you should have a locksmith or extremely good jeep mechanic do because if not done right, the trunk won't close or lock/unlock. Just be wary. And with the steering issue I would get it diagnosed by a trusted jeep mechanic. You don't happen to be near Los Angeles or chatsworth in California do you?

Quick Reply: Thanks for all the help guys, I've joined the club!