Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 09:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default taking my doors off and ran into bigger problems

so yesterday i was trying to take my doors off my 97 and i broke the 2 t 40 wrenches i had and stripped the one bolt in the bottom rear corner the hardest to reach bc that is were the frame turns. so i went on to plug in everything and i go and check to make sure everything is working and windows work but locks dont work and they turn the radio on yeah not funny . so i turned on the truck to see if the computer needed to be reset, now my dash isnt working the rpms is down and it says no bus in the mileage. so i disconnected the battery and was checking over all the plugs again while the battery was off. so pluged the battery back in and everything was fine so i put the kicker plates back on and nothing works again. so at this point i am like wtf. so i took the kiker plates off again and everything worked fine and i wiggled the wires on the passenger side by the fuse panel and it happened again. so i am asking if anyone has ever had this problem to help me and lead me in the right direction to the wires bc there is A LOT OF F###ING WIRES IN THERE and i am not electrical smart. so any help would be great thanks
Old 04-08-2012, 09:44 AM

Year: 1999

My other jeep I had alot of problems with it say "no bus" all the time and itd kill the gauges. But I'm thinking that someone on here told me that it could possibly be a bad connector on the back of the dashboard. Let me dig threw some stuff here and see. I never bothered to fix mine did let bother me to much so idk I'd it's even work.

Also as far as the door lock and radio thing not real sure on that one.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:22 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

when this problem occurs , just punch the dash really hard til everything comes back . its probbly a bad ground somewhere. not so electrical smart .but you could run a diagnostics , or dissconnect certain parts til you find the issue , make sure no fuses are blown , and check your manual to see what fuse powers what . take a fuse out one at a time , while having the problem and see what stops it?. long process but accurate . diagnostics cost a few dollars but can be used for many problems . me personnaly i just rewire new wires into the corroded . old , rotted blown wires etc.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:12 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 I6

i got it guys it was the ground for the main supplier plug in the top rear corner the bolt in the middle is the ground and it was loose so i tightened that up real good and reset the battery and it is all good now just got to go for a road test thanks for the help guys