Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Sway bar 95 XJ

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 01:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sway bar 95 XJ

So I am in the process of removing the rear sway bar. All that I have heard of removing the front is that I should get disconnects.. Why shouldnt I just remove the whole thing like I am doing with the rear?
Old 11-29-2011, 04:04 AM
AoA

Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.2L bored out 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by Bminnillo
So I am in the process of removing the rear sway bar. All that I have heard of removing the front is that I should get disconnects.. Why shouldnt I just remove the whole thing like I am doing with the rear?
yea, rear does very little, but the front does a lot. if you dont use the highway no front swaybar is tolerable, but at high speeds things get iffy.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:30 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

This thread will likely get out of hand very quickly. Removing the front sway bar leads to heavy body roll. IF you can handle that and know what to do when things around you go to **** remove the front one. IF not you will likely roll with or without the front sway bar however there are tons of members on this forum that seem to think swerving at 70 with a sway bar on will not roll over...I have been driving without one for a while now it has made a trip to Houston, TX through Denver, CO, from Rapid City, SD which is a little over 24hrs in the snow without incident. If you know how to drive and drive it like a truck there will be no issues and the added flex is great offroad.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:57 AM

So the advantage of disconnects is that I can just reattach for highway driving?
Ok. Is the body roll noticable in around town driving?
Old 11-29-2011, 12:32 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0, comp cam, 99 intake, apn header, neon injectors, Thunderbolt 2.5" High Flow Cat

nobody can answer that question directly for your jeep, all jeeps are different, especially once we've started modifying them. Me personally? I have the RC 4.5 short arm with full leaf packs. I never got around to getting quick disconnects because well, at first I didn't have the extra money after just installing the lift, so I was bolting the sway bar links on to drive and removing them to wheel. To be honest, driving on the highway with and without them I couldn't tell the difference so I've just left em off for the past year or so. But, my springs are pretty stiff and don't allow alot of body roll. Friend of mine has the 3" lift though and with his sway bars disconnected it's almost scary how far it leans in the corners. That's because his 3" springs are alot softer than my 4.5" springs. So it really depends on your setup. Also your driving style. if you corner harder than you should, then you're gonna notice a bigger difference between having a sway bar hooked up, and not having one hooked up.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:27 PM

Would there be a problem if I disconnect it right by the tire to wheel. But leave the other mounts on it connected?
Old 11-29-2011, 07:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Body roll is very noticeable and makes driving on the road unstable at best. If it is a daily driver, I would not remove the front sway bar.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:39 PM

Well.. I ripped off the sway bar. Took it around the block and down a rocky trail.

Love it! Way better articulation and less friction on the suspension. Really got dome good flex compared to yesterday. Haha

Sway bar 95 XJ-forumrunner_20111129_183846.jpg
tires are shipped and on their way!
Old 11-29-2011, 10:37 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0, comp cam, 99 intake, apn header, neon injectors, Thunderbolt 2.5" High Flow Cat

Originally Posted by mr white
Body roll is very noticeable and makes driving on the road unstable at best. If it is a daily driver, I would not remove the front sway bar.
see? told you results varied... what springs are you running?
Old 11-29-2011, 10:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Donnie_K
see? told you results varied... what springs are you running?
I've driven a stock jeep without a front sway bar and I will not do it again.
Right now I have 4.5in RC springs and don't want to even try it.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:47 PM
CF Veteran

yeah, stock springs are a lot softer, like I was saying... I'd still prefer quick disconnects, but with my 4.5in springs (same as you now which you haven't tried), I can barely tell the difference. Stock would be even scarier than the 3"
Old 11-29-2011, 11:55 PM

Im running everything bone stock I drove it around for a while. Its pretty noticable but the farthest that I drive on pavement on a regular basis is under 3 miles. (My whole town has three stoplights)
Old 11-30-2011, 01:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Stock mine was scary as hell but my 4.5" rc springs are extremely stiff so I don't have mine on
Old 11-30-2011, 01:31 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.oh

In my opinion a stock truck without the front sway bar is like driving a waterbed down the road, but as said before its all about what you feel comfortable with.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:29 AM

I drive aggressivly on pavement and I definateley noticed the body roll. It doesnt seem that scary. I am also in the market for new springs :P

Quick Reply: Sway bar 95 XJ